LegacyGT.com

A few questions regarding access port for 05 Legacy GT

Greetings:

- Could someone please explain the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 access port?

I visit Cobb web page but still unable to find the difference.

- Will the acceleration of the Legacy GT be much better than stock after flashing with stage 1 and without making any other modification?

- Which access port and map will you recommend other than Cobb if there are any?

- Can Cobb or other brand AP be used on any Legacy GT model regardless their model year (2005 and beyond)?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Greetings:

- Could someone please explain the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 access port?

- Will the acceleration of the Legacy GT be much better than stock after flashing with stage 1 and without making any other modification?

- Which access port and map will you recommend other than Cobb if there are any?

- Can Cobb or other brand AP be used on any Legacy GT model regardless their model year (2005 and beyond)?

Search is your friend....

Off the top of my head:

Stage 1 is stock exhaust with AP

Stage 2 is modded exhaust with AP (usually cat-free, or at least cat-back aftermarket exhaust)

AcessPorts are specific to a model year. In fact, I think the late '05 requires a different AP than the early '05. '07 ECU mapping is completely different from '06 (which was moderately different from late '05, which was moderately different from early '05 - are you getting the idea?)

You have to buy the specific AP for your specific car.

As far as I know, there is only one maker of AccessPort - Cobb Tuning, but you can get them from many tuner outlets. I also believe AccessPort is a trademarked name, so there will be no other brands.

The only alternative is EcuTek, which is just a custom tune - you don't get any hardware like you do with the AP.

You'll have to ask others on acceleration and map recommendations....

Greetings:

Here is the skinny:

Stage 1 is stock exhaust with AccessPort (AP)

Stage 2 is modded exhaust (High flow downpipe) with AccessPort

AcessPorts are specific to a model year and Transmission.

You have to buy the year specific AP for your specific car.

there is only one maker of AccessPort - Cobb Tuning, but you can get them from many tuner outlets. I also believe AccessPort is a trademarked name, so there will be no other brands.

The AP is a device that uploads tuned maps to the car's ECU. The maps come preloaded when you buy it and are downloadable from Cobb's website.

335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

Here is the skinny:

Stage 1 is stock exhaust with AccessPort (AP)

Stage 2 is modded exhaust (High flow downpipe) with AccessPort

AcessPorts are specific to a model year and Transmission.

You have to buy the year specific AP for your specific car.

there is only one maker of AccessPort - Cobb Tuning, but you can get them from many tuner outlets. I also believe AccessPort is a trademarked name, so there will be no other brands.

The AP is a device that uploads tuned maps to the car's ECU. The maps come preloaded when you buy it and are downloadable from Cobb's website.

Thanks for the assist Suds. My memory wasn't too far off. I had forgotten the different versions for different transmissions.

Search is your friend....

Off the top of my head:

Stage 1 is stock exhaust with AP

Stage 2 is modded exhaust with AP (usually cat-free, or at least cat-back aftermarket exhaust)

I thought the main thing with Stg 2 is to get rid of the Up pipe cat? There's a cat in the up pipe prior to the turbo which is restrictive. And then one in the DP. You can go Stg 2 with a catless up pipe (either an STi up pipe, or an aftermarket one like Perrin, etc), and also an aftermarket (or gutten OEM) Downpipe.

Going with just a cat-back isn't going to help too much, because that's not where the restriction is, right? :icon_conf

EDIT---here's the exhaust components.....

http://www.subiwiki.com/wiki/images/d/de/Lgtexhaust.jpg

I thought the main thing with Stg 2 is to get rid of the Up pipe cat? There's a cat in the up pipe prior to the turbo which is restrictive. And then one in the DP. You can go Stg 2 with a catless up pipe (either an STi up pipe, or an aftermarket one like Perrin, etc), and also an aftermarket (or gutten OEM) Downpipe.

Going with just a cat-back isn't going to help too much, because that's not where the restriction is, right? :icon_conf

EDIT---here's the exhaust components.....

http://www.subiwiki.com/wiki/images/d/de/Lgtexhaust.jpg

Excellent diagram! Good description and clarification. I guess I had forgotten that it was specifically a cat-free up-pipe. My memory just wasn't as good as I thought it was... :( (I guess I better do some research myself next time I try to answer a question...)

The way I understand it..is that the only thing you MUST do for Stg2 is get a highflow catted DP or a Catless DP (or you could gut your stock DP). The big restriction is the cat in the DP off of the turbo. A catless up pipe will add better spool and eliminate the chance of the cat breaking up and killing your turbo..it will not really add a lot of HP and is not required for stg 2 (although for safety reasons, it is a good idea to do it). The Catback exhaust, will free up some more HP but is also not required for Stg. 2.

