LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy BP5 GT Limited - 07 JDM BP5 Legacy Tuned By STI conversion project

I'm going to have to take mine out when I get my dash and airbag replaced. You could scan it then if you have the capability.

Is your car suffering from the melted dash recall? I've heard that subaru was doing a replacement on dash assemblies due to melting or humidity issues ruining the material?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your car suffering from the melted dash recall? I've heard that subaru was doing a replacement on dash assemblies due to melting or humidity issues ruining the material?

When it is warm my dash does get sticky. I actually damaged it a little removing the central vent trim piece.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoke with Elite Collision Center today and I've been told the car is completely apart ready for paint next week. There was a little delay as they had other cars they had to get finished before they could start on mine. Additionally some minor body work - cleaning up dents, removing some door dings, and other minor repairs before they prime it. It's gonna be another couple weeks before I can see the finished product. The wait time is killing me but it will be worth it. These guys are some of the best in terms of attention to detail and quality.

Incredible build, amazing attention to detail and no short cuts taken!

So you're using the jdm ej20y, yes? You will be using the jdm ecu then too (to control dual avcs)?

These motors in my experience are problematic for North American markets. Locally we have 94 octane and even that wasn't enough for the high compression nature of the ej20y, ultimately resulting in less than satisfactory hp figures. Lots of timing had to be removed to prevent detonation. Just a heads up!

Incredible build, amazing attention to detail and no short cuts taken!

So you're using the jdm ej20y, yes? You will be using the jdm ecu then too (to control dual avcs)?

These motors in my experience are problematic for North American markets. Locally we have 94 octane and even that wasn't enough for the high compression nature of the ej20y, ultimately resulting in less than satisfactory hp figures. Lots of timing had to be removed to prevent detonation. Just a heads up!

My mechanic was familiar with the nature of the EJ20Y and ultimately used the JDM ECU however due to certain aspects of the 05 vs JDM 07 difference we ended up re-pinning certain parts of the ecu to make the engine work properly. Yea here in CA it's even worse cause pump is 91 and I think that might cause issues but I'll get an open source tune using 91 octane and hopefully @yimisport will be able to make it work properly.

I don't believe open source works for the jdm ECU, will you be using the usdm ECU?

^ agreed e85 would be an awesome option. These motors have great mpg, spool and performance when given the right fuel

Edited by SAABaruu

I don't believe open source works for the jdm ECU, will you be using the usdm ECU?

^ agreed e85 would be an awesome option. These motors have great mpg, spool and performance when given the right fuel

Good point. Will definitely consider it when I speak with the tuner about the motor set up and options.

Opensource tools do indeed support these cars and I've tuned several, from Egypt to Australia.

Compression is quite high and the stock tune expects octane higher than you get in the US, so you will knock heavily on 93 or 94MON fuel.

I have one customer running his on E85 and another blending his own fuel from 91MON plus 10% methanol. Another good solution is water meth injection.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Some may say I wasted money, but I prefer the JDM Legacy specific STI short throw shifter. It's not just a shorter shifter arm like many of the aftermarket STS products. It's the whole assembly with different bushings compared to the stock one. This piece is found standard on the Tuned By STI version 6MT Legacy.

Part Number - ST3501021020

35401353700_fd697d1596_b.jpg

34949446934_2c26255aa2_b.jpg

Edited by valleylegacy

I also wanted to try out the JDM STI EJ Engine sports oil filter. From what I read the oil filter uses superior filtration and also higher pressure relief which in turn enables the filter to withstand higher temperatures. Bought 5 of them.

STI described it further "Also capture carbon, pitch spacer net prevents damage to the filter paper deformation during high pressure. Also to high viscosity oil."

Part Number - ST152084S000

35401353610_49781bf6c4_b.jpg

35401353510_ed9e8aa6ba_b.jpg

35620442252_62c61c5860_b.jpg

35401353410_197cb7a696_b.jpg

Edited by valleylegacy

Some may say I wasted money, but I prefer the JDM Legacy specific STI short throw shifter. It's not just a shorter shifter arm like many of the aftermarket STS products. It's the whole assembly with different bushings compared to the stock one. This piece is found standard on the Tuned By STI version 6MT Legacy.

Part Number - ST3501021020

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/elisliquorstore/JDM%20BP5%20Tuned%20by%20STI%20build/IMG_8561_zpsjl12kpkw.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/elisliquorstore/JDM%20BP5%20Tuned%20by%20STI%20build/IMG_8560_zpsyt9sh2l6.jpg

I'd love to find one of those!

Opensource tools do indeed support these cars and I've tuned several, from Egypt to Australia.

Compression is quite high and the stock tune expects octane higher than you get in the US, so you will knock heavily on 93 or 94MON fuel.

