LegacyGT.com

A few questions before purchase

cisco0623

Hello all,

I am in the market for a new car and am looking for AWD and reliability.

I test drove a 3.6r this weekend and was really impressed. It was smooth and compliant.

Since I am seriously considering this car I found and read through the forums. Now i have a few questions I was hoping anyone could chime in on.

Is there any trend to this crazy shimmy issue when driving at highway speeds thread? Specific model, year etc? This thread has me scared, but most posters are from model year 2010 and have a GT.

Do new 2011 legacy's still have this issue? The main reason I wanted this car was I heard subaru last forever. The dealer I went to has the exact 3.6r configuration I want already on its way in two weeks.

I am really interested in the 3.6 limited or GT - I wish they had the stick GT, but the salesperson said they would have to get it in as they are not common...That being said how do GT owners like the shifter? Is it worth getting the short throw put in?

I am so close to pulling the trigger, but do not want to deal with a headache.

Thanks for reading.

If you've done your reading then only you can make that decision.

We just bought a 2.5I even after reading all the info I could about the shimmy. Took it for a long test drive and it drove perfectly.

I've also been reading reports that the current fix has worked for most here, so we felt fine going ahead.

Every manufacturer is going to have it's issues. You have the weight the risks you're willing to take.

Thanks for the reply. Its hard to commit to a car on its way in when it could have that issue. When you say long test drive, how long? Did you voice your concern to the salesperson? If it has the issue its at highway speed correct? If I buy I'd like to extensively test it. Did you do anything specific? Thanks again.

That being said how do GT owners like the shifter? Is it worth getting the short throw put in?

I like the short throw. I only had the OEM for a few weeks so it's hard to say one way or the other. If you search the 5th gen section you'll find at least 2 or 3 good threads about people who bought it and their reviews (most are very positive). Those are the same threads I reviewed before pulling the trigger on getting the short throw myself.

2010 3.6 r and the vibration in my wheel above 40mph all the way to 110mph is annoying. Bringing it back for the 3rd time and are on 2nd set of tires as I thought it might be the tires...other than that its great! test drive it on the highway & bring it up to 60-80 to be sure

Thanks for the reply. Its hard to commit to a car on its way in when it could have that issue. When you say long test drive, how long? Did you voice your concern to the salesperson? If it has the issue its at highway speed correct? If I buy I'd like to extensively test it. Did you do anything specific? Thanks again.

Just be flat out honest. I told my dealer that the deposit had to be refundable and that if I drove the car and it had a shimmy, I wasn't taking it period.

They were fine with that.

Just be flat out honest. I told my dealer that the deposit had to be refundable and that if I drove the car and it had a shimmy, I wasn't taking it period.

They were fine with that.

Sounds like you have yourself covered. I have a 2011 3.6R and had a slight shimmy over 65mph. They did a TSB and all is well.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Sounds like you have yourself covered. I have a 2011 3.6R and had a slight shimmy over 65mph. They did a TSB and all is well.

I was replying to the OP, had my car for 2 weeks now;)

Well, I put a deposit down!

I took the same 3.6 limited for a test drive tonight. And liked it. I had it up to 60mph and didn't feel anything that did not feel like normal road. (and in the ny tri-state area...the roads are like war zones right now)

The car I want is coming in within two weeks off the truck. Thanks to everyone's advice I told them I was weary of the shimmy issue and my deposit is refundable if i am not happy with the ride before i sign.

TwoTone, how long of a test drive did you take? Did you do anything deliberate to detect if it had the issue? Ive never driven a car with a shimmy so I am not even sure id know what to look for....then again if you go looking for trouble... you find it right?

Thanks everyone. I am excited, a tad nervous about the shimmy, hoping I don't have the issue, but overall I cannot wait!

I went with the graphite gray 3.6r limited, moon roof and nav. Splash guards as well. Any other options i should know about? The spoiler any good? (cosmetically)

TwoTone - thats what I was hoping, at least a 15 minute ride!

I went with the graphite gray 3.6r limited, moon roof and nav. Splash guards as well. Any other options i should know about? The spoiler any good? (cosmetically)

TwoTone - thats what I was hoping, at least a 15 minute ride!

Eh, I skipped the spoiler. One more thing to wash/ wax and they have to drill 13 holes into your trunk.

Get puddle lights, all weather floor mats, media hub and save up some cash for a clear bra. Since you're getting GGM, the stone chips are going to show on the front end really easy.

You make a good point about the spoiler.

What is the media hub? Doesn't that come with the navigation package? Also, I cannot tell with nav, is the back-up camera included? Also the brochure indicated that the auto dimming mirror with home link is part of the nav package, but they could not confirm.

Puddle lights look cool. I wonder what they will try and charge me lol

You make a good point about the spoiler.

What is the media hub? Doesn't that come with the navigation package? Also, I cannot tell with nav, is the back-up camera included? Also the brochure indicated that the auto dimming mirror with home link is part of the nav package, but they could not confirm.

Puddle lights look cool. I wonder what they will try and charge me lol

No the media hub isn't included w/ nav. Yes, you get the back up camera which is really nice to have. Autodim mirror is included for 2011.

As for the nav, it has its flaws and there are better aftermarket units out there. I chose it b/c I wanted the 8" screen, OE integration of everything, back up camera and you can ground the e-brake so you have all the options available when in motion.

Check out http://www.cars101.com for more Subaru specifics.

From what I've been reading about Subie nav, I'd skip it and get a much better aftermarket unit for less.

We got our WeatherTech digifit mats and love them.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=52&VehId=618&Year=2011

Those are nice. I like how it covers up the dead pedal.

Thanks again, you guys have been really great. I can tell this is the right place to be!

Yes! I am avoiding the all weather mats, because i use weather techs. They are awesome. They get beat to hell, but when you pull them out your car is as brand new.

I saw that mod for the nav earlier today... i have the wire waiting lol They charge $245 for a firmware/map update?! outrageous.... lol With the nav, you get the usb and or aux port for audio? I read cars 101 (great site btw) but im still confused as to what benefit the media hub offers.

Archived