LegacyGT.com

Airbag light...sometimes. Console problem?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to the guide/pics from Crazy_Pilot I just did this today and it seemed straight-forward enough. I also went ahead and did D1 with R1 since they looked a little thin.

Before

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/theflystyle/2013-02-23_14-05-26_43_zps148287a6.jpg

After

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn257/theflystyle/2013-02-23_15-28-25_605_zps3b372bbb.jpg

To the pros, does that seem like its ok?

:(. Pass airbag light on in my overhead and occasionally dash airbag lights are on. Really don't want to take it to the dealership if I don't have to. Hoping there's a fix in the future. Have to scan the thread and see if anyone mentioned where the wires under the seat are because I couldn't see them at first look and don't want to mess with the wrong stuff.

I'm been getting the airbag light 80% of the time in the past couple months. This weekend I took the overhead panel apart and soldered the little board back together. No light this morning on the way to work!

Edit: I snapped a few pictures while fixing mine, for anyone who worries this repair is beyond them.

1. Remove the map light cover (pry on the sides with your finger nails)

2. Remove the two philips screws holding the panel to the roof.

3. Remove the panel (it has 3 prongs that hold it against the headliner on the front edge)

4. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/crazy_pilot/2008%20Legacy%20Spec%20B/IMG_1214-1.jpg

5. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/crazy_pilot/2008%20Legacy%20Spec%20B/IMG_1213.jpg

6. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/crazy_pilot/2008%20Legacy%20Spec%20B/IMG_1210.jpg

7. Re-solder any other components you feel like. I did D1, R1 (the 511 guy), and all the resistors on the other side.

8. Put back together!

You don't need much experience soldering to take care of this, I've only done it a few times myself. Let the iron heat up, melt a decent amount of solder onto the tip, shake/tap to remove the excess, and then place the tip against the joint you want to fix. Once the board heats up enough the solder will flow down. I basically filled the corners with a nice little dot of solder on each one.

Second edit: I'm sorry if that last picture is sideways, Photobucket shows it straight and then upside down if I use the "rotate" function. Meh.

Any fixes for the dash airbag light yet?

3 out of the 4 subarus I've owned have had this same problem.

In all 3 it was the harness under the passenger or drivers side. It was caused by either my Mag Light or a plastic soda bottle. If you're a clean freak then it's probably something else.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

3 out of the 4 subarus I've owned have had this same problem.

In all 3 it was the harness under the passenger or drivers side. It was caused by either my Mag Light or a plastic soda bottle. If you're a clean freak then it's probably something else.

I'm a clean freak. I condition my leather regularly and I am in a car wash club so I get a full detail every week or more for less than $1 a day. That being said I'm the second owner. Just bought it last week. Nothing on the carfax but that doesn't always mean it's accident free although it looks good. Other than that I am waiting for that lovely tax stuff to come in to have a subaru dealer inspect it top to bottom so I know what I need to fix lol

the next time the light comes on reach under both seats and press the harnesses together, then turn the car off then back on.

My wife's OBS had a bad harness under the passenger seat and in the door.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

the next time the light comes on reach under both seats and press the harnesses together, then turn the car off then back on.

My wife's OBS had a bad harness under the passenger seat and in the door.

I don't suppose you want to put some pics of where exactly you are talking about?? I have fully electronic seats so there's quite a few wires under there

• 3 months later...
Old bump, I know. The harnesses under the seat are found on Foresters and Impreza/Outback Sports. Full size Outback and Legacy will more than likely have the cold solder joint problem in the overhead console. Edited by Danteneon
spelling

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I did the reflow/soldering on both sides and is currently working after installation. Thanks for the research and trailblazing. You all have saved me lots of time and money!