LegacyGT.com

Front Brake Rotor temperature without braking

I have searched the threads and the manual quite a bit and have not found and answer, so I'll start a new thread on this.

I replaced my '06 LGT front brake calipers about 12,000 miles back. Do any of you know how hot the rotors should run when the brakes have NOT been applied? I test-drove the car for a few miles yesterday and stopped the car by using the parking brake. I touched the rotors (careful!) and the left rotor was warm, and the right rotor was hot, about 300 degrees. So I'm just wondering if the right caliper is starting to bind. The rotor is normal-colored.

When I turn the rotors, the left side turns easier than the right. The right side needs a shove to break free.

I took the right caliper off the mounting bracket and used a piston pusher tool to push each piston back a bit. Both of them seemed to required about the same amount of force to push back. When I pushed one of the pistons in, the other did not push out. The caliper sliders operate freely, no sign of binding there.

I would think they should be cool.

Do you feel the car pull to one side while driving or under braking. Let go of the wheel and step on the brake while driving and see what it dose.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too

I recently replaced my calipers for this very reason.

If you take out the pads and hook the caliper up you can apply the brake pedal gently and press the pistons out. You may find one comes out and the other sits back so use a block of wood or clamp to stop that side and be careful not to press out the pistons too far. I assume you have some way to drive the pistons back? I use a C clamp and an L shaped piece of Aluminium which I also used to isolate each piston/drive them back in.

Doing this made it very obvious that I had one piston that was all hung up as it also took a lot of force to return it back into the caliper. A rebuilt caliper is no guarantee that it's perfect and you may have to get a repair kit or just get another remanufactured part.

There should be no other reason for one brake side getting that much hotter than the other and they most definitely shouldn't be 'hot' when just driving... also the wheel itself helps dissipate the heat of the rotor, touch that... not the rotor.

Archived