LegacyGT.com

David/Kenny's 1996 LGT

I originally acquired this car in early December of 2010 with about 152k miles on the clock. It was in original, well taken care of condition. At first, it was just a car I didn't plan on keeping for more than 6 months. Little did I know that it would send me on my way to learning just about everything I know about cars.

During the first year, I drove her around 15k miles and put it through hell. I took it to the mountains, drove trails like Colin McRae, and pushed it as hard as I could on off road terrain. Within a few weeks I had a couple of huge cracks in the windshield. After about 8 months, and an accident, it started to take it's toll. The front passenger side CV joint failed, exhaust leaks started, heat shields broke loose, the power steering rack started to fail, brakes started having issues, tires came out of round, the head gaskets went, and the transmission started having binding issues. I ended up driving around for about three or four months with the blown head gaskets until I finally had the extra cash to buy parts and do the job. It drove well over the following four months until the motor failed. It had spun a rod bearing just short of it's current 170k miles. I parked her, ripped the motor out, and she sat unused until 3 months ago when I sold it to my buddy David with plans to completely rebuild the car.

When I first got her with a friends 94 SS

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/135083_10150114676120135_3638880_o_zps4627e533.jpg

After the accident, during the rebuild and when I replaced the body panels that were damaged

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/322987_2562645993575_734036232_o_zps45aabe0c.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/341146_2562650313683_1090161300_o_zpse38ca8ce.jpg

I still haven't learned.....

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/315017_2492936010869_1476844797_2728372_1353406514_n_zps01d7ed76.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/DSC_1107_zps8fc6add9.jpg

One of the MANY pictures I took of her next to other Subies

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/IMG_0315_crop_zps9fe3f2c3.jpg

After six plus months of talking and planning and parts hunting, three months ago I officially sold the car, and many many parts to David and moved the car to a storage unit where we would be working on it. I replaced the stock 5 spokes with the 16" snowflakes from my old 98 LGT. It makes a world of a difference in how the car looks. I also replaced the dented up and bent front fenders.

She's dirty....

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/9DEF2B7A-D509-44FB-AB12-3CD450926427-1485-00000055E649A324_zps0a1c62ca.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/211088F0-78CF-4334-8F89-BC05A98D929F-1485-00000056098E8B38_zpsfef69f48.jpg

At this point the car was still without a motor. So the hunt began. The original plan was to purchase an EJ22E. After having no luck after a few months of searching. I came across a 99 Phase 2 EJ25D and got it shipped immediately. The motor itself has very low miles, and has has the head gaskets and water pump replaced along with the timing belt and components just as preventative maintenance. It just needed an intake manifold, harness, and sensors. All of which I had from the cars original motor, which is literally sitting in a pile of oil and speedy dry at the moment. Only having one day a week since the purchase two and a half months ago, it took us until a few weeks ago to get it all put together and running.We were missing a tons of small parts that took way too long to acquire through the dealers... Even up until today, it is still not inspected and registered. We are getting the exhaust finished on Monday and she will finally be street legal.

I will add some updated pictures and video when we pick the car up. She's been cleaned up a bit and a grille has been added. She's still in need of a few things, but a plan is in motion and the entire car will be perfect sans the body by the end of summer.

Current upgrades:

- Phase 2 EJ25D

- Speedy Racer UEL header

- Glasspack muffler

Planned upgrades through the summer:

- MSD coil pack

- A1 Cardone rebuilt steering rack, with Moog ball joints/tie rods and Whiteline rack bushings

- Whiteline F/R sway bars, bushings, and end links

- Whiteline rear sway bar mounts

- Raceland Optimo coilovers

- 4EAT sport mode and 50/50 mods AFTER the trans is repaired. It needs a new pan, filter, fluid, and possibly a clutch pack duty-C repair kit.

- StopTech Cryo treated rotors all around, with undecided high performance brake pads.

Once the suspension, brakes, and small performance mods are done we will be moving on to the body work. She'll be getting a 97-99 LGT front bumper cover to be used with the 97-99 fog lights that we picked up. I'll be learning how to do body repairs and how to paint, and will be painting the entire car myself. The color is going to be the original blue.

She'll look pretty much like this, but better

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/Kennyfvholla/T84868A_zps72278291.jpg

We have a lot planned beyond this, but it's staying under the table for now. You'll have to wait several months to a year to find out.

