LegacyGT.com

Subaru Oil Consumption Lawsuit - Letter from Subaru & Short Block Replacement Advice

I posted this last week under an oil consumption thread, and, as there are so many, it got buried.

So forgive me if I am breaking any rules by re-posting this as a new thread:

I just received a letter in the mail from Subaru (see attachments)

There was no cover letter, and they stuffed basically 3 separate folded documents into the envelope. I had to read each a couple of times to figure out what the deal is. (and I am already familiar with the oil consumption lawsuit and details)

Included:

1. Lawsuit Q&A

2. Reimbursement claim form

3. Lawsuit Letter

For me, I can claim reimbursement for 1 qt every 10,000 miles, up to 60,000 miles. So 6 qts of oil.... whoop-de-do... Maybe I get $50?

This must have been some negotiated amount (and this part of the lawsuit isn't settled yet - pending July 2016 hearing)

I burn about .6 qt every 1000 miles so we're talking honestly about 30+ qts of oil that I have burned in my 68,000 miles right now...

The more important part:

See pg 4 of 8 on the lawsuit letter.

Effective the date of this letter, the warranty is being extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles and my VIN# falls within this.

If the oil consumption test shows that your vehicle consumes more than 1/3 qt of oil in 1200 miles, the retailer will perform the applicable TSB Repair at no charge.

-Well, I have been burning well over a 1/2 qt. every 1000 miles, so I certainly quality.

The last I saw, the TSB for this is a short block replacement (it used to be pulling the engine and replacing ONLY the rings)

Can anyone confirm what the latest TSB is for this?

As I have 68,000 miles now, I think my plan would be to wait to about 90,000-95,000 and bring it for the short block replacement.

Any risk in waiting?

My only concern is if the oil burning would/will affect other exhaust components in the next 30,000 miles, if I wait to 90K.

If I do the short block replacement, this would be a great time to do some long-term maintenance items/replacements.

What would be a list (in order of importance) of the things I would want to PAY FOR, to have the dealer replace, when they are building up the new short block to install?

(this is based on saving on the labor to repair/replace after the engine is in the car, and a part fails (IE: starter, alternator, water pump, injectors, etc)

Thanks in advance! In return, I will take photos and keep everyone here updated with this process.

Lawsuit Q&A small.pdf

Reimbursment claim form small.pdf

Subaru Lawusit Letter 4-25-16 small.pdf

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine has a timing chain and is pretty well sealed from the outside, you can change the tensioners, chain, water pump, and maybe chain guides. But, noone here can definitively tell you that will shore up your engine for any amount of time. Chances are pretty good those parts wouldn't wear out or leak anyway within a reasonable lifetime of the engine so you may just be paying, unnecessarily, for piece of mind.

IMO this is a case of just leaving well enough alone, if anything is going to happen internally it will happen within the warranty period, if it is a defect.

I believe the emissions system has its own warranty that extends past the powertrain one. This issue should definitely be brought up to SOA and the service manager.

And capttris, I bumped the other post you coulnd't find it was on page 2.

Rapture

The 1st page of the lawsuit letter gives the covered models and years by VIN#.

What's interesting is how "ALL" models of Legacy and Outback with MANUAL transmission are covered. Subaru must have done a 1-time batch of engines configured for a manual (bell housing, etc) at the beginning of the production run?

I'm hoping to get some good feedback on this forum, before contacting my dealer.

How many miles on your engine? Are there any additional components you plan to proactively replace while the engine is pulled, to save on the labor of future replacements/failures?

Do you think I should do the replacement on mine now, at 68K miles, or wait until 90K miles?

How many miles on your engine? Are there any additional components you plan to proactively replace while the engine is pulled, to save on the labor of future replacements/failures?

Do you think I should do the replacement on mine now, at 68K miles, or wait until 90K miles?

I have 67.5k on my car. I'm replacing the block with a IAG Stage 1 'staged Block' (I can post the specs if you need). I'm also machining the heads.

I'm checking on the life of the clutch and I'm putting in an Air-Oil separator to prevent future failure. Also the new internals being put in it will help prevent one as well.

In my opinion, I'd do a compression and leakdown test to find out the strength of your engine, along with a Oil analysis from Blackstone Labs to see how much metal is in your oil.

Once you get the results from that (mechanics and the lab will tell you what you're looking for), I'd make a decision from there.

But above all else, I'd start saving for a rebuild asap. Mine is costing $6-7,000 but luckily my warranty is covering a lot of it.

So once you get those test results, go from there.

I'm happy to answer any other questions as well :)

The spec b is a turbo motor which has very little in common with a 2.5i. It also has the timing belt not a chain like yours has. So for Asegal17 there is a lot of PM work she can do on her car. Good choice going with a built block!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The spec b is a turbo motor which has very little in common with a 2.5i. It also has the timing belt not a chain like yours has. So for Asegal17 there is a lot of PM work she can do on her car. Good choice going with a built block!

thanks! sorry if we went off topic a little. i just like people to know what they might get in to lol

thanks! sorry if we went off topic a little. i just like people to know what they might get in to lol

Its all good, I just didn't want the OP to think he was getting conflicting advice, lol!

