LegacyGT.com

2010+ BM9 : OEM crossbars and cargo basket

nuclrxn

:mad:So I picked up the OEM crossbars (E3610AJ520) and OEM Yakima LoadWarrior cargo basket (E361SSA200) for a trip I'm doing this weekend. Turns out the basket, although Subaru says it'll fit, is short by 8cm from mounting on the recommended crossbar position. Subaru TechInfo site, as well as the main Subaru website, lists this setup as compatible with the 2011+ Legacy sedan.

I did consider adjusting the bars to a wider position, each moving 4cm out, but the angle of the bars would change because of the sloping of the roofline on either end. Also, I felt the structure integrity of crossbars may be compromised once a load is put on the car.

I've decided that I want to keep the factory bars without deviating from the installation guide. If that's the case, I guess the Yakima basket has to go. Has anyone had any luck with this setup? The Yakima rep at REI said there aren't any Yakima mounts that will securely attach the basket to the extremely wide bars.

Here's my posting in case someone wants to buy the unused basket for a car with adjustable crossbars:

FS: Brand New, Yakima (Subaru) LoadWarrior Rooftop Cargo Basket - $200 (Silver Spring, MD)

BD

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Heuberger refunded my money for the basket, but not really the answer I was looking for. I really wanted the shipping, to and from, refunded as well. I guess they're a bit tight-fisted about it; they weren't jerks about, however. Next time I'll make sure the part isn't a universal part.

Heuberger ended up "making the part fit" on the crossbars. I didn't want to divert from the instructions, which meant the basket would never fit. The bars, center-to-center, are 28" apart. There's not way to position the basket brackets to fit correctly with that spread. Moving the rear (or front) brackets forward or backward, would make them off by 8cm. Here's the response from Heuberger:

Bradley,

Hey I received the basket back a couple days ago, I had our service dept. look at the basket and the rack, it went on with out a hitch. Now I told the gentlemen that installed the basket on one of our showroom cars about your situation. He had told me that to make it fit on the Legacy and another car, I think he said the Forester with the fixed bars, you have to take off the rear bracket on the basket I believe and move it to the most rear position it can go.

Either way I’m sorry you had difficulties and you had to go through what you did but I can not refund your shipping the item back to me as the product fits as intended. The pictures are attached. I hope you had a safe trip and a happy new year.

Best Regards,

---- -----

Heuberger Subaru

http://www.subarupartsstore.net

1-800-675-2227 719-475-1956

http://www.gatesmotorsports.com

Archived