LegacyGT.com

How much time is left on my Transmission?

Hello, I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT with a 5sp.

I recently took the car in for a few repairs and the shop is telling me that they think I only have about a year left on the transmission. They say this because they can hear a noise. Now I am not entirely sure what the noise is as I have owned it for 2 years and it hasnt made any new noises since I have been driving it.

Now I trust this shop quite a bit, they were able to diagnose a bad steering knuckle that 2 other shops were not able to. They said they could hear and feel slight issues the bearing and narrowed it down to a knuckle issue.

But, from what I can tell, the noise they are hearing reminds me of an old army jeep transmission or something really mechanical. I guess almost a whining noise. I only hear it in first mainly at higher RPMs but the shop told me that they hear it in 1st and 3rd but it goes away in 2nd and 4th. I have heard other older legacies making this noise too so I never really thought anything of it.

So, I want to see if this is something anybody else has experienced or if there is anything I can do to help it from failing down the road (ie tranny flush or any addititves) I have never really heard of the 5mt failing so I am not sure if they are looking to get some more money out of me or what? The shop also said it would cost around $2000 to rebuild or I could get a used tranny installed for a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts?

I would question their "knuckle" replacement. The only time a knuckle would be bad is if it was bent. I've never had to replace one because it wore out, it just don't happen. Most repair shops when they can't figure out the correct problem they just make you replace everything thats in relation.

The trans issue, if the fluids are clean and it shifts good then let it go untill you actually have a problem. Not knowing your miles I would say it could be a bearing but don't worry about it yet. Again a shop trying to upsell some work.

Mixing a bunch of different companies fluids could do more harm then good. You could have two or more chemicals that might counter react with eachother and cause them to be less effective. If someone needs such a concoction they have transmission issues that needs to be fixed not just bandied. I can't say this enough miracle in a bottle crap don't work.

extra s is generic OEM fluid. doesn't work nearly as well as the cocktail.

Compare Extra S to a standard Gear oil. Not even the same thickness. Extra s Is almost like water. Cleared up sycro grind in gear 2 on the girls 90 legacy and cleaned up the syncro grind in gear 2 on the 93 SS.

I can't say this enough miracle in a bottle crap don't work.

MMO is great stuff. for all kinds of different applications. id say it was the closest to miracle in a bottle that actually works. that and hair in a can. i havent used any concoctions for transmission rejuvenation, but im not going tosay they dont work, since a few flush and fills alone can make a trans start working better. why wouldnt filling it with chems made specifically for enhancing and soothing age knocks and stiffness help it overall?

Uncle Scotty's cocktail:

1qt Redline HEAVYweight shockproof

1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh

2qt Castrol Hypoy C 80w-90

I haven't tried it. I've read threads where people argue about it's virtues though, lol.

and to the post below saying "mixing a bunch of brands", they're also all different weights. I'm running my own version of a cocktail since I couldn't find all of the proper ones in stores and it made my trans 10000000 times smoother and quieter.

the only issue with my transmission is having 225k on it. all gears work well, clutch and flywheel have like 30k on them, and I installed a sts and bushings shifted fine with regular gear oil, but shifts smooth as butter with the cocktail. you guys should probably try it before debunking it. otherwise you just sound like a little kid who claims he doesn't likes food he's never tasted.

From what I've gathered its preference.

It sounds like utilizing OEM fluids is smart.

It also sounds like the formulation or different oils sounds smart.

I guess whatever works best for you.

No one has mentioned royal purple gear oil.

I swear by that shit

Then there are bigger issues.

That's the point I was trying to make. Bandages only work for so long but I totally understand if someone doesn't have to funds to do the repair and just needs a fix to get by. Sounds like a junkie. LOL.

Archived