Stay tuned for updates as we add more upgrades and parts to the car!

lo I knew you'd be the first one to post....

And you have no idea.

The problem was that we kept needing more parts as we went along. Mostly it was because of bolts and gaskets we could not locate, or getting the wrong parts because the dealer is completely incompetent.

Good story kenny, that car has been through a lot. Triple O.G.

If your interested in learning body and paint work to further that legacys progress (and just general knowledge in the industry). I can send you the PC textbooks I got while in school. There is a shit load of info, its all interconference (i -car) information. I have the books from the whole 9month program.

Looks like she's sprung a leak from somewheres on the top of the motor. First fear was gaskets but it looks like everything's sound with that. Ken's thought is it might be one of the coolant crossover lines. Only time will tell...

Looks like the blue car woes shall continue...

So your the guy that bought a basketcase? Kidding of course. What a friend. Kidding again. Welcome David.

Yep...that's me. :D

EDIT: Problem solved. The top radiator hose wasn't secured well enough and with high enough pressure built up in the coolant system, it was forcing its way out. Tightened down...all better! I'll try and record a video in the coming days of the exhaust note.

Thank baby Jesus for that, a headgasket issue would be a drag. Car looks good by the way.

I've experienced Kenny's wrath when head gaskets fail. Due to a woman that shall not be named and blown head gaskets the car has three nice sized dents due to him punching the car just above the drivers door... So...yeah.

She's a blast to drive too. Even with a leaky rack, shot bushings, squishy as hell suspension, and 4 different tires...she handles amazingly well. I can only imagine how she's going to handle when we do the coilovers, new sway bars, solid end links, and solid rear sway bar mounts.

I've let Ken drive it a couple of times since the exhaust has been done and we can both tell, from being behind the wheel with the old motor and new one, that this one has more power and quite a bit more bottom end. The UEL and glasspack did wonders for this car. And she's just how I like 'em...loud! Sounds just like a pissed off WRX/STi...minus the turbo of course.

I'll see if I can't find a remote location on Wednesday and see if I can't get Ken to help me with recording a couple of videos of the exhaust.

Did you get a pm kenny?

Yes sir, you've got replies.

I've experienced Kenny's wrath when head gaskets fail. Due to a woman that shall not be named and blown head gaskets the car has three nice sized dents due to him punching the car just above the drivers door... So...yeah.

lol wut.. We're talking about this?

She's a blast to drive too. Even with a leaky rack, shot bushings, squishy as hell suspension, and 4 different tires...she handles amazingly well.

I've let Ken drive it a couple of times since the exhaust has been done and we can both tell, from being behind the wheel with the old motor and new one, that this one has more power and quite a bit more bottom end.

I miss this car... The Honda handles really well, but it's not as fun or tossable like the Subie is.

And yes, the car definitely makes a more noticeable amount of power all over the rev range. It hits 100 MPH quicker than it ever had for me. We did a quick race from a dig a couple of times, with me just rolling off the clutch and not launching. I spun the tires quite a bit another time. Both times the Subie held with me right until the top of 1st at 30 MPH. After that it was slaughter lol.

On wednesday we are going to be popping some new brake pads in up front, installing most of the audio system, getting the side skirts back on, and getting some good pictures and videos.

I think we need to get a picture that's not so fuzzy lol

What david forgot to mention... Is that we installed after market Kenwood speakers (cheap ones until the Infinity's are installed later on), as well as my two OEM Subaru under-seat subs. I also plasti-dipped the grey area on the front bumper, the rocker panels, and the rear lip.

I'm to lazy to break out my camera these days. I'll take one during the day when I'm not driving.

UPDATE: Deck has been tuned further and the rear speakers have been replaced. Sadly...still no video of the exhaust... Here's to hoping we can remember on Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to put suspension and brakes on hold for the time being since, due to my dumb ass not realizing it was low on oil, the motor has developed a slight rod knock and has had a valve tick since day 1. Due to these new developments, I have decided to move up in priority the rebuild of a spare Phase 2 25D that we have. We're planning on a high compression build with ACL race berings and an STi Crank. Come next pay check, I'll be time to start grabbing up parts and being the rebuild. Might also send off the cams to get reground.

Ken and I will snap some pictures this weekend, weather permitting, of the car in it's current state and get a couple of videos...if we can remember.

Archived