LegacyGT.com

Trouble, IAM@0.875 was 1 10 days ago

Deadleave

I do driving logs once a month and maybe every 2 week or so take a learning view cap.

Nothing has changed in the last 10 days in the engine.

The IAM has dropped to 0.875 and I at least know its supposed to stay at 1.

Any ideas ?1735324001_LearningView_SS_9-29-201062859PM.jpg.22721cb6e5a5681d681f658d59d4b6cf.jpg

2088634828_LearningView_SS_9-19-201014640PM.jpg.c1c6012ab424626487d61a295fe95202.jpg

2014618198_LearningView_SS_9-15-201074651PM.jpg.60f9af4bfa0228898802c7818dbe10a0.jpg

2041384102_LearningView_SS_9-2-201051039PM.jpg.f4b82ff3bcfa289ae0a73a5a61686f0b.jpg

I hate to keep going back for expensive retunes, but i dont know if its a tunning issue or something broke. I am still making boost, peaked at 18.41 this morning.

Thanks for any insight.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no, nothing has been changed in the last 10 days.

I did drive over some nasty bumps in NYC, rough enough to toss the jerk the car about. Large pot hole maybe damaged DP ? I am getting paranoid thinking about all the things that could have hit the underside of the car. I remember now some manhole covers that are stick out out of the road like 4-5 inches, wonder if it hit the DP, and pushed on the turbo ?

Should I reset the ECU ? is this a bad idea ?

50,101 miles now, it mixed driving.

Ridge; since your in NY, its sawmill to Henry Hudson to west side highway, then streets near Columbia. and back,

Also; this is protuned on dyno at EFI logic, who have some top notch rep.

Bumpy roads are not going to trigger a functional knock sensor...IMHO. As for the DP, you would probably have an exhaust leak by now. Your ECU is probably seeing alot of knock spread across the map. Even prior to the drop in DAM/IAM you had knock in at least two cells. Best thing to do is reset the ECU, stay away from WOT runs and do a long datalog of total timing, knock sum, throttle plate opening, engine load, and rpm. Drive like normal and you should be able to capture where in the map its occuring.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

bumps in the road will most defiantly trip a knock sensor.... but only if you are WOT

I think you have a tune that just knocks occasionally. I'm gonna take a guess that you were either E-tuned or road tuned. It could be false knock as well.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

last tune was Sept 2nd ,in 75 degree weather. Isn't cold weather better against knock, I mean the air is colder so...less work on the intercooler ?

There is an IAT compensation table for timing that adds timing in cooler weather and subtracts it in warmer weather. If you were tuning in heat and then it got cooler you could be adding as much as 2 or 3 degrees more timing. That's fine and how the stock ecu works, but on a tuned car it may need to be double checked in cooler temps to make sure this table is scaled correctly.

it's the other way around... the hotter the day, the safer your tune will be later

That would be generally true without a compensation table or with a 0'd compensation table but if you have a table that is globally adding timing as temps lower and subtracting it as they rise you could see knock in cooler temps that you didn't see in warmer temps.

If the tuner is tuning right, those tables are not active while he is tuning. So if the tuner can eliminate knock when it's hot out, it will be far more less likely to knock when it's cooler.

Common hot/cold problem we see is someone gets a tune when it's cold, then comes back complaining they're not getting full boost when it's hot. Usually they're at 100% WGDC in the hot and that's all she'll do.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Bumpy roads are not going to trigger a functional knock sensor...IMHO. As for the DP, you would probably have an exhaust leak by now. Your ECU is probably seeing alot of knock spread across the map. Even prior to the drop in DAM/IAM you had knock in at least two cells. Best thing to do is reset the ECU, stay away from WOT runs and do a long datalog of total timing, knock sum, throttle plate opening, engine load, and rpm. Drive like normal and you should be able to capture where in the map its occuring.

Reset ECU, drove home from work in mixed but mostly commuter traffic

Long log. Do you guys see anything in particular I should note or bring up to my tuner ?

Thanks for looking and all the advice.

CSV was over the size limit, so I have uploaded it here.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xa4k6bey56cifzi/romraiderlog_20101001_164643.csv

LV on the otherhand looks clean

1859447774_LearningView_SS_10-1-201051550PM.jpg.714d5b232c935c1dcaffc7838b051976.jpg

Long log. Do you guys see anything in particular I should note or bring up to my tuner ?

I didn't read through the whole thing, but I can see why your IAM dropped. Scroll through the log, only looking at the knock sum column. It goes from 2 to like 12 really fast. You want to get that tuned out. Post up a new LV screenshot.

bumps in the road will most defiantly trip a knock sensor.... but only if you are WOT.

Really, show me a log of that.

The higher the load, the higher the threshold the ECU needs to consider X db as knock.

I have never seen this, and the evidence points more towards the ECU seeing it is knock at low load, not WOT.

it's the other way around... the hotter the day, the safer your tune will be later

:rolleyes:

kinda true, but not always, actually a lot of tuners say the opposite.

In much colder weather one runs the risk of over-boosting and running our of injector.

Both should be tuned properly.

LV on the otherhand looks clean

[ATTACH]90713[/ATTACH]

The time when knock sum goes from 23 to 24 is the only knock sum that is of any concern. And one increment is not really a big deal.

So nothing of MAJOR concern in that log.

Thanks, is there any evidence that there might be boost creep ?

Its hitting 18.5 psi now near 3300 rpm in 3rd.

Thanks, seems like most of the knock is from idle and sitting in traffic....which the ECU should adapt to....

Archived