LegacyGT.com

Robitrice Idea Thread

So some of you may have heard but my turbo is shot and motor had turbo particulates in the oil. So i have a few options here and trying to weigh the pro's and cons of what to do and want to see what everyone else think on the options.....

car back ground and mods:

2005 GT 5spd with 132K on motor and driveline. Has for the most part basic bolt ons with the motor, fmic, cai, ebcs, tgv deletes, catless up and dp, walbro 255, vf52 (would stay with this turbo), brentuned, and a bunch of whiteline bushings and front sway bar. might be missing a few things. Plan was to have a fun dd and never had plans of going over 350whp until i had another reliable source of trans to take the lgt off the road and go project mode on it. So sound of what you would do...

Option 1: I can have a fully inspected, used vf52 put on and the oil system flushed until nothing shows and risk being in the same problem a week from now or get lucky and have it last another year or so.

Option 2: Same as option 1 except sell the car as is outright and fully disclose the issues to the buyer ensuring they understand there could be catastrophic failure imminent. use money to buy a another vehicle most likely high mileage and will need some work.

Option 3: Keep the car and buy a cheap $2k honda or toyota to get me on the road again and save up for a solid build and hope that nothing happens to my beater in the mean time

Option 4: Get a 2012 Sti Shortblock and get a basic build, freshen up the heads and be good for around 350whp, obviously the most expensive and would put me out thousands out up front but i would know exactly where the car is mechanically and know i have something sound and built right.

Now here is my thought process behind all of this. I sell the car and say i get 5K sold as is. I am not looking for car payments so a new car is out of the question, or even financing for a used one. I take the 5K and buy a used car, most likely going to need a little work and probably around 100K in miles. Most likely will need a 100K service done so another 1K spent. The only good part in this option is i am not out 5K as the money came from the sale.

Other thought is doing a rebuild and spending 5-7K knowing i have a brand new motor with zero miles and a good tune. This motor in theory should last another 100K and i would have piece of mind knowing that i essentially have a brand new car. Downfall is i am out 5-7K upfront opposed to possibly 3 yrs down the road when i would need a new car any way if i bought a 5K used one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too

@laff - nice! LOL

Robi... I am sorry to hear this obviously. I guess all these options are quite varied - of course I am going to say keep the car, these are nice cars. What's the other side of this equation though - what exactly can you afford, what's your budget by time - can you get the money somehow or only parts of it as you go, what do you have on hand and what can I do to help?

Get the new shortblock. (exactly what I am doing currently) this allows you to start fresh with a much stronger block from the start. Yes it might be spendy but you will be set up correctly for a future build.
torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

Sigma, all good points. I can afford it without question, i have a very good savings account but the idea was use that money for a house. I have been living at home to save so spending up front would set me back about half a year in saving money wise. I am blessed to have parents who help me when i am stuck in a jam and there is not a thing worse than asking for help when they are nice enough to let me still stay at home rent free. I do not want to burden them with my problem and i feel this should be my problem and not something they should have to worry about.

Parts wise everything would need to be bought, nothing is at hand. I can save some money in certain ways, I had the timing belt done at 105K so that setup can be reused so that is about a $200 savings. Sell the turbo as a core for $100 and the short block for $300 so another 4-600 recouped. This is my only car but a friend of mine is going to let me borrow his in case i am out for some time. in the meantime i have a rental.

I agree i would like to keep the car for the obvious reason, its rare, fun and different and i spent alot of time finding one. However i must also weigh the fact of where i am going to be in the next 3-5yrs of my life and if 5-7K out of pocket can adversely affect that plan. Appreciate the help so far all, and sigma u can help me bye helping spc ;)

• I Donated Too

I am helping SPC... if that keeps him out of your hair, you got it.

I guess you just need to think about this a little bit more and make a decision. if it's 'fix the car' then you need to focus on that and go for it without looking back, if it's time for a house and to settle down on the car then so be it, that's what you need to do. have a think and when your gut says what to do we'll all back that decision up whatever it may be.

decision has been made to sell the car as is. financially it is the best decision for a 25 yr old who is looking down the road. I will be creating a for sale ad for the car and some various parts that will be available for sale. Feel free to keep the thread open for people in similar positions or have other "ideas" about anything related to legacies. Its a tough decision for me but there will always be another car and there is no reason to make a financial burden at the age of 25 that you may regret in a few yrs. I will still be here though because spc worries me and i need laughs. Ill still be around at meets and stuff, the subaru world is contagious and i got very sick from it lol.

Boy that was a quick decision.

I think you know what I did. 15,000 miles on my new ej257 so far. Sounds like you don't have a place to work on the car yourself.

Good Luck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yea well i spent some time talking to other people, parents and the advice on here. It was soley based on finances, a 25 yr old who is saving for a house with a very solid savings. I do not want to jeopardize that hard work but taking a large sum from it and that is my number one priority right now. its not the decision i want to do but more the one i have to do to stay on track with my long term financials.

So keep your eyes popped for my for sale thread that will include a variety of good parts and the car as is for those who may want to take the project plunge.

Responsible lad right there. Can't deny that.

Yes, it's a hard choice.

I'm kind of in the market for a cated DP for my Spec B, if you happen to have one for sale.

I hope you do stay here and can find a good car to hold you over.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

so as i put my part out list together it leave me with another predicament of selling the car as a whole. By whole i mean the shot motor and remaining car. I am essentially parting out my bolt on parts and a few misc things. What would be a reasonable price to sell a car no bolt ons and a blown motor? It would clearly be for someone who wants a project and would be getting all the parts anyway, just would not have to worry about having spare parts as there would not be any.

minus basic boltons such as up and dp, no turbo, intercooler, bpv, mufflers, etc? thats the price i was figuring as is but i can certainly part out my aftermarket parts for a little more individually, ultimately I may end up sacrificing the price of the shell. Overall though i may still come out with the 4-6k.

i have a few but certainly not all of them, i have dp but it needs a new bung. I could ultimately find used ones for the sake of having the parts if selling the shell or as part of selling my after market part i would need the stock replacement or vice versa as some people have done before.

Archived