LegacyGT.com

Using an 08 Steering Wheel on earlier model

Question 1: Can you transplant an 08+ steering wheel (pictured) onto an older model Legacy? My wheel is starting to become worn. I know a lot of people use the DAMD wheel and like it but just considering other options as well for price.

Question 2: I know that's an automatic and so has paddle shifters etc, I'm not interested in those, but can the cruise control buttons be wired up to the older "push up push down" style system?

http://preview.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Legacy_3.0_R-2008-1024-06.jpg

I believe someone asked this and the said you had to use the airbag as well from that wheel as well.

I ended up just going with a gently used 05 LL Bean Outback wheel. If the 08 is like the 05-07, the buttons have a screw hidden in the back of the frame that faces the dash and column. I ended up transferring my buttons and cruise control to that wheel.

Yeah I know with the DAMD if you use a different year's steering wheel you have to get that airbag as well. So I guess it is possible to transplant a wheel over. They look comfy maybe I'll look into that. Maybe I could switch the stereo over to a p204 and hook up some steering wheel controls too...:wub:

One thing that came across my mind is the wires may be the same or different for the cc.

Wish I took more pics when I pulled mine. Was more focused on getting it done and over with.

Sent from my iFail using Tapatalk App

I want nothing to do with paddle shifters.

I have 08 5EAT parts car, will be taking the steering wheel off and compare it with my 07 steering to see if it's plug and play.

Will let you know soon!

Thanks I'm very interested

my understanding is that the wheel splines are different and even the count is different

That being said, they needed the whole column even if they weren't going paddle shifters? Seems like they keep changing stuff at random like the passenger seat workings.

Archived