LegacyGT.com

Kartboy STS rattle - WTF over

mr.hicksta

Okay my Kartboy STS was one of the first mods installed on my LGT. Over the course of last year it seems to have developed a mean rattle while in 5th gear. I took out the metal ring and dremmeled out the corner where it appeared to be making contact with the STS. On top of that I threw a few layers of duck tape around the metal as some makeshift padding. Well today while driving to work that damn rattlesnake in my shifter boot was going wild. WTF :spin:. I've read a couple threads about various STS installs so I have a couple ideas about what to check, but I figured I'd float my situation to see if anyone has a possible solution. Would it be worth switching to a Cobb STS or would I likely have similar results?

Did you put in polyurethane shift linkage bushings? If so make sure they're still snug. Those often don't fit quite right in the first place and will wear out over time regardless. I got awful rattles from ill-fitting poly shifter bushings on a stock 6MT STS. Stiffer drivetrain mounts cleaned most of the rattling up but it still rattles a bit at high RPM.

I'm not saying bushings are your problem, just something to look into.

Little update to this situation. I checked the bushings and everything was as it should be. I tossed a little Super Lube on them just in case, but unfortunately the rattle is still there. I took everything off (shifter surround, and rubber boot) and did some driving with a friend trying to pinpoint the source of the noise. It actually appears to be the shift knob, which is odd because it screwed all the way down and is NOT loose at all. Either way, I have another shift knob coming (not because of the rattle) so I may try to add some sort of insulation to reduce the noise.

• 3 months later...
Any luck with this? I just installed the Kartboy short throw shifter tonight and noticed the reverse lockout ring rattles quite a bit now. It has slight play in it and rattles as you drive. I need to figure out how to fix it. Let me know if you come across a solution. Thanks.

No one ever believes me when I tell them it's the shift knob amplifying the drivetrain noise. :lol:

I have the stock Subaru Momo round metal shift knob. It rattles when tightened all the way down. I completely removed the knob and drove around. Drivetrain noise is significantly less pronounced.

I also tried screwing it all the way down, and then backing it back up about 3 full turns. Rattle is significantly less pronounced as well.

i believe the rattle is a result of the shifter rod hitting the edge of the knob (metal on metal) where it threads in. I'm thinking of wrapping some teflon or something else in there to prevent that from happening, but the clearance is pretty tight in there, but just loose enough to rattle.

I suppose I could just replace the knob completely with something else too. The stock Subaru leather knob didn't rattle, but didn't look anywhere near as nice as the metal round one I have now. :(

No one ever believes me when I tell them it's the shift knob amplifying the drivetrain noise. :lol:

I have the stock Subaru Momo round metal shift knob. It rattles when tightened all the way down. I completely removed the knob and drove around. Drivetrain noise is significantly less pronounced.

I also tried screwing it all the way down, and then backing it back up about 3 full turns. Rattle is significantly less pronounced as well.

i believe the rattle is a result of the shifter rod hitting the edge of the knob (metal on metal) where it threads in. I'm thinking of wrapping some teflon or something else in there to prevent that from happening, but the clearance is pretty tight in there, but just loose enough to rattle.

I suppose I could just replace the knob completely with something else too. The stock Subaru leather knob didn't rattle, but didn't look anywhere near as nice as the metal round one I have now. :(

There's something to this. I went with the Subaru Momo knob from the leather as well and noticed a bit more NVH emitting from it and that's the only shifter mod I've done (no STS or bushings). You're logic is sound to me.

Rattle solved, or at least GREATLY reduced. I removed the knob, and using teflon (the kind you use for plumbing) I wrapped the threads from top, and when I got to the bottom, I wrapped it several times to widen the base. This effectively created a tapered cushion for the knob to tighten down into and center around and should prevent metal-on-metal contact there.

Appears to be much quieter now!

Hicksta,

1. I have the same setup as you do, when you installed your rear shifter bushing did it lower the whole assembly?

2. How did you go about install the rear bushing i have skinny hands do you have to drop the drive shaft?

3. Did you use the TiC knuckle bushing replacement kit? If so what size punch did you use??

I have all the parts just wanted a tip from a member that has explored all aspect of the shift linkage :)

So installed the KB STS.

1. Cracked the ball basket

2. Removed the entire metal bracket thing surrounding the shifter

3. Couldn't get both O rings to fit back into the cup after removing it.

Other than that it was pretty easy. Greased up everything good and shifts are nice and crisp.

I will tackle the front and rear bushings tomorrow I cant wait to fumble with the two bolts that hold the rear bushing in place :lol:

Archived