LegacyGT.com

Survey: How many people on the board own an OB?

Guest *Jedimaster*

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From memory, I think Subaru allows for only 1/8" difference in tire tread diameter, before potentially screwing up the differentials.

Not all places do it (and I have not) but it is possible to have a new tire shaved down to match the tread on the "good" / existing tires.

The web is a wonderful resource. I did a search on used tires and was able to find one of the exact tire that is on my car, with the same amount of tread as the other three. I also got a 4 wheel alignment at Village Subaru in Acton Ma. which I believe has fixed a longstanding issue. The "new" tire cost me $45 delivered to my door, and Subaru took care of the alignment since they are good people!:) Thanks to Laurie at S of A and Dave at Village!

The web is a wonderful resource. I did a search on used tires and was able to find one of the exact tire that is on my car, with the same amount of tread as the other three. I also got a 4 wheel alignment at Village Subaru in Acton Ma. which I believe has fixed a longstanding issue. The "new" tire cost me $45 delivered to my door, and Subaru took care of the alignment since they are good people!:) Thanks to Laurie at S of A and Dave at Village!

Good news. My wife like the people at Villiage.

Note, the last two Subies we have purchased have come with bad alignments which led to premature tire wear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Note, the last two Subies we have purchased have come with bad alignments which led to premature tire wear.

It may be common for factory wheel alignments to be out of kilter:

I bought a new 1985 Ford pick up truck and needed new front tires by about 20K miles due to poor aignment. No great loss - the stock tires were crap - dangerously slick on a wet road.

Recently I bought a low mileage, one-owner used Porsche. It had 20K on the odometer and I had to replace the front tires by 23K. The alignment shop measurements showed that none of the four wheels had matching toe-in or camber. The Tech said it looked like a factory "alignment".

The date codes on the tires showed that they were not the original set. IOW, the car ran through two sets of front tires in 23,000 miles. The first owner must have burnt through a pair of front tires in 12K or so, then installed new ones without getting an alignment. :confused:

It might be a good idea to assume that a new car requires a wheel alignment.

I had the same problem w/ my '05 OB. I had my (former Audi) tech compare the stock alignment specs and then a custom alignment and to adjust to the most flat setting possible.

There's also a link on Subaruoutback.org stating the '07 OB has the best OE alignment specs.

• 1 month later...
I have a '05' XT with some mild after market goodies. I have a turbo back Perrin exhaust an Xccelerator uppipe with flex joint (more later) headers, hawk yellow w/ slotted and dimpled rotors, KYB suspension w/ oversized sway bars front and rear, and finally a Cobb tuner running Stage 2 programing. The flex joint mentioned before was necessary as the gasket between the header and uppipe would burn out and leak after about 6 weeks. After trying everything I was forced to replace my uppipe with the flex unit. I also installed spring loaded bolts earlier but they weren't enough. Well problem solved. Merry Christmas. I'm hoping '13' brings a 4 wheel dyno run for the final piece to the puzzle. (i've said that for 5 years now.):spin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're strongly considering the sale our MY2005 Outback XT LTD.

Since new, 11/2004 (ordered 9/04), the Subi has served as my wifes dedicated airport car running out every week to either Denver’s DIA or for the past 5 years Atlanta’s ATL airport. Always parked inside at the airport or garaged at home, the Subi is in excellent condition. 3M clear bra everywhere since new and with a new factory windshield over the summer of 2012 the wagon’s exterior is like new. All books, key’s, manuals, Monroney Label, service/maintenance records, JDM sourced Bilstein BTS suspension kit, recent interior/exterior professional detailed; throughly claybar'd and polished. Interior is spotless. Subi is pretty much in dam good condition!… 79k miles. No collision work with only original production paint work. Subaru factory options; subwoofer, rubber cargo mat, trailer hitch, Homelink/compass mirror options. Lloyds plush mats. Finished in Silver metallic over black leather. $ What’s it worth? Best offer. Currently in Atlanta.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |