LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having this installed by the BrenTuning guys while the car is in there for some other work. Going to have it retuned at the end of the work, also.

Technically, the only change is going from a Perrin TMIC to the (coated) GS TMIC. However, they're tracking down a potential fuel issue so I don't know how much of an effect whatever they find would have had on my pre-fixed-fueling tune... potentially a lot, I guess.

Either way, I'll have some before/after numbers. Will keep you all posted.

Numbers?

Got the Cobb installed without any issues, seems the Perrin BPV has too much length.

However, I do have the Sti booster/MC installed, but I dont think that comes off the firewall any farther than LGT? Could be wrong, but that may be partly to blame.

ended up being a bad MAF sensor causing my fueling issues. replaced the MAF and fixed my exhaust leak, and fuel is nice and tight. had to retune due to that, and the new GS TMIC.

This is on a BNR HTA71, DW65c pump, DW740cc injectors, AEM intake, Grimmspeed TMIC, Grimmspeed Ported manifolds, Grimmspeed crossover, Grimmspeed UP, Grimmspeed EBCS, Cobb DP, Borla CBE, Forge BPV, and some upgraded internals. Build sheet also attached, though there are some discrepancies (I am on HTA71 not HTA68). TGVs were deleted, and all the stuff that said "recommended" were chosen to be used.

edit: Also note, I'm on a 5EAT with the HexMods Valvebody upgrade

numbers went from:

Perrin: 303whp/267wtq @ ~21lbs (I believe, the plot doesn't have it)

GrimmSpeed: 318whp/345wtq @ ~22lbs (these are the numbers he had written down, the numbers on the plot are slightly different) -

The car feels awesome, pulls like a train (I'm sure the nice, cool weather helps). The curve also shifted to the left a little bit. When I was tuned originally, it was probably 85deg with 80%+ humidity. I was tuned today in the cool dry air. They have atmospheric measurements adjusted in the numbers, though.

edit: I believe he also said that along with added boost, he was able to add some timing.

The colored plot (first attachment) with only WHP/WTQ/AFR is the perrin, the black and white plot (second attachment) with WHP/WTQ/PSI/AFR is the Grimmspeed. He's supposed to be putting together a before/after plot for me as well for easier comparison. He attributed most of the gains to the TMIC, and not to fixing the MAF. Said the TMIC was awesome and he will be recommending it to others.

HTA71_dyno_20140801.pdf

HTA71_dyno_20150323.pdf

Alex Forrest - Build Sheet - Rev.02.pdf

Edited by snow05gtRI

Nice results Alex! Damn MAF sensors have been giving me hell recently. I need to keep a few in stock as they seem to be hitting EOL more and more frequently. Most frustrating is that they can look good using traditional diagnostic techniques. Bren was the first to clue me in on just how finicky they can be.

Glad to hear the GS TMIC went in smoothly on your car. Enjoy!

ended up being a bad MAF sensor causing my fueling issues. replaced the MAF and fixed my exhaust leak, and fuel is nice and tight. had to retune due to that, and the new GS TMIC.

This is on a BNR HTA71, DW65c pump, DW740cc injectors, AEM intake, Grimmspeed TMIC, Grimmspeed Ported manifolds, Grimmspeed crossover, Grimmspeed UP, Grimmspeed EBCS, Cobb DP, Borla CBE, Forge BPV, and some upgraded internals. Build sheet also attached, though there are some discrepancies (I am on HTA71 not HTA68). TGVs were deleted, and all the stuff that said "recommended" were chosen to be used.

edit: Also note, I'm on a 5EAT with the HexMods Valvebody upgrade

numbers went from:

Perrin: 303whp/267wtq @ ~21lbs (I believe, the plot doesn't have it)

GrimmSpeed: 318whp/345wtq @ ~22lbs (these are the numbers he had written down, the numbers on the plot are slightly different) -

The car feels awesome, pulls like a train (I'm sure the nice, cool weather helps). The curve also shifted to the left a little bit. When I was tuned originally, it was probably 85deg with 80%+ humidity. I was tuned today in the cool dry air. They have atmospheric measurements adjusted in the numbers, though.

edit: I believe he also said that along with added boost, he was able to add some timing.

The colored plot (first attachment) with only WHP/WTQ/AFR is the perrin, the black and white plot (second attachment) with WHP/WTQ/PSI/AFR is the Grimmspeed. He's supposed to be putting together a before/after plot for me as well for easier comparison. He attributed most of the gains to the TMIC, and not to fixing the MAF. Said the TMIC was awesome and he will be recommending it to others.

• 4 weeks later...
anyone notice rubbing on the hose going from the compressor outlet to the TMIC inlet? I was inspecting the engine bay and I see a wear-spot on the top of the S-hose , just past the compressor outlet bend. something from the hood appears to be rubbing, looks like coming from the splitter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • I Donated Too
Pressure drop isn't bad on its own. Remember, the amount of air in the system is a function of pressure X temperature. I'd rather have the same amount of air at lower pressure and lower temperature, that will result in less stress on the motor and it results in a more reliable tune. Yes, it can also mean that there's more headroom for the turbo too, but who cares?

wish me luck...going on the dyno next saturday with ewg and stx71 and GS TMIC...crossing my fingers :rolleyes:

That should be fun, post results.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.