LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefits of fueling on a 16G with pump gas are negligible. They exist, but not worth the money IMO.

If/When I get a retune I'm probably just going to throw a DW65C in there and run some 12ga wire because I'll be spending a lot more on whatever I'm changing so I might as well do that too.

With that said I'm running a similar set up as you posted and am enjoying it very much.

Not to hijack but since i was questioned here we go. Also, like i mentioned it could have been done a lot cheaper but is what i consider a good stage 3 build for my goals in addition to my current mods. It was a lot more than i originally would have thought, so that's why I spoke up earlier.

100k - Maintenance

Crank Pulley

Water Pump

Water Pump Gaskets

Gates Timing belt kit

Thermostat

Thermostat Gasket

Spark Plugs

Crank Pulley Removal Tool

Accessory Belts

Coolant

Brake Fluid

Power Mods

Up-Pipe w/ Flex

BOV

EBCS

Fuel Pump

Fuel Pump O-Ring

Group N Engine Mounts

Turbo Inlet

EcuTek

E-Tune plus E85

Wideband O2 Sensor

KS Tech Intake

Heat Wrap 2" x 50"

Gaskets

Fuel Injectors w/ T1 Top Feed Conversion

T1 Fuel Lines

Installed and tuned the BNR18G.

Supporting mods:

-Process West intercooler

-3port EBCS

-K/N panel filter

-DW65c pump

-catless up/down pipes, OEM catback

probably more that I can't think of right now.

Since I'm on OEM injectors, I'm currently tuned to ~95% max IDC. Details on flow, boost, etc to follow, but I absolutely love this turbo. Even detuned it is a completely different car. Lost some power down low, but gained some mpg's in the process. The power gained up high is more than worth the extra little bit of lag. I was slightly concerned going with an 18G, but after installing I'm glad I didn't go any smaller.

Dang that was fast! Glad to see it went to good use!

Haha yea... I've been lusting for a turbo for quite awhile now. I literally installed it after work the night it arrived:lol:

Still don't have numbers on flow etc, as my tuner is currently borrowing my Tactrix cable. But we're running 18psi down low, tapering to 16psi per the 95% IDC. But this thing is a machine.. I kept up with some of the STI's on some of our recent cruises.. including an '06 with a knockoff 20G. Just another reason why you don't buy a crap turbo.. or run a 20G on stock injectors :)

Thanks again, Squad.. I literally couldn't be happier with this turbo. Also, props to BNR, because this thing is beautiful.

Will I need an upgraded turbo inlet to go with my 18g setup? I was looking at ordering my KSTech 73mm intake and they are asking about turbo inlet.

No. You can use stock with no sacrifice with an 18g. Actually when a turbo is maxing out the stock inlet tube (20g's can do it) it will most likely max out all inlet tubes. Time to rotate to get more flow into the turbo and kill the bottle neck of going under the manifold.

I have been looking for a bolt-in upgraded turbo for my wife's 2013 FXT. The car is stock right now running the Cobb OTS Stage 1 map. It is a real dog off the line - it is painful to get going. This is the first automatic car my wife and I have ever owned so we have been putting up with it. Today I drove the same car with a VF52 (with DP and e-Tune) and it is much, much more responsive off the line. Her last car was a 2006 WRX with a VF39 and I drive a pro-tuned stage 2 2010 STi.

I want more power but not at the expense of response. I rarely ever drive the car above 3500 rpm. I have been looking for a VF52 but people want a lot of money for a low mileage one. Six Star Speed don't have any in stock so that route is out at the moment. I have read this thread and the BNR turbos look good.

I've been poking around EFI Logics' dyno database and it seems that the Evo3 16G makes less power than a VF52 but responds about the same. I looked at 18G dyno plots and it looks like it spools around 500 rpm later than a VF52 and doesn't make the same power until about 3500 rpm. Does that sound about right?

Whichever turbo I pick up I already have ID1000 injectors, DW65c, Perrin inlet, AEM intake and I am buying a PW TMIC.

Someone wants to blow a trans. VF52 hits faster and harder than any aftermarket turbo you will find for your Forester. The AT trans might go boom with that much low end torque too. The 4EAT can be modded although I am not certain if the newer versions with VDC can be (that is the hang up with modding a 5EAT with VDC).

Thanks for the input. I guess I will keep looking for a VF52.

From what I have read on sf.org the 4EAT has no problem handling the torque a VF52 can make. The guys over there claim it is much stronger than the 5MT found in the WRX. They do recommend a transmission oil cooler though.

I already have a 6 speed swap from an 06 STi (I bought it in case the WRX trans blew) and blowing the 4EAT would be the only way the wife would let me install it in her car :) The FXT only has 6000 miles on it so she's not keen on putting a different trans in there right now ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I was looking for a vf52 and I stumbled across a site that offered a vf52 for 980 they have an "Billet Compressor Wheel Uprade 11 blade 64 trim 62mm race profile" for an additional 190 is it worth it ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So I was looking for a vf52 and I stumbled across a site that offered a vf52 for 980 they have an "Billet Compressor Wheel Uprade 11 blade 64 trim 62mm race profile" for an additional 190 is it worth it ?

