LegacyGT.com

Subaru Canada Debuts 2008 Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon, spec.B

Jon in CT

This is from http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&searchText=false&showText=all&actionFor=635587:

FEBRUARY 14, 2007 - 13:00 ET

Subaru Canada Debuts New 2008 Legacy and Outback at Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto

Legacy Wagon Now Exclusive to Canada in North America

MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - Feb. 14, 2007) - Subaru Canada, Inc. (SCI) today unveiled the new 2008 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon, Legacy 2.5GT spec.B Sedan and 2008 Outback 3.0R at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto. The Legacy and Outback lineups each receive distinctive new styling cues that differentiate the sophisticated Legacy from the rugged Outback. In addition to the new sheet metal, performance of several new models will be enhanced with a new, second-generation 5-speed electronic automatic transmission with blipping control that matches engine speed while downshifting and features steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters on 2.5GT Legacy models.

Outside, the 2008 Legacy's stylish new look includes a new front grille with chrome crossbars, new front-end sheet metal, and new head lamps and tail lamps combined with new front and rear bumpers that conveys a refined, contemporary new look. In addition, Subaru has added even more value to the Legacy lineup with a redesigned instrument panel, new interior fabrics, and new standard equipment that now includes a telescopic steering wheel.

The new 2008 Outback is distinguished from Legacy by a larger and more upright chrome front grille with a revised front fascia and redesigned fenders and hood for a bolder and more rugged appearance. The new Outback also features new wheels for the 2.5XT and 3.0R 6-cylinder models.

"Subaru Canada is delighted to continue to offer the Legacy Wagon to Canadian customers, in spite of the fact that it will no longer be offered in the U.S.," said Katsuhiro Yokoyama, president, chairman and CEO of SCI. "Canadians have always favoured the convenience, utility and good looks of our wagon models, and Subaru will continue to ensure that our model lineup supports the unique needs and choices of our Canadian customers."

All Outback 3.0R models will now be equipped with Subaru's advanced Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction system, as well as SI-DRIVE that allows the driver to maximize engine performance, control and fuel efficiency by choosing from three selectable modes - Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp. In fact, VDC is now standard on a wide range of Legacy and Outback models, including Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan and 2.5GT Sedan, Legacy spec.B Sedan and the Outback 2.5i Limited and 2.5XT, as well as the 3.0R models.

Every Subaru is also built to the highest levels of passive safety. Legacy has garnered the highest award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) - "Top Safety Pick" - in the mid car segment, thanks to its light but strong Ring Frame Reinforced structure. In addition, both Legacy and Outback received 5-star ratings for the driver and front passenger and rear passengers in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) crash tests.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well that solves the f*cking mystery. the 2.5GT is alive and kicking!!

It has been already confirmed by Samir that GT stays for MY2008. Nothing new.

It is freaking insulting of SOA that they will build these wagons RIGHT HERE IN THE USA ONLY FOR EFFIN CANADIAN MARKET.

This is probably the only case in automotive history of a Japanese company building cars in the US that are not sold in the US... and exported only to Canada. :rolleyes:

Now, tell me that the wagon is not subject to some perverted corporate games. Some* body *at SOA decided to prove his brilliant idea of Outback-only wagons and did everything to make it happen: killing MT on 06 LGT wagon, limiting production so it was nearly impossible to find the wagons in 2006/2007 and even hiding the fact on the website that 2006-2007 2.5i wagon can be had with manual transmission.

:mad:

I am curious if it gets the new JDM/EDM wagon rear end or they will carryover the current wagon rearend like in the US MY2008 FrankenOutback.

Overall good news... despite the overpriced price tag SOC is gonna put on it. At least in can be imported to the US fairly easily.

Subaru Canada is delighted to continue to offer the Legacy Wagon to Canadian customers, in spite of the fact that it will no longer be offered in the U.S. Canadians have always favoured the convenience, utility and good looks of our wagon models, and Subaru will continue to ensure that our model lineup supports the unique needs and choices of our Canadian customers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: He told you unclemat! You don't have unique needs like the Canucks. :lol: Bwahahahahaha! :dm::hide:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Damn, the way you titled this thread, I thought we were getting a Spec b wagon, but that's why you did it :lol:

Me too!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But how come Canadian brothers can have the GT Wagon and we can't down the border?

Wierd SoA!!!!!

Each day more disappointed :icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad:

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

naimouasta posted pictures on NASIOC from canadiandriver.com.

I'm sad the spec.B doesn't have the cool JDM/euro front end. I also hope it's offered in more colors than that dark grey (nice color, but I don't want it).

No other information other than what has been said. Yes, CDN gets the wagon.

07torontoshow_pw_006-2060.jpg.001ea6cf835f697490c0c149e563be25.jpg

07torontoshow_pw_005-2059.jpg.7c06c99d2be69293317ab02fd1fdee3d.jpg

dsc_0153-2122.jpg.c79f534f29450c9da843a04280c1d8a1.jpg

-ben

It is freaking insulting of SOA that they will build these wagons RIGHT HERE IN THE USA ONLY FOR EFFIN CANADIAN MARKET.

:mad:

Silly I know, but its a fact that we have always had better taste up here:icon_wink ... and it appears that Subaru of Canada will treat us to what we want.

They are indeed laughing while they ass-pound us to the tune of $40K for the privilege to drive one...

If only they would give us the wagon with a manual tranny too !

I'm sure if these are rolling off the production line in Indiana, then US dealers should be able to special order them, all u need to do is swap the instrument cluster.

Unfortunatelly not. Subaru is a complex web of "independent companies". As it was explained to me by Samir, actually SOA has "nothing to do with what is being produced at SIA". :rolleyes: Pretty nonsensical, but SIA is apparently independent entity and both SOA and SOC independently order and pay for cars being made there.

Anyway, it's someone's bad will at SOA. They could have made the car non-cancellable special order-only. Indeed, the only difference between Canadian and US car is the gauge cluster.

Some pictures from CanadianDriver.com:

The 2008 Legacy 2.5GT Wagon

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007autoshows/images/toronto_auto_show/2007_subaru_legacy_wagon/07torontoshow_pw_005-2059.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007autoshows/images/toronto_auto_show/2007_subaru_legacy_wagon/dsc_0193-2231.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007autoshows/images/toronto_auto_show/2007_subaru_legacy_wagon/dsc_0192-2230.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007autoshows/images/toronto_auto_show/2007_subaru_legacy_wagon/dsc_0153-2122.jpg

The 2008 Legacy 2.5GT spec.B

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2007autoshows/images/toronto_auto_show/2007_subaru_legacy_spec.b/07torontoshow_pw_006-2060.jpg

New spec.B wheels. Nice.

So whats to stop someone ordering directly from SIA ?

I guess they don't deal with mere mortals... no such thing as ordering from the factory.

Btw, some SOA insiders have access to special cars... it is known that there is a US spec 2006 LGT Limited MT wagon in existence. I checked it's carfax and it said "manufacturer's car". Also, funny, when I called SOA to inquire about the warranty coverage, they could not find the car in their system!

Eventually they did in "another system" and it had warranty but it clearly started on it's production date (May something 2005). Actually it was allegedly one of the first MY2006 cars manufactured.

Well, I love the new look. It is much more "Euro" in my opinion. And the Spec B looks awesome. Reviews on the Spec B wheels are mixed but I think they have a home run there.

God, I pray that they are wider than 7"... but I bet they aren't. Are they still putting piddly 215's on there too?

Archived