LegacyGT.com

Air bags did not go off

Well a few months back had a bad front end collision someone turned right in front of me and could not stop in enough time while I was doing 40mph in a 40mph. So I was wondering why neither my steering wheel or side curtins airbags did not go off he all so got the side of my drivers side to I though subarus where safe cars was I wrong.:(

Well yes and no I also had a tumor size of a lemond found in my head when I got a mri a few days later and thank god for that accident they said It was growing in my head for over 20yrs of my life. But I thought there was a recall of cars that had the same problem so don't think I'am bitching. But I'm still an little worried that if someone like you or any one else that this would happen to that they would work!

Well yes and no I also had a tumor size of a lemond found in my head when I got a mri a few days later and thank god for that accident they said It was growing in my head for over 20yrs of my life. But I thought there was a recall of cars that had the same problem so don't think I'am bitching. But I'm still an little worried that if someone like you or any one else that this would happen to that they would work!

Whoa holy crap dude, are they going to be able to remove the tumor okay?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

They all ready did it's been about two month know and it was not cancers thank god know I'm going for radiation so that they can get the rest of it. If they would have got it all at once I would had no motor function on my right side so the radiation going to get the rest.

Well good to hear you will probably end up allright... again with airbags a front end crash does not garuntee that your airbags are going to go off, it only goes off when particular sensors go off and the speed etc show that it would lessen the crash impact. If it was at an angle or sudden it could have just been following design.. Do you have any pics of the car?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I think so but two days later I was in the hospital and I was not really concerned about the car at that time. I just saying I thought I heard of a recall for air bags side or other wise where would I find out about this info.

Holy shit :eek: No airbags saved your life:p. I hope all goes well with your treatment, my friend was recently diagnosed , but it's too late and its spread images/smilies/frown.gif

if there was a recall note for your car on airbags, subaru would have mailed you something or you would have been notified upon taking it to a dealer for service. fyi, someone already said it, but airbags have speed and impact sensors that trigger the actual airbag going off ... it sounds like you may not have needed the airbag depending on the speed and angle of impact.

airbags deploying under 30mph can be worse than the collision in a well designed car. There are design calls to be made to figure out what gives the car best survivability.

there is a recall for a very small number of 2005 legacies regarding side impact airbags.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsummary.cfm?rcl_campaign_id=04V274000&prod_id=114300&moduletype=VEHICLE&make=SUBARU&model=LEGACY&vehtype=UNK&veh_model_year=2005&searchtype=DrillDown

but from reading it, it involves issues with the airbags AFTER the sensors have worked.

Unless you were injured in the collision, and the airbags failed to deploy... you have nothing to worry about.

In the 'early days' airbags would deploy more liberally .. but studies have shown that in a good number of cases, the airbags can make some accidents WORSE. There are an assload of sensors to detect passengers of a proper weight, the collision is the right 'type, etc.

your manual details to great length the situations in where your airbag will and will NOT deploy.. check it out.

Basically.. your airbags didn't deploy because they didn't need to.. the accident wasn't that bad. You should be thanking subaru for saving you $800 for each airbag NOT deployed.

Archived