LegacyGT.com

08+ STI Brembos on an 05 LGT

Okay, so today I went through and test fitted a bunch of stuff to clear up questions I had. Great news is I will spread the information to everyone here.

What I have

08+ STI Black Brembo calipers Front and rear. So let's start with the Fronts

Front 08+ STI Brembo calipers cleaned, and greased where necessary

Brembo front brake pads part # P54039N made for 04+ STI

OEM Brembo bolts X4 part number 901120103

DBA 4000 series rotors made for the 04+ STI drilled and slotted and dual drilled for 5×114/5×100 fitment.

With these parts everything mounted right up no problems after doing more research I found that any 04 STI rotor would work I just found the DBA's at a great price. The brake pads were the same thing found a great price.

To the rears..... this is where I have some issues and questions if anyone can help answer them

08+ STI Brembo calipers cleaned and greased where necessary

Brembo brake pads for 04+ STI part number P56048N

04 STI Brembo slotted rotors

OEM Brembo rear caliper bolts X4 part number 901000326

I found that the rear caliper will mount directly after you remove the dust shield, but if you use the LGT rotor the brake pad goes beyond the friction surface towards the inside of the rotor, and with the 04 STI rotor the offset will not work and it puts the caliper just out of range to mount to the factory brake location. Good news was that the 04 STI rotor had no problems with my ebrake and that was still functional, I'm not sure if this was a specially made rotor with the 170 mm drum brake and not the normal 190 mm drum brake, but again got a great price on the rotors and maybe I got lucky with it also.

Removing the dust shield is fairly easy, just used a mallet and a flat head screw driver to pull the dust shield away from the hub a bit so I could see where the spot welds were, drilled them out, pulled a bit more and it came off. Did some grinding to remove any excess metal and then spray painted the area with some high temp engine enamel to prevent rust.

I know KNS and a few other companies make a bracket to adapt the 04-07 STI Brembo rear calipers to work with our cars and an 04 STI rotor, but I have not seen anything for the 08+ Brembos. The offset changed a bit from what I have read and the piston size went up by about 6mm. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong btw.

My questions are,

1) is there a specialized bracket anyone knows of for the 08+ Brembos

2) is there a differently tooled rotor on the market that might work for this application, for example maybe an 08+ rotor that is dual drilled (5×114/5×100)

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Edited by PimpFro
Missing information

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

I wonder what set up the tuned by STI Liberty in Australia is running, I thought I saw them with the black brembos. I will have to keep looking around. Any Aussie in here that can check out one of those and let me know?

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

I wonder what set up the tuned by STI Liberty in Australia is running, I thought I saw them with the black brembos. I will have to keep looking around. Any Aussie in here that can check out one of those and let me know?

It's just paint. The S402 uses silver 6 piston front Brembos that you'll also find on S203 and S204. The matching silver 2 piston rears are the same as the gold 04-07 USDM (02-07 JDM) STi Brembos.

Do you or anyone by chance know if for the rears they utilize the KNS bracket or was there a different thing in Japan/Australia

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

Do you or anyone by chance know if for the rears they utilize the KNS bracket or was there a different thing in Japan/Australia

Yes, the backing plate is different. You can find them on Yahoo Japan Auctions but they tend to get pretty expensive.

Before on the front

18485860_10202799112976027_4520159871160316949_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=8bf91825ce1c0e63360a836665c8198d&oe=597A3BDA

And after on the front

18486287_10202799118776172_618459029300415505_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2bd1cb89bdbecd637c3947a76667b80e&oe=59BAFFAF

All the parts needed are listed in the first post here is a pic of the OEM bolts in their bag.

18581777_10202799114896075_367061402926288487_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=d049e833fc557c06fd5ad8fc0f243bc0&oe=597B0620

Like I have stated in the first post everything bolts right up, just make sure your mounting surfaces are clean, and everything that needs to be greased is greased. After your done bleed ALL of the brakes to ensure you don't have any air in the lines (each caliper has 2 bleeders on them) Make sure you have clearance with your wheels and clean up so you don't have brake fluid on everything. I will add info about the rears after I get that going correctly.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi all,

I have exactly the same issue for rear now on 2024. 

If we could find brake discs with same ref but height 67.5 -> 63.5 it would work perfectly.

63.5mm is the height of rear discs from 2008 WRX Impreza, but if I take this disc, the handbrake part is not the same, so my black STi caliper doesn't fit (touching center of rotor).

I can add a 5mm shim inside (between disc and hub) but it is a workaround, not a solution.

Now my question is, what hell are rear calipers and hubs on the 2005 "tuned by STi", because if it is the hub same as Legacy OEM and the caliper is the same as 2 pots rear black STi, the brake disc will necessarily be a separate model. The one we are all looking for !

Another one question is, does it exist brake disc on aluminum hub for STi rear ? In this case, we could make custom aluminum hubs and purchase only the disc part !?

The "Tuned by STI" has a different rear backing plate and different calipers.  They were made from 2004-2007, the 2008-2014 rear brembo's are different enough that you need a new adapter bracket to run them, as well as new ebrake shoes & rotors.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here