A catless up pipe will add better spool and eliminate the chance of the cat breaking up and killing your turbo..it will not really add a lot of HP and is not required for stg 2 (although for safety reasons, it is a good idea to do it).

if tuned for it a catless up pipe can add 5-10whp. plus your turbo will spool to full boost about 300-400 RPM sooner.

plus you have to take the downpipe off to access the up pipe. so you should just go ahead and do them both....unless you have an 07 GT. (already catless up)

plus you have to take the downpipe off to access the up pipe. so you should just go ahead and do them both....unless you have an 07 GT. (already catless up)

Wonder how much the dealers would charge for an '07 up pipe?

Wonder how much the dealers would charge for an '07 up pipe?

Not sure it would fit. The '07 has some type of recirculation system that allows the up-pipe to be catless, so it has tha recirculation fitting on it. I don't know what other differences there are.

if tuned for it a catless up pipe can add 5-10whp. plus your turbo will spool to full boost about 300-400 RPM sooner.

Wow...i need to gut the stock WRX up I got sitting in my garage. I banged away at it with a hammer and a crowbar for about 1 hr and got nowhere. For an addition 5-10 HP I think it might be worth the effort...

Thank you all for your input and especially fort the Intake & Exhaust diagram.

It would be really nice if one AP can work on all model and user just have to pay for a new map. What do you do with an old AP when you sell your car?

By the way after you flash your ECU, do you feel any increase in acceleration? In other word, do you feel the car is any faster than stock when you pass other car or go from 0 to 60mph?

Thank you all for your input and especially fort the Intake & Exhaust diagram.

It would be really nice if one AP can work on all model and user just have to pay for a new map. What do you do with an old AP when you sell your car?

By the way after you flash your ECU, do you feel any increase in acceleration? In other word, do you feel the car is any faster than stock when you pass other car or go from 0 to 60mph?

Just sell the AP to someone with the same year/motor/trans. The new one was out when I got mine, but I saved money by buying the old one.

I feel quite a big difference, it took a little while for the car to adjust to the new map, but it pulls hard. Mine has the TDC tune though. Adding around 50 lb ft of torque is quite considerable. I'm very happy with it.

If you buy used one how can you make sure that it is the right one for your year/motor/trans? Is there anything like model #, s/n etc that give me a clue?

I've seen Accessport ver 2.0 firmware update on Cobb web-page. Does this mean that if I bought a ver 1.0, I can update to 2.0 and that would make it work with Legacy GT model 2005 and beyond?

Will this void the manufacture warranty?

When you flash the ECU, does it give you an option to save the old map?

Is it possible to find a map that would cut the turbo or limit the rpm just for valet parking and for service?

If you buy used one how can you make sure that it is the right one for your year/motor/trans? Is there anything like model #, s/n etc that give me a clue?

I've seen Accessport ver 2.0 firmware update on Cobb web-page. Does this mean that if I bought a ver 1.0, I can update to 2.0 and that would make it work with Legacy GT model 2005 and beyond?

Is it possible to find a map that would cut the turbo or limit the rpm just for valet parking and for service?

AccessPort 1 & 2 are completely different parts, so I would say that a firmware update for version 2 will definitely not work on version 1, but that would probably be a good question for Cobb Tuning to answer.

If you're going to buy a used AccessPort, ask them straight out what car they bought it for. You would have to contact Cobb to find out what the cutoff is between the two versions for '05.

Edited to add: AP version 1 did not give any capability to save current map. Version 2 might, but I don't know.

I'm sure you could download or create a map for valet parking, but I think it takes 30 seconds or more to switch maps. That might be cumbersome when the valet parker is waiting for you.

Just ask which year/engine/tranny it came off of.

No, there is an 1.0 and 2.0, you can't ever make the 1.0 work for other cars.

You should be okay with warranty, but that's hard to say. They would have to find out you even have it installed first, then that it somehow contributed to a problem. The dealership here even sells them.

Cobb puts a baseline "stock" map on the accessport, but it's not the exact one that came with you car. From what I hear, Subaru can't really tell the difference. The new AP saves your actual stock map.

And there should be valet modes available.

On the back of the AP 1.0, there is a P/N and a serial number. That'll tell you what car and tranny it is for.

AFAIK, the user can not do a firmware update on the AP 1.0. Only Cobb can do that. User can only load new maps. This is a minor annoyance for 2005.5 auto users.

You should backup your stock map with a tactrix cable before marrying the AP 1.0.

have you tried searching for any of this info??? it is all readily available via the search feature on this site! there is also bountiful info on the subject on cobb"s site...just have to look for it...this thread is silly. initially your ?'s seemed genuine, but now you are asking about stuff that is not only posted here, but also on cobb"s site???

Thank you all for your help.

Sorry for any inconvenient that I might cause from my questions. I found an used one so I am kinda need a quick answer for making a purchase decision.

Anyway, you all have help me started and I will direct all my question to Cobb to avoid annoying you guys :icon_mrgr.

Enjoy the rest of your week-end.

Archived