LegacyGT.com

Subaru AWD FTW

25gtrbo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a nice opportunity for a few of these. Underdog PWNAGE.

http://www.freewebs.com/riceboy927/pwnd.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/hails615/Funny/Animals%20Other/pwnd.jpg

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/fb147.jpg?w=500&h=375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/regnisfon20/Stuff/own3d.jpg

"Where, behind the rabbit??"

"IT IS the rabbit!!!, LOOK AT THE BONES!"

The big boys getting owned by lil' ol' Subaru... classic. :lol:

LOL @ 9:24.

The engine doesn't care whether the weight is on the front or rear axles, it still has to pull the entire weight of the car up the slope.

Since traction is a function of weight on the wheel, having traction on the lower axle's tire(s) should be an easier case than trying the upper wheel(s).

Also, AFAIK Subie's power train layout is the same as everybody else's rearward from the center diff, so there's no need to talk about Symmetric AWD in that case.

^ having said that, I *would* like to see a real-world battle of AWD. Putting a block that the rear wheels have to get over is something of an unrealistic test IMO.

What exactly do you want to see?

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

iirc the test was done by a subaru dealer or affiliate.

so of course they didnt test Quattro..

however they did test the VWs.. I know its a different name on that VW but is it the same system as a quattro?

I'm fairly sure the quattro would pass with flying colors.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Would fail the 1 wheel with grip tests, but shouldn't have a problem getting over the bump.

Without the VDC, i.e., like on my manual 2008 LGT wagon, is the problem that not enough power is available to the wheel with traction? Or is it because of an open differential on the front axles?

Probably the open front diff.

If the one wheel with traction were a rear wheel, the limited slip would shunt at least a bit of power from the other side. and even just a fraction should be enough to get even a slight bit of forward momentum, hopefully toward a better surface, where other tires can grip, also.

With a front open diff, the front wheel with traction just stands, while the other three spin.

It will be interesting to see what Audi does with it's new electro-diff, which can shift torque, somewhat like SH-AWD, in a less complex diff, in addition to a proper center diff, which Honda doesn't seem to have.

If Subaru can come up with a way to combine Variable Torque Distribution with an electronically assisted clutch LSD in both the front and rear differentials, with a constant preload on the rear, and a front diff that can be engaged or disengaged as a limited slip diff, they could solve even the one-front-tire-traction issue, without the parasitic drag and torque effects of constantly steering the front wheels with an LSD between them.

Most limited slips use speed differential between the output sides to work, and even torsen that is a constant mesh, generates heat when the outputs differ in speed, cause trouble for front diffs with a lot of steering input, which involves large speed differences.

An electro-mechanical disengagement for a front limited slip would be great. I love the fact that Subaru and Audi longitudinal AWD are real systems, that aren't slip-respondent, but constant. but a stability-program engaged front LSD would be a great addition to chime in and help when needed, but not generate heat or a lot of drag when not needed.

Archived