LegacyGT.com

Strut Spring 96 Impreza Outback

Kipper

I recently replaced the struts on a '96 Impreza Outback. When I replaced the passenger side rear strut, I noticed that there was alot LESS clearance space between the spring and the wheel well of the car if you were to compare the clearance space on the driver's side rear. The spring appeared to be installed correctly. After messing with it for awhile, I was able to install the strut and the sping and I put it all back together. Now when we go over a bump I hear and feel the spring rubbing up against the inside of the passenger side wheel-well. Is this a bad spring? Why would I have that much less clearance space on that side?? Spring worped?

Check the upper strut mount. I don't know how you managed to put the car back together this way, but if you managed to get the top hat/strut mount on 180 degrees in the opposite direction it would put the strut about an inch or so closer to the wheel well. Whenever you go over a bump the spring will naturally move outward away from the center of the car as the suspension geometry changes, maybe this is causing it? I'm not sure how you would've been able to get the top hat/strut mount through the holes in the chassis though, there seems to be no possible way to fasten it down without bending/breaking something in the process.

Does the car sit level? Does it lean to the passenger side at all? What about camber? If you have a lot of camber this could be where the geometry is compensating for putting the top hat on backwards, but in theory it would also make the car lean towards the passenger side.

Other than replacing the strut mount I'm stumped.

I put brand new strut mounts on in the back....My theory is the hat is slightly turned or...The car was hit on the opposite side before I owned the vechicle. When it was hit it might have slighltly bent the spring. And then the spring was installed on the passenger side strut after both were taken apart

Archived