LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

are koni's monotube or a twintube?

Front insert part number is 8610-XXXX and rear shock is 8010-XXXX. Both twin-tube. You can easily confirm this by collapsing the damper rods with so little force needed, and the rod not springing back out on it's own.

http://www.koni-shock-absorbers.co.uk/images/identifying.gif

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^^^ I could have sworn reading they were monotube. Sorry.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Has anyone confirmed that 4th Gen front lower control arms will work on a 5th gen?

I've seen this post from fahr_side:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=208

Just not sure how certain that "should" is.

I'm asking because my front right LCA may be bent (by 0.3 inch rearward, somehow), and if I have to replace it, the Spec-B or JDM aluminum WRX part may be a good option if it fits AND works. Both sides would get replaced in that case.

I don't want to bend one again, so something stronger is the point. Unsprung weight reduction is a bonus.

Thoughts?

Edited by brandon.mol

Front insert part number is 8610-XXXX and rear shock is 8010-XXXX. Both twin-tube. You can easily confirm this by collapsing the damper rods with so little force needed, and the rod not springing back out on it's own.

http://www.koni-shock-absorbers.co.uk/images/identifying.gif

Thanks. There's the difference between the Bilstein and the Koni pricing. Better control with the Bilsteins. Due to the Bilsteins being monotube, I would say they are well worth the $1k.

I don't necessarily think monotube is inherently better, but it's partly a matter of taste.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So I'm about to order koni inserts and eibach springs.

My car is a 2011 2.5i. A lot of what I see as far as fitment leads me to believe that there is a difference in fitment for the springs for 2010-2012 and 2013-2014. Is this correct? I would hate to tear this car apart just to find out that the parts dont fit my 2011 strut housings.

"Eibach Spring Set. Model # 7722.140. 4 spring set.

Eibach Spring Set. Model # 7722.140 4 spring set. For 2010 and 2011 Subaru LEGACY models."

I don't want to lower the car more than an inch because the wife will surely destroy the front bumper cover again.($1000 including paint)

I'm looking for firm but not too aggressive feel. Am I on the right track here?

You will be all set with those Eibachs. 2010-2014 OEM springs and shocks are physically and dimensionally the same, only the spring rate and damper calving is different.

And you want Koni's for 2008+ WRX fitment, front 8610-1453S and rear 8010-1055S.

If you need any pointers or assistance before or while you do the install, let me know.

Edited by GTEASER

Yes, in August or September of 2013 I think. And people either love them or hate them. RCE still has a few sets for about $999. For a while they were discounted to $799.

I always wanted to do this kit on my 2.5 for awhile. im tempted on doing this. how is the ride on the kit?

If you want smoothness then OEM is for you.

There is endless discussion about the pros and con's of the Bilsteins vs konis vs OEM/kyb.

I've been very vocal about it, following my experience with swapping springs.

So go grab a beer and start reading.

Looking for some help: Had swift springs on stock suspension and after 2 summers couldn't take it anymore (I don't drive much, but it was getting bad after 4,000 kms)

Decided to go with BC coils after reading reviews and considering price, etc. Installed last week, and while things are technically improved over the swift/OEM combination, I still feel like the entire car (comfort, handling, control) is missing something and quite frankly I feel as if something is wrong. Perhaps it is just my expectations associated with the BC coils (assuming they would magically fix everything with the poor handling), but I am not sure what to do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Some Additional Info:

2012 GT

~30,000km

Whiteline rear sway

19" OZ Superleggera with 245/40ZR19 Sumitomo HRT Z III

* have yet to do an alignment because I am debating whether I am happy with the ride height

yet to do an alignment because I am debating whether I am happy with the ride height

^^^ This.

Get a proper alignment, then come back. Your toe is out to lunch, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Do BCs have adjustable rebound damping?

^^^ This.

Get a proper alignment, then come back. Your toe is out to lunch, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Do BCs have adjustable rebound damping?

Compression only and it's marginal from click to click with large jumps between some clicks and no changes between others. Rebound is only found on 2-way systems. Big $$$$ for rebound adjustments.