If you're interested in all that look into 6starspeed VF52 turbos.

I just installed my Tomioka 18G. Pretty nice turbo, 0 fitment issues besides PCV hitting the housing, but I just got a longer hose and it was no problem to make work. Have about 500 miles on the set up now, 18g, 740cc injectors, Grimmspeed EBCS, GS up pipe, and GS catted downpipe. I needed my car back and running in a few days and did not have time to wait for 6starspeed to build me the billet vf52 I wanted. Overall very happy, everyone says the 18g will be laggy, but honestly its fine for driving even in low RPM's and in the high RPM's just keeps pulling foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr. If I had time, I think I would have liked the 6starspeed custom turbo, but time was not on my side :-(

A local tuner is offering me a slightly used, like new, 20G for $500. The other alternative he offered was a new FP 68HTA, but that's $1299. I've been reading this form for awhile now and what I got out of it was that a 20g will be laggy and a 16 or 18 G would be better for a DD. He claims a 20g is best suited for the 2.5L motors where the 16 or 18G is better for the 2.0s. Thoughts?

Obviously, going with a 20G turbo means changing TMIC, and fueling. Another concern is the engine has 111K on it and I don't know if it would handle the extra HP. Right now I'm bone stock, but want a little more HP.

Obviously, going with a 20G turbo means changing TMIC, and fueling. Another concern is the engine has 111K on it and I don't know if it would handle the extra HP. Right now I'm bone stock, but want a little more HP.

If you're bone stock and want a little more power why are you looking at turbo swaps? You can get a little more power from some tuning and exhaust components.

If you're interested in all that look into 6starspeed VF52 turbos.

I just installed my Tomioka 18G. Pretty nice turbo, 0 fitment issues besides PCV hitting the housing, but I just got a longer hose and it was no problem to make work. Have about 500 miles on the set up now, 18g, 740cc injectors, Grimmspeed EBCS, GS up pipe, and GS catted downpipe. I needed my car back and running in a few days and did not have time to wait for 6starspeed to build me the billet vf52 I wanted. Overall very happy, everyone says the 18g will be laggy, but honestly its fine for driving even in low RPM's and in the high RPM's just keeps pulling foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr. If I had time, I think I would have liked the 6starspeed custom turbo, but time was not on my side :-(

I am looking at the 6starspeed that's why I was wondering if that extra 200 was worth it

A local tuner is offering me a slightly used, like new, 20G for $500. The other alternative he offered was a new FP 68HTA, but that's $1299. I've been reading this form for awhile now and what I got out of it was that a 20g will be laggy and a 16 or 18 G would be better for a DD. He claims a 20g is best suited for the 2.5L motors where the 16 or 18G is better for the 2.0s. Thoughts?

There are a couple of different version of the 20G. The TD05-20G will spool before 3.5K while the larger TD06H-20G will spool a little after 4K.

The 20G is still considered a medium size turbo and is only about 10% larger than the 18G. Even if you want to go with the 16G you would want a new TMIC and injectors or you might lean out on top.

• I Donated
Acumenhokie, Thanks for your reply. I agree, but all this will be depending on the health of my original VF40. If it looks good with no shaft play, I'll go with a modest tune, uppipe and downpipe.

And if it doesn't look good and you want a bit more power, a mild stage 3 with a 16G or VF52 would make more sense IMO.

Still loving my BNR Evo 16G after almost 40,000 miles.

The 20G is still considered a medium size turbo and is only about 10% larger than the 18G. Even if you want to go with the 16G you would want a new TMIC and injectors or you might lean out on top.

I disagree. I'm running a BP stock TMIC and stock injectors. I'm leaving some power on the table with the stock TMIC, but not very much with the stock injectors. If you are tuned properly, you will not lean out. Tuners who even pretend to know what they're doing can taper boost at high RPMs to avoid running out of fuel.

If anything, it makes sense to replace the fuel pump with an upgraded unit. A DW65c is only $150, and it makes sure that you don't run out of fuel if you're pushing your stock injectors past ~95% IDC. I upgraded to the DW65c on my 05, but never got around to taking it out of the tank when I sold it, and haven't prioritized upgrading on my Spec.B. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

A DW65c will raise your headroom approx 2% on stock injectors.

Any TMIC is leaving lots of power on the table over a decent FMIC (the bigger the turbo the more power given up). We do not tune stock LGT TMIC's past 16psi.

With a TD05 20g the cost of hitting boost early is higher EGT's. I would not recommend a TD05 20g on a track car. Especially the few 7cm hotside varieties I have encountered. Long periods of WOT will cause very high EGT's which could lead to catastrophe.