LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru Legacy GT, Should i buy?

redsox99

A person in my area is selling a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT with 134,000 miles on it, and I was interested in buying it. I wasn't sure if this would be a good purchase because i didn't know if the turbo Subaru's were made to last a long time and i don't want this car to be a money pit. I was hoping some of you guys might share some insight! Thank you!

A person in my area is selling a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT with 134,000 miles on it, and I was interested in buying it. I wasn't sure if this would be a good purchase because i didn't know if the turbo Subaru's were made to last a long time and i don't want this car to be a money pit. I was hoping some of you guys might share some insight! Thank you!

Here's the bad news: they CAN be a money pit. Not guaranteed to be, but definitely possible. Probably not a great idea with an unknown history.

I bought my 2005 with 120k miles and it has been the biggest money pit I have ever owned. I have sunk more money into it in repairs then every car I've owned since I was 16 combined (I'm 41). That is not a joke. I shudder to think how much more it would of cost if I couldn't do most of the work myself.

Obviously many people haven't had as bad of luck as me but the potential is there.

Yeah ... this one can go either way. I traded my 05 LGT LTD at 146k. Very well maintained by the dealer with all the records. Not a money pit by any means, but it was getting into some repairs at the 130 mark. Both front calipers, front axle for a ripped boot, rear wheel bearing, wiper motor, and the A/C was starting to act up. That, and it was on the original turbo. The body and interior were immaculate and FWIW, it was gone in the same week.

I would rather put the money into payments for a new car instead of repairs for an older one.

As everyone has said, it's a hit or miss type of car :p. They sometimes last, while others are a huge money pit. Got mine for 6,000 from someone I knew w/147k on her. Almost put 10k on her, and she's been pretty good. Sure, Ive put some cash into mine, but most were mods. The only real parts I needed to replace were tires. The biggest factor is who owned it and how it was treated, and even then you can get a lemon. So be careful with which one you buy, and make sure to get as much info as you can from the person who owned it.

As said above, if you can't afford to fix it, don't buy it.

Its at the mileage that the turbo is about to blow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
As said above, if you can't afford to fix it, don't buy it.

Its at the mileage that the turbo is about to blow.

I popped mine at 60K on my 05. 2nd turbo is kinda sketch since the oil had glitter in it from the SB failure.

I know i'm late to the table to eat but I seen some cars for sale for years before they sold. If the car is still there, try and get a lower price and inspected by an independent shop. $6600 is about what I'm in for rebuild at 80K miles. Also take into consideration the ruber parts on the car may be going bad like belts bushings hoses and the turbo inlet under the intake mani.

You should definitely keep your expectations realistic, it is a performance car and can end up costing quite a bit to keep up over time. But no doubt it will also put a huge smile on your face when you drive it. If you just need a daily driver this is probably not for you.

Archived