LegacyGT.com

random overheating

i started overheating on the interstate, pulled over, let things cool down, added some more fluid and continued home w/o any issues for another 50 miles at normal temp.

The next time i drove it it was fine for about 40 minutes, then when i adjusted the climate control it immediately started over heating again. figured it had to be thermostat related, so i replaced the thermostat.

First time driving it again and it seemed fine for about 15 minutes until i touched the climate controls and bam, temp starts shooting up. Any ideas what could be going on? I did my headgaskets and water pump about 500 miles ago

97 legacy 2.5 GT

sounds like you have air in the system. adjusting the climate control will draw air into certain areas that are trapped in cooling passages. air can only get there by a leak. find a leak, fix it, and refill the system. then lift the front wheels on a ramp or jack stands just to get the radiator cap to be the highest point in the system. w/ the heat on, run the engine. watch the cooling system and have plenty of coolant on hand. it will purge the system of air subsequently drawing more coolant into the engine and passages so you will have to add coolant often. (esp w/ the t-stat opens). in the shop, we have special tools that draw a vacuum on the system eliminating the need to do the bleed procedure but i'm assuming that most people dont have these tools. if you replaced the t-stat you prolly have air in it. most of the time, your engine actually isn't overtemping but the air pocket is trapped at the coolant temp sensor and therefore it reads hot as hell. not a big problem to fix. hope this helped.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

practically speaking, the only way adjusting the heater controls can trigger an overheating situation is if you turn on the AC and add more load to the engine or if you turn the AC off and the extra cooling fan goes off.

what kind of adjustment did you make to the heat controls when it over heated?

the coolant is always flowing through the heater core. the heater core is always hot. when you turn on the heat, you simply redirect the air flow across / through the heater core.

you could have an air bubble in the system. follow the directions for filling and ''burping'' the system. for more info search ''burp*''.

did you use a subaru t-stat?

if you compare a subaru oem side by side to an after market one, you will not ask why it is important.

did you install the t-stat spring side up?

before you did the head gaskets, did you use any ''stop leak'' in your cooling system?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived