LegacyGT.com

Lean AFR's on 91oct safe map?

02rusWRX

I've been running my 'performance' E85 14psi map all Summer, since first getting tuned in May. This weekend I decided to make sure I can re-flash the ECU to my 91 oct, 10 psi 'safe/economy' map. When done, I did some datalogging and wanted to share my results.

I'm attaching a log of a quick 2nd or 3rd gear pull. I'm a noob at this, but everything looks good, except for AFR's. At WOT, AFR's only drop into 11's at about 4500 RPM, which is when I'm guessing the car goes into closed loop. Until that point, AFR's are in the 13-14 range. Also, it looks like there's A LOT of A/F correction that happens before open loop.

Does this all look kosher to you experienced tuners? I'm only planning to use this map in situations where I can't find E85, such as a road trip, or in the winter time, if E85 makes cold starts unbearable. However, I'd like to be able to run the 91 map without being afraid that something's gonna blow up.

Thanks as always for the input!

-Sergei

Stage 2 91oct 10psi.csv

AF correction bounces all over the place, I wouldn't worry about that at all.

There's a delay on the transition from closed loop to open loop - I think the purpose is to avoid going into open loop unless you really mean it, probably for emissions or fuel economy. If you set the 'closed loop to open loop transition delay' values to zero, the transition happens immediately when the AFR value in the open loop fuel table drops below the threshold (the threshold is a single value defined in another table). A lot of tuners (including me, and LBGT) use that approach to keep things simple.

The delay in the transition to open loop was particularly lengthy for 07+ STIs, which seem to have popped a lot more motors than would be normal. Some people think the pistons have gotten weaker, my guess is that it's just the tune.

I haven't looked at the log, so I'm just talking generalities here. If you want I can take a look at it this evening.

^ That makes sense, and please take a look at the log when you get a chance. Since the 91 oct is a low boost/backup map, it would be easy to assume that my tuner never changed the o/l c/l transition delay from the stock values.

It's also interesting that on this map, I'm not seeing any of the wastegate duty ramping issues, like I do on my E85 map. My guess is that the boost level on this map is so low that WGDC never goes high enough to prompt the glitch in the ECU.

For example, on my E85 map, as I go to WOT and the turbo spools, WGDC goes to 60% then bounces back to 30%, then back up to 60% which causes awkward boosting. On this 91 map, WGDC goes to just 29% and pretty much just stays there without any weird ramping issues. I can feel it in drivability too! The car is smoother and less jittery when spooling, albeit much slower than on the E85 map.

Archived