LegacyGT.com

all season tire

Hey guys,

I know this topic might have been up already but I can't find it. Anyways, I live in new england. I'm looking for a good all season tire for my 07 lgt. Should they be z rated? What is a good tire for it? I don't know if I should go with the stock tires again... please let me know...

Thanks

You might try looking around in the tire/wheel forum lower down on the main page.

Conti's, Goodyear, and the Bridgestone Pole positions are the most popular choices for all season. Also some folks running Dunlops and Yokohamas as well.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I have had Conti's on multiple Subarus and have been very happy with them...except for the side-wall stiffness and road noