LegacyGT.com

Melted Rubber Turbo Line=Blown Turbo & Engine?

I have an 08 Legacy GT with 30,000 miles. It started making this strange noise like a plastic bag whipping in the wind. Right after that I had no power and when you stepped on the gas it sounded like a bunch of metal bolts being shaken in a tin coffee can. Roadside assistance towed it and dealer said it was a melted rubber turbo line that caused the turbo & engine to blow. Was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this or had this happen. Giving me a hassle for warranty as I don't have receipts for oil changes. Am wondering if it's because I am a female with 0 knowledge about cars except for where the gas and windshield washer fluid goes.

This is strange, aren't you covered under 36,000miles/3years bumper to bumper warranty? Why is the dealership giving you a problem with it? I suggest you bring this up to SOA if the dealer wants to charge you for the repairs.

Well, the turbo oil return line to the cylinder head is rubber, so it is possible that the oil leaked out there and starved the turbo and motor.

This is not something that would be caught during a routine oil change unless the tech was very observant and the leak started gradually.

Unfortunately, based on what you've told us so far, I have to agree that the turbo and long block (engine) will need to be replaced. This should be covered by warranty regardless of the receipts. Did you have oil changes done at a jiffy lube type place? Maybe contact them for the records.

This is strange, aren't you covered under 36,000miles/3years bumper to bumper warranty? Why is the dealership giving you a problem with it? I suggest you bring this up to SOA if the dealer wants to charge you for the repairs.

I am covered under the 3/36 warranty...or thought I was. They are saying that since I don't have receipts for the oil changes, I have no proof that the vehicle was maintained properly which could void the warranty. The dealer originally said it was warranted, but when they contacted SOA, they said they needed this that and the other thing, and the oil change receipts were part of it. SOA is making them drop the oil pan and tear part of the engine apart to make sure there isn't any sludge and that the engine is clean. In the meantime they gave me a rental which they say I will have to pay for if it isn't warranted. Grrr.. Not happy with SOB - I mean SOA at this point.

Essentially, it sounds like your turbo blew for one reason or another. When the turbo blew, it could have send metal bits into your engine (the metal in a tin can noise)

The dealer is probably correct if they say the engine is blown, why its blown and what causes the issue might be over some of their heads (sadly enough). As others have said, the oil line is metal. The oil drain is connected with a short rubber hose, but I find it hard to believe that one failed. I am not sure it is even under pressure. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, you are under warranty, get a new engine. Subaru of America should help speed things up. I assume you have been changing the oil? Fresh oil is critical in these engines - that is why they asked for oil change receipts. Old or dirty oil can clog at the turbo, causing what you have experienced.

Well, the turbo oil return line to the cylinder head is rubber, so it is possible that the oil leaked out there and starved the turbo and motor.

This is not something that would be caught during a routine oil change unless the tech was very observant and the leak started gradually.

Unfortunately, based on what you've told us so far, I have to agree that the turbo and long block (engine) will need to be replaced. This should be covered by warranty regardless of the receipts. Did you have oil changes done at a jiffy lube type place? Maybe contact them for the records.

I didn't have oil changed at a retail place but the guy who always changed it for me works at one.

Dealer said there was antifreeze mixed with oil in the engine. What struck me as being strange is that they had it diagnosed within a half hour of it being towed in and said they had seen this before.

Essentially, it sounds like your turbo blew for one reason or another. When the turbo blew, it could have send metal bits into your engine (the metal in a tin can noise)

The dealer is probably correct if they say the engine is blown, why its blown and what causes the issue might be over some of their heads (sadly enough). As others have said, the oil line is metal. The oil drain is connected with a short rubber hose, but I find it hard to believe that one failed. I am not sure it is even under pressure. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, you are under warranty, get a new engine. Subaru of America should help speed things up. I assume you have been changing the oil? Fresh oil is critical in these engines - that is why they asked for oil change receipts. Old or dirty oil can clog at the turbo, causing what you have experienced.

The guy that changes my oil said the same thing about the fresh oil so I had him change it every 3500 miles. He also suggested using synthetic oil which I did. I don't think they will find dirty oil. Just makes me nervous.

a number of things would cause the coolant in the oil... and that's very easy to "diagnose"... simply pop the drain plug on the oil and you'll see the mixture come out the bottom... once they saw that, they go with the whole "your engine's toast"... which seems accurate to me.

Go get your reciepts... If the guy doesn't have them, you might be in trouble. IF you do change your oil, you can have your oil tested to verify that it is "good" oil... that proves the oil isn't old and it's fresh... Not sure where to have it tested, I keep receipts... but i've heard of that option working out for a couple members on here... maybe they'll chime in :). hopefully the stealership hasn't thrown your old oil into the giant can of bad oil yet. Goodluck

EDIT: I completely agree with "the Boss"... Call them and raise hell... No reason your stock subaru should blow a motor with less then 36k on it... they will come to terms with it and you won't get charged...

