LegacyGT.com

Another 5eat to 6mt/5mt swap questions. (05+ LGT) thread

crrider80

Well if it was done to the manual rom to begin with it would be fine also .

But if it wasnt a big deal to try it would help the community

Yeah, when I unplugged that it made most of those go away. Nothing in the ecu will make a difference in the can bus error however you will need to turn p700 codes off related to the tranny. From what I can remember, when I compares the wiring diagrams of the manual and auto lgt, there were quite a few differences, especially when it came to the cruise control. The tcm seemed to play a big part in the cruise control on the automatic. Even the abs units were different from one to the other. Hence why I stopped the install where I did, instead of replacing half the car.

I'll be performing the swap when my parts show up in late January. The swap is coming with everything, including BIU and ECU from a donor 2005 Outback XT to put into my 05 OBXT. Should work out well. I'll be posting to a swap thread I'll link here later. This thread is full of good info :)

Also, I'll be recording exactly what you need to do to make the trans member fit correctly. Measurements/stock size/cad drawing of bracket.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So why has no one done the swap with a 6mt yet?

It's just not a smooth swap unfortunately. So far there has been no evidence that the swap can be completed 100% without some kind of issues lingering which is probably why it hasn't been done on a large scale.

5MT->6MT is relatively easy and we've done it several times at our shop for customers. Our customers though are pretty picky so none of them have wanted to do the 5EAT->5MT/6MT swap due to the Dash and Cruise issue.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I am comited to to my 5eat-->6mt swap... Just haven't read about many/ any other 6mts. This thread has been very informative and influential in my decision making. If the err code and not having cruise control are the only issues then color me sold :lol:.

Hey Frankster, do you have any links for the 6mt swaps you mentioned?

• 3 weeks later...

After having my acme pinnacle / hexmods vb / frankster centre bushes heavily modified and built 5eat in my audm liberty for some time now, I will be biting the bullet and swapping to a 6 speed manual in a few weeks.

I absolutely love the 5eat and has been handling my 550whp 520ftlb of torque very well without a hitch. However for my intended circuit racing use, the 6mt just makes more sense (which absolutely pains me to say because of how much I love my 5eat). I'm sure I could've tried an aftermarket tcu etc to override the downshift limitation of the factory tcu for track (my main pain point and motivator for going manual), but wanted to try the 6 speed in any event

One thing I can confirm for sure - I had 3 ecu's sent to Tactrix for bench unbricking a couple of years back. One was auto two were manual ecu's. All had auto roms flashed onto them after unbricking, so this confirms flashing an auto rom onto manual ecu does not brick and vice versa.

I will be removing the tcu and flashing a manual rom onto my auto ecu when I do this - will report back if the high speed CAN error disappears

I also have a manual cluster here ready to swap in, which can be swapped without ecu/biu/ key fob change - so long as the programmer has acces to can software and can reprogram the cluster to sync with the ecu

My unique problem for this however is my audm gen 4 legacy (2004) has the dual avcs 32 bit ecu (like jap spec - originally ej20x motor), and thus may pose an issue with the cluster I'm using which is from the later model (usdm 08+ equivalent) s402 Sti manual with a 9000rpm tacho. It may not be a problem at all - but I'm keen to test this out (after the swap as dont want to complicate the swap initially)

Wish me luck!

Mick

This is a very long deep dream of mine. i would love to swap a 6spd into my 3.0R. there is a shop here in ontario that swaps in manuals into SVX's and im sure they have done other subarus as well.

Good luck Mick lets hope it all works out well for you.

• 1 year later...
Update on any of 5eat to manual issues? Mostly the cruise and dash errors? I've been driving a 4eat to 5mt 93 turbo legacy for too long and the rust is killing me. It's time for a new turbo wagon, but finding a auto 4th gen gt is far easier than a 5mt.

I am pretty sure you a not going to find any additional info on this one.

Cheapest option: find a manual wagon

Next least expensive option: Swap in to 6 MT or 5MT and loose cruise and get a CAN error on the odometer

Most expensive option: Buy the auto, find a wrecked manual wagon or complete part-out, and then you will have the additional parts you need to swap in the car to do it 100% correctly, including the ECU, cluster and immobilizer, ABS unit, BCM, factory harnesses and whatever other little differences you find when doing the swap.

Honestly, it seems like paying a little more and sourcing a MT wagon is WAY better of an option if you do not own the car as of yet :)

Update on any of 5eat to manual issues? Mostly the cruise and dash errors? I've been driving a 4eat to 5mt 93 turbo legacy for too long and the rust is killing me. It's time for a new turbo wagon, but finding a auto 4th gen gt is far easier than a 5mt.

There's a reason for that. I think its called, there are only like 1400 made. Mine is 1 of 108 in its model.

Listen to ESP Dyno, I believe he is Dave at ESP. He was one of the first to do this swap. My tuner also uses there dyno, great place to have work done on your car. They work on lots of different cars.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I was selling my other car a month ago, I started finding a bunch of manual wagons listed for sale which was a bit surprising. But here is what I found local to MA/CT/RI:

http://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/5418908531.html

Or, if you really want to take on a project:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/5402470839.html

I couldn't find a manual at the time so had to go this route. Looked for about 6 months. But it nice to have something different. Last thing anyone expects to be fast is a Subaru station wagon. Stock mufflers really throw people off, well at least until the external dump opens up :)

Max Capacity, appreciate the reference.

Yeah around here manual wagon come and go in the marketplace too, I missed a 2005 white wagon with under 100k but he wanted 2k more than my budget cause he knew it was "rare" ugh.

But I actually saw one on CL this morning black manual wagon spun rod, going to make offer today. Wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Most expensive option: Buy the auto, find a wrecked manual wagon or complete part-out, and then you will have the additional parts you need to swap in the car to do it 100% correctly, including the ECU, cluster and immobilizer, ABS unit, BCM, factory harnesses and whatever other little differences you find when doing the swap.

Can you confirm that this is doable and complete? I've long considered the conversion but don't want to deal with the Can bus errors and lack of Cruise Control.

If doing the swap is possible with no errors, i'm going to start saving again.

Can you confirm that this is doable and complete? I've long considered the conversion but don't want to deal with the Can bus errors and lack of Cruise Control.

If doing the swap is possible with no errors, i'm going to start saving again.

It's very doable, but the amount of labor, attention to detail, and headache required to do it to OEM quality of installation is 11 out of 10. You're basically stripping the majority of the car down to metal. It's a really big deal. I've gone that far before for other purposes, and I wouldn't want to ever do it again.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

i dont think you need to change the harness, i think you jsut need ecm from manual car.

throttle happy said he was able to bun the manual rom image to the auto one and fixed this issue that way.

basically the only problem is the ecm is looking to talk to the tcm.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 7 months later...