LegacyGT.com

Toyota/Subaru sports car details

chenc544

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/26/toyota-subaru-sports-car-details-emerge-answers-big-questions/

For the lazy...

More details have come to the fore about the ongoing development of a lightweight sports car birthed from the union of Toyota and Subaru. Our friends over at 7Tune were kind enough to translate the finer points of an article in Daily Car, and the one burning question -- what platform the new coupe would be derived from -- has been answered.

A test mule has been spotted running around Toyota's test track in Toyota City, built off a shortened Subaru Legacy chassis and powered by the firm's SOHC two-liter flat-four. Although the mule's underpinnings are currently derived from the Legacy's (with about 200mm lopped off), it's expected that a version of the Impreza 15S's platform will be used instead. This gives credence to the idea that the new coupe will send power to the rear wheels, as the AWD chassis could be modified to be exclusively RWD. Currently, the test car is running the all-wheel driveline with the front drive shafts removed.

Subaru's 108 HP 1.5-liter boxer (EL15) is likely to be used to power the new coupe, apparently due to the rear differential's fragility and Toyota's aim of making the coupe as fuel efficient as possible. While barely cresting the 100 HP mark won't set the spec sheet ablaze, the fact that the vehicle will tip the scales at 1,100 kg (2,425 lbs.) should make it a competent performer in the same way as its AE86 forbearer.

If Toyota can keep the weight down (a constant challenge), while keeping the price below 2,000,000 yen, it's rumored that we could see the coupe make its debut sometime next year, with sales beginning later in 2008.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was kindda excited about this project until I saw the specs. 108 hp/2425 lbs... :rolleyes:

Heck, even the old Celica GT has 140 hp with about 2400 lbs curb weight and we are not even talking about the GT-S with the 180 hp engine. IIRC the GT goes for about $16-18k back then. I know it's FWD vs RWD but at this hp level does it matter that much? I'm glad Toyota/Subaru is going the RWD route but give it some balls.

I'll repeat my AB comment - regarding the article's contention that Toyota can use this car as a WRC contender with STi engines and equipment, Subaru will burn down its own factories and execute its engineers before it lets a competitor use its technology to stick it to its team.

I dunno, I think the point is that this is more exciting than the Yaris....and I see Yarii all the time, so why not expand on the idea?

Scratching my ass is more exciting then a yaris.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

That was the idea. Except the AE86 actually has more power and weighted less!!! :eek:

we'll see...no final numbers are out, hell we dont even have a body to put this to, so, its all speculation for now...however if they do market it as ann 86 rebirth, im not gonna be looking forward to insurace rates, as im sure it'll become the new must have drift car, given a good balanced car

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Car is interesting to me. First of all i dont believe those are correct numbers. Toyota isnt stupid. If this car comes over it will have between 130-150hp IMO. Secondly they know the market for this car will be tuners and enthusiasts mostly. I would imagine the aftermarket will be all over this car, which will undoubtly figure out ways to bump hp.

Other than that, where do i sign. 2400lb RWD car, Subaru flat 4, im in. Assuming the car has good F/R balance, some simple suspension upgrades and tires should make this car a ton of fun in twisties and on the track with said power upgrades.

It would be cool if Subaru could produce an awesome sports car, ie legacy STI with crazy power with Toyota pricing. Again, Subaru - awesome at engineering.... terrible at running a company.

Exactly....someonefind them a person who majored in business because they are terrible at it.

Exactly....someonefind them a person who majored in business because they are terrible at it.

Dude I tried to send them my resume. They're only looking for a couple of positions and they're located on the website. Basically only positions that involve distribution and management of product distribution. Nothing regarding product design, marketing, packaging, etc. (all the things they suck at!)

As a side note, there is an article about this car in Car & Driver this month... or it could be Road & Track.

It would be cool if Subaru could produce an awesome sports car, ie legacy STI with crazy power with Toyota pricing. Again, Subaru - awesome at engineering.... terrible at running a company.

Don't forget styling. They need some help in that area too...

if this shows up as a RWD, underpowered, boxer-engined toyota coupe, I am gonna be "not happy".

But I think I made that clear in my comments on the autoblog article (mk is me.)

it is insane that toyota would be getting a boxer powered coupe on a shortened subaru chassis, and Subaru still has nothing for a coupe.

I may still wait, pick one up cheap, and put an STI AWD DCCD drivetrain in it, and completely re-badge it as a Subaru. I shouldn't have to put it back to the right way. That should be the factory configuration.

Archived