lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone ever run different springs in the front than the rear?

Loving the look of the back on mine after putting the new tires and wheels on, but would really like for the front to be down another 1/2 inch or so.

I'm currently running the Rallitek springs on the USDM Spec B Bilstein's, and was thinking about trying to find another set of springs (H&R maybe?) that were a half inch more of a drop in the front to level it out. I could be WAY off basis, but I was thinking that if the springs were the same, or very similar, spring rates then I shouldn't have an issue.

Has anyone ever run different springs in the front than the rear?

Loving the look of the back on mine after putting the new tires and wheels on, but would really like for the front to be down another 1/2 inch or so.

I'm currently running the Rallitek springs on the USDM Spec B Bilstein's, and was thinking about trying to find another set of springs (H&R maybe?) that were a half inch more of a drop in the front to level it out. I could be WAY off basis, but I was thinking that if the springs were the same, or very similar, spring rates then I shouldn't have an issue.

If you lower front axle to visually level it out you'll disbalance front/rear axle load, including dynamic load under acceleration/braking, causing increased tyre and brake disk+pad wear, shock load (especially on bumpy roads).

Definitely not a good idea.

Yes but real world results would probably be negligible . Only if you really had a Starsky and hutch look would it have a truly adverse effect . I've heard people mix and match springs before . If you take performance seriously you'll stick with a matched set .

Yes but real world results would probably be negligible . Only if you really had a Starsky and hutch look would it have a truly adverse effect

Now it's time to remember, that Subaru = AWD, not FWD or RWD, where you can do almost everything. Disbalancing makes central diff go crazy sometimes (avoiding road accidents, other obstacles). Just check the price for central diff and make proper decision.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm running Tein H.Tech with stock shocks. Runs perfectly - less body roll, better feeling when braking. Excellent DD.

Works excellent with Cusco strut bars (top+bottom upper and lower bars are installed).

If you're not going offroad you may increase cornering performance with thicker sway bars (start with JDM, then COBB, Perrin and so on): + 2-3 mm will make huge difference on setup listed above.

Sorbus,

Do you think I could get you to measure your fender arch heights, in inches, front and rear for me?

Pretty please with a TMIC on top?

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Sorbus,

Do you think I could get you to measure your fender arch heights, in inches, front and rear for me?

Pretty please with a TMIC on top?

Very tough since my father took it to another country while on vacation.

BUT I have photos:

before install:

rear P1100270

front P1100271

after:

rear P1100295

front P1100294

as you can see, difference in clearance is not huge, and that was my aim - keep almost stock-look and improve handling.

Liner is in centimeters, you can convert to inches by yourself.

• 3 months later...

Hey folks, apologize in advance. I'm sure this question has been asked, but there's too many darn pages.

So, my question is: how can I go back to original ride height. I have MRI(?) springs. I think that's the name. There was a time when the Eilbach pro kit wasn't being made and this company made springs with the Eilbach specs. They have about 50k on them. Seem to have sunk to almost 2"drop. Koni yellows. Sway bars f&r. Invidia exhaust. Here's the thing: has a trailer hitch put on to transport my bicycle. Car is so low hitch scrapes on every slope and flex pipe scraped almost to having a hole in it. Since I'm stg 3/4, would like to keep tight ride with higher profile. TIA

Hey folks, apologize in advance. I'm sure this question has been asked, but there's too many darn pages.

So, my question is: how can I go back to original ride height. I have MRI(?) springs. I think that's the name. There was a time when the Eilbach pro kit wasn't being made and this company made springs with the Eilbach specs. They have about 50k on them. Seem to have sunk to almost 2"drop. Koni yellows. Sway bars f&r. Invidia exhaust. Here's the thing: has a trailer hitch put on to transport my bicycle. Car is so low hitch scrapes on every slope and flex pipe scraped almost to having a hole in it. Since I'm stg 3/4, would like to keep tight ride with higher profile. TIA

Epic Springs are Eilbach Now

I have the RalliTEK's with the Koni's and got about 1" drop all around.

I'm running those RalliTek springs on my Legacy GT wagon and they do a nice job of dropping the car down about an inch all around (on the stock struts); without the saggy butt syndrome also.

The issue I have now is I swapped the stock struts for Bilstein HD struts and now the front end sits up about an inch higher than with the stock strut / RalliTek springs combo.

just an FYI if you have Bilsteins installed or are thinking about them...

xxoo

Spit

• 1 month later...
I am looking to only lower my 2008 Legacy 2.5i by half (0.5") or 3/4 (0.75") of an inch as I live in winter country (Canada). Any recommendation on springs to accomplish this very little drop? Attached in my Legacy with 18" Rota Tarmac II and Toyo T1R tires, a slight drop would accentuate the look and handling as this is a daily driver.

Have you tried looking at RCE Springs? I'm looking into springs and it seems to have the least amount of drop to all the other brands but that's for my 5g legacy. It was about 8/10th of an inch drop if I remember correctly. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I'm trying to figure out what I should go with I was leaning more toward bc coils for the adjustability but now I'm hearing not to because of the snow/ salt will destroy them. But what type of setup would I run for struts and springs?

Kevin, I just installed BC's.this means I have a built Koni yellow +rallitek spring strut combo ready to ship. 15k miles reason for the switch was that I just wanted adjustability. Pm if you are interested.