So 2012 3.6R apparently are not on the list. I changed my oil to Royal Purple 5W30 at around 72K, the oil light has come on twice and I'm currently around 77k. Starting to wonder if I should take this in to Subaru to check out? Should I increase my Engine Oil weight? Sorry if this isn't the right place to post.

Asegal17 ,

Great advice, thanks.

I actually do oil sampling at every oil change, so I have lots of data. My engine is healthy and normal, other than oil getting past the rings.

A leak-down test isn't a bad idea and the only cost would be a little labor, but I may be able to negotiate that in for free, since my current engine would need most components stripped off anyway, to be assembled onto the new short block. Good thinking.

Thoughts on waiting until 90-95,000 miles, or doing this short block replacement ASAP at 70,000 (as soon as the dealer is able to)

I think waiting is smarter, other than the possible additional damage the burning oil could do to my exhaust system.

thoughts?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

After waiting over 3 weeks for my dealer's service writer to respond to me (I'm very disappointed already) he said that he will submit my oil consumption test results from LAST SUMMER to Subaru, based on the new lawsuit.

He thinks he will hear back tomorrow or so.

He never emailed me so I had to verbally ask him these questions (what are some people so afraid of email and putting things in writing? I do it all day long with technical things and high-dollar projects - it's no big deal)

my questions to the dealer:

Some questions:

1. Has this information hit Subaru dealers yet?

Dealer's Service Writer: yes, he heard about this.

2. What is the latest TSB for this work? I recall it used to be a tear down

and replacement of ONLY the piston rings, but I believe now it is a short

block replacement. Please confirm.

Dealer's Service Writer: short block replacement and reusing the rest from the original engine.

3. Have you performed this TSB for short block replacement on the 2.5 FB

engine in my model car yet? Roughly many have you performed?

Dealer's Service Writer: (he dodged this question a few times, then said about 2 or 3 they have done). I was hoping for more.

4. I understand that another oil consumption test is required before you can

request further approval from Subaru. That's fine, I can come in for this.

Dealer's Service Writer: He is submitting my results from last summer as they exceeded the limit.

5. What has been your experience with the approximate lead time on ordering

a short block under the TSB?

Dealer's Service Writer: only 2-3 days he said. I'm shocked.

I asked him what items he would recommend replacing (that wouldn't be included in the warranty but would be a good idea at 70,000 miles)

radiator hoses

coolant (I will make sure this is new anyway)

spark plugs

He said they would have to remove the heads and take a look a the condition of everything BEFORE deciding/recommending anything else.

** What else should I have them do?***

What do you think the valves will look like, along with anything else that may have been affected by the oil burning?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad this thread already exists.. I am actively scheduling the 90k maintenance on my 2013 2.5i. Current the car is at 94k, so I need to get it in asap! But basically, I have the same questions as OP. I am going to get the oil consumption test done for sure, as I've had to replace oil between changes the last 3 times (although I have a feeling I might fall outside of the 'excess' parameters). Worth a shot, because a short block replacement just before 100k miles might be a good thing.

But if this pans out, I too would like to know other items I should preemptively replace during this work. I'm pretty limited with my knowledge of internal car parts (belts/pullies/gaskets/etc.). I'll gladly keep this thread updated as well. I should have the car into the dealer within the next 2 weeks, and then 1200 miles after that (which will probably go quick).

The new short block has arrived at my dealership and the work is approved by Subaru.

After dealing with 2 "service writers" who are clueless, and are basically "schedulers", I ended up speaking with the owner of the dealership, who made me feel much more at ease.

I will be bringing in the car in a couple weeks.

As for replacing additional components while the engine is apart, nobody has really been able to tell me, other than new coolant and hoses.

My goal is to speak with the tech PRIOR to starting the work (when I drop off the car) and I plan to stop down during the process to see the condition of the old engine and components, and discuss with the tech.

Dealers love to schedule this work, but I haven't found anyone knowledgeable enough to speak about the work being performed. Even the OWNER of the dealership didn't know much....

This leaves ONLY the tech for me to speak with....

Even the coolant hoses are made of epdm they don't need changing very often. I changed the ones on our tribeca just this past December when I had to replace the radiator. It's an 07.

I too would like to know other items I should preemptively replace during this work. I'm pretty limited with my knowledge of internal car parts (belts/pullies/gaskets/etc.).

I would just change the water pump, belt and spark plugs if you have limited mechanical ability. The gaskets should be included.

dgoodhue,

I was thinking the same thing. I'm thinking all hoses simply because of the low cost and no labor. The hoses on my 91 prelude lasted about 14 years before I got my 1st leak, but it was a heater hose and tiny and hard to get to, so if I can buy an extra 4 years and 70,000 miles out of new hoses for just a few dollars, it's probably worth it.

water pump, belt and spark plugs are good advice.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I just had an oil consumption test done two weeks ago. I brought it back in after 1,400 miles and they said that the engine is burning an "acceptable" amount of oil. Here I am going on 3,800 miles since they changed my oil and I'm down two quarts. Sorry, but that's not "acceptable" to me. SoA is involved as of today.