I have one customer running his on E85 and another blending his own fuel from 91MON plus 10% methanol. Another good solution is water meth injection.

I haven't been able to get into it. Are you using ECU flash? Is there a definition for that ECU specifically? Your help would be appreciated!

Definition availability is a bit hit or miss with some. Even without a def you should still be able to connect up to ECUFlash with a Tactrix cable which will then let you atleast see the calid/ecuid and do some further digging if it doesn't work with the standard defs.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I haven't been able to get into it. Are you using ECU flash? Is there a definition for that ECU specifically? Your help would be appreciated!

Note there are often a few different CALIDs for a single model over a 2 or 3 year period. Subaru do a few logic or tune updates over the life of the model. The final ROM runs on the earlier cars just fine and when they were still in warranty it would have been SOP for the dealer to update without even telling the owner.

So, even though there may have been 5 or 6 CALIDs specified for a car it's only necessary to define the last one.

Yes I'm using ECUflash but I also have some definitions not in the public domain.

If you can grab the CALID then that's the easiest way to be sure. Otherwise let me know the model year. I have definitions for MY'07 and solid basemaps for different fuels.

Edited by fahr_side
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Note there are often a few different CALIDs for a single model over a 2 or 3 year period. Subaru do a few logic or tune updates over the life of the model. The final ROM runs on the earlier cars just fine and when they were still in warranty it would have been SOP for the dealer to update without even telling the owner.

So, even though there may have been 5 or 6 CALIDs specified for a car it's only necessary to define the last one.

Yes I'm using ECUflash but I also have some definitions not in the public domain.

If you can grab the CALID then that's the easiest way to be sure. Otherwise let me know the model year. I have definitions for MY'07 and solid basemaps for different fuels.

really great to know you have that info. Thank you and I may have to email you when it comes time to tune. If my tuner hits a roadblock we will troubleshoot with you.

These are the type of builds I like to read about. The vision, commitment, and attention to detail, not to mention the bank roll to see this project through is astonishing!!! Great work man!!!

Here I am struggling to find a decent set of side strakes ( outside of avojapan or japanparts.com) for my car! :lol:

Edited by Jaybird2013

These are the type of builds I like to read about. The vision, commitment, and attention to detail, not to mention the bank roll to see this project through is astonishing!!! Great work man!!!

Here I am struggling to find a decent set of side strakes ( outside of avojapan or japanparts.com) for my car! :lol:

Thank you for the comments and support. Those side strakes are really tough to find used. I lived and work in Japan and I think in over 8 years I've seen those pop up only about 2 times on the used market. I'm not sure why but they just don't turn up used often.

What are you using for a shiftboot? my stock one doesn't look like it will fit over this, looking for some advice on that Valley

I ended up converting to the EDM LHD Legacy REV D-F center console assembly which uses a different shift boot and ring. The EDM LHD Legacy was available in a 3.0R Spec B version which has a 6MT set up allowing the use of this STI 6MT STS without issue. The set up looks like this:

35401350020_41962c2304_z.jpg

Edited by valleylegacy

I ordered the 2011 STI Black Sunroof/map light controls to use on my car. It is a solution but not the same exact look of the original piece. There will be some modification needed to transfer over the airbag indicator but at least the console over all is black in color to match everything else. The sunroof control only needs one button to operate so the other button will be a dummy.

Part Number - 84621FG131JC

35401349860_2d12e9cfb6_b.jpg

35401349650_87091c4e35_b.jpg

Sedan owners wanting to swap to the black interior will be happy since these controls are exactly the same minus the airbag indicator light that is integrated in but at least both buttons will be functional for them.

Edited by valleylegacy

You'd be a perfect candidate for E85.

I will definitely be considering the E85 route. I spoke with my tuner and he has tuned many of the EJ20Y of pump gas and was also recommending E85. From what I have read, E85 is rated between 100-105 octane but contains less energy than gasoline, thus requiring more of it to go the same distance as gasoline?

I'm not trying to target 350WHP or anything close to that. I do care about fuel economy and having a safe tune for longevity. I'm not looking to track this car everyday and race people off the line. LOL.

I'm considering all options as to the best solution for long term use of this engine and performance.

E85 means you get worse gas mileage in exchange for safety and power. With E85 you will probably hit 350 WHP, but get between 12 and 18 mpg.

You're right. I have been consulting with the tuner and based on the options avail and I need to decide on setting for 240 - 250 WHP on 91 pump gas with an open source tune or use an access port and go up to 350 WHP but have less mileage and I need to buy an upgraded fuel pump and injectors. I would have the ability to switch between pump gas and E85, obviously not mixing the two.

Maybe I should have gotten a EJ255/257