LegacyGT.com

New LGT Lim. & $2500 for mods, which way to go?

Ok, I'll be purchasing an 05/06 new/used Silver LGT (probably limited) within the next 2 weeks. My wife has "allowed" me $2500 to spend on performance modifications for the new car. For the sake of this post, let's assume we're talking about a new 06 LGT Limited, 5MT and all installation fees are waived. Estimated pricing on parts would be great.

The 2 main things I'm disappointed in, with the LGT, is the suspension and braking. Therefore, I would like to apply my first mods to those categories. Initially I am thinking a simple spring upgrade, and possibly swaybar(s).

I don't really want to drop a ton on brakes, but would new lines, fluid, pads, and maybe some high performance rotors help? I really don't know anything about this category. Maybe a brake swap?

HID conversion is an absolute must. I'm completely addicted to this type of lighting, and I'm thrilled the conversion for the LGT has been done. I'm also going clear the headlights at the same time. I'm estimating $250 for a kit, correct me if I'm wrong.

Power, my favorite part...what can I do for this boosted engine? I'm coming from an N/A world, so educate me. Should I go uppipe, downpipe, sidepipe? I simply don't know. Do CAI's and/or exhausts help? I'm sure they do, but please remember the $2500 total limit. Maybe a COBB tuning computer?

Think: Bang for your buck!

I'm thinking of tinting windows too! Oh! and I was thinking of powder coating the stock rims a darker silver color. Anyone have estimates on price for this type of mod? Short throw shifter is also something I was thinking about. I'm also converting everything to mobil1 and redline synthetics.

I'm very concerned about warrantee too. Should I get this stuff done with STi parts AT the dealer? What will I void? What should I look out for?

So for $2500, and a small piece of your mind, would you mind giving me your best bang for buck list of upgrades? THANKS!

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F&R sways..............350

SS brake lines.........175

Bobcat Pads.F&R.....190

Springs....................250

1000 mile break in should be done by now;)

Accessport (Purchase from Jon @ TDC & you get a bonus:)).....650

Crucial UP & DP..........500

Lightweight pulley......150

Crucialized header......250

Use whats left over for your TDC Protune **E-tune**

You will be in the 240-255WHP & 290-310Ftlb

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

^ Agreed w/wukindada's "steps."

:)

Skip the HIDs for the time-being. The stock incandescents are already superior for what they are - just know that you're not actually "seeing any worse."

Besides, if you're *_truly_* "stuck/addicted" to this form of lighting, you'll want to save up the appx. $300 or so to do a true-optics conversion retrofit, instead of just installing various "improper" plug-and-play bulb/ballast/ignitor setups, anyway.

If you truly want to focus on performance, do that, first.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

you know i happen to have an 05 LGT LMTD with some of your above-mentioned mods and i was entertaining the thought of trading it in/selling it........where are u located? maybe u can check it out......

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm located in pittsburgh. I would be interested in a used legacy as well.

As for the "proper" hid conversion, might you have a link to that type of product? Thanks!

I feel ya wukindada. That's the approximate road I was thinking of taking. I'm not sure I want to get into the headers and pulleys, but maybe. You list 2 HP numbers, is that a typo on one?

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Yea Typo.....

Fixored now;)

Nsag makes a good point with the tires.......

You can sell your stockers for about 250.00 shipped. A good replacement more performance oriented tire will cost you about 200 more.

As far as headers go...it is a very easy mod with pretty big results for the $ spent.

With the Lightweight pulley it is not as much about power as it is quicker & smoother revs.

By the way....

With the mods listed your WHP is more than a 06STI.....Your Torque figure will be much....much more than the STI:)

cobb accesport (to flash to Stage 2 ) $645

Crucial uppipe - $190

crucial shorty DP - $299

Cusco or JDM 20mm sway bar - $200

iON performance springs - $400

new tires ~$500

bobcat brake pads - $200

works out to almost exactly $2500 --- assuming you can do the labor yourself.

i have a buddy of mine from wrxfanatics.com who could get ya a real good price for the powder coating. i am toying with the idea of doing my winter rims, and he is gonna do the same.... so he knows a bit about it. I am pretty sure they charge you by the size of the rim and how many passes it takes to get to your desired tone. if you go anywhere to price this out and all 4 come out to more than $350. they are ripping you off. This friend of mine did his old wrx rims last year and they were 16's he went gun metal and it cost him $230 i beleive. so dont be scammed by pricing on this!

thanks for the info ionicsounds, very good stuff

seems like everyone here is in agreement on springs and possibly sway bars

the cobb ap seems to be a favorite, and i guess pads make a damn good difference in braking...

does anyone have any input on voiding the warranty? I'm not overly concerned, but maybe if i pay the dealer to do sti stuff, it might be worth it....thoughts?

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Tires and/or wheels, AP, Crucial UP/DP, sway bars and if you want to lower it, some STi pinks...

This will get you close to 2000 giving you another 500 to play with!!!

Good luck on your purchase....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Ok well I'll shop around for powder coating for sure then.

As for mods, I think I'm going to stick to suspension at first, until break in, and then do up and down, exhaust and intake, and cobb AP. Thanks for everyones help!

Now just to find out WHICH up and down and exhaust and intake and blah blah is best.....

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

If you are going for the "Bang for the Buck" option

Crucial Up & DP & PP Header 725.00

Contact Jeremy & Crucial, He may give you a really good deal if you also purchase the Catback from him;)

He is working on it currently, should be ready in a couple of months!

Personally, I like the shorty so that you can keep the stock catted midpipe -- it will make passing emissions a little easier when the time comes.

not to mention that i just really like the quality of every crucial part i've seen

Is there a reason why everyone recommends a Crucial DP (which is a shorty to my knowledge) as opposed to say a perrin full length for around $35 more? I'm lost cause I just got a Perrin DP :iam:

You can ask Patagonian and he will answer you.....

Crucial is the way to go!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

If you are going for the "Bang for the Buck" option

Crucial Up & DP & PP Header 725.00

Contact Jeremy & Crucial, He may give you a really good deal if you also purchase the Catback from him;)

He is working on it currently, should be ready in a couple of months!

+1!!!

Jeremy is a great guy!!!! Really reasonable and will do business with you for sure... Not like some other vendors who have really poor customer service and never return your phone calls.....

Good luck deciding..

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

You can ask Patagonian and he will answer you.....

Crucial is the way to go!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

haha.. you want the truth? you can't handle the truth.

If you ask PGT about Perrin you might be biting off more than you can chew.

haha.. you want the truth? you can't handle the truth.

If you ask PGT about Perrin you might be biting off more than you can chew.

"The truth shall make you free..."

Heheheheheeh

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

F&R sways..............350

SS brake lines.........175

Bobcat Pads.F&R.....190

Springs....................250

1000 mile break in should be done by now;)

Accessport (Purchase from Jon @ TDC & you get a bonus:)).....650

Crucial UP & DP..........500

Lightweight pulley......150

Crucialized header......250

Use whats left over for your TDC Protune **E-tune**

You will be in the 240-255WHP & 290-310Ftlb

I agree with this, but I'd look into cutting one or two thing out of this and getting new tires too. Or what you could do is get a flat after you do your mods and use it as an excuse for having to get new tires. The stock tires are horrible.

Archived