Edit2: AND with changing your synthetic oil every 3500, your engine internals should be clean enough to eat off of... I change my oil every 5k.

the dealer just assumed that your a woman that never changed the oil. believe it or not it does happen. my boss went 100 000 km never changed the oil in his jetta.. he well he saved a 1000$ by not changing his oil. lost 250 to tow the stupid car to the shop and 2500 to change the engine.

there are a lot of people who just don't think about it. but when it comes down to it you should change your oil every 8 - 10 gas fill ups !

its nice most gm cars have the automatic reminder do the new subies have that ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Wow?!?! I feel for you. It seems like warranties these days are a false sense of security. It's like extended medical, sorry we are not going to cover you heart transplant because you ran every day putting undo stress on the muscle....Makes me mad as hell.

I had a warranty issue with my 09 TSX with Technology package. My speakers kept blowing, I don't listen to my music loud, and even though there was a TSB for the problem Acura kept trying to blame the problem on me using too much base. Nine speakers have been replaced under warranty.

I hate dealerships.

All that said, and as much as I hate to say it, when your car is under warranty take it to the dealership. Think of the headache you could have saved yourself.

Dealerships crave people who don't keep receipts or get their cars serviced by them.

Wow?!?! I feel for you. It seems like warranties these days are a false sense of security. It's like extended medical, sorry we are not going to cover you heart transplant because you ran every day putting undo stress on the muscle....Makes me mad as hell.

I had a warranty issue with my 09 TSX with Technology package. My speakers kept blowing, I don't listen to my music loud, and even though there was a TSB for the problem Acura kept trying to blame the problem on me using too much base. Nine speakers have been replaced under warranty.

I hate dealerships.

All that said, and as much as I hate to say it, when your car is under warranty take it to the dealership. Think of the headache you could have saved yourself.

Dealerships crave people who don't keep receipts or get their cars serviced by them.

what your not allowed to change the oil your self ?

sure you can that or find some one who has bills for thier own car..

they want bills give them bills

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Really all you need is some record that the changes were done. It doesn't have to be receipts. If you log your maintenance, that's more than enough. Or, if you paid the guy who does your changes, CC statements or receipts from him would do the job.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Well apparently they dropped the oil pan and ripped part of the engine apart. No sludge in the oil pan and the engine is clean. It's warranted!:icon_chee I think it's time to trade it for a new one. I have learned my lesson...keep those damn oil receipts!

Thank you for all your feedback.

Interesting how we're supposed to prove oil change intervals while the burden of proof is clearly on them to prove the oil wasn't changed. If it was my car they'd better trot out some proof as to why it's my fault or they'd better get cracking on the repair/replacement. Dealerships try this crap all the time because most people cave to their bullying.

Interesting how we're supposed to prove oil change intervals while the burden of proof is clearly on them to prove the oil wasn't changed. If it was my car they'd better trot out some proof as to why it's my fault or they'd better get cracking on the repair/replacement. Dealerships try this crap all the time because most people cave to their bullying.

I don't need oil change reciepts to tell if it has been done. I had a guy with a spotless clean (inside) Jeep 4.0L that his aftermarket warranty burned him on putting a new engine in because he had no reciepts. I went nuts on the adjuster when he wouldn't admit to me the engine looked as if it was meticiously maintained.

Glad yours worked out.

Congrats, I'm still interested to find out what they determined happened.

They are still saying it was a melted rubber turbo line. I am not sure if the service manager knew what that was as he had to read it off the paper the tech made out. :confused: I didn't talk to the tech directly. A friend of mine said for me to ask to see it, but with my knowledge of cars they could have melted a garden hose with a lighter and I wouldn't know the difference. :lol: Anyway, SOA rep and owner of the dealership apparently got into a screaming match as the owner was mad because SOA would not take his word that the engine and oil pan were clean and required pictures. Everyone at the dealership knows me as "the one with the blown GT", because they all heard about the screaming match.

I traded it yesterday for a new Legacy 2.5i Limited as they didn't have anything else in stock except for Premiums. I am not a patient person and didn't want to wait to order a GT. I was skeptical of being without turbo as I have had turbo for the last seven years (WRX than the GT), but was surprised that the Limited does have some get up and go. I didn't want to keep the GT as I have had nothing but problems with it. Before the turbo and engine problem I had it in about 11 times for warranted items in the past year or so. I think it was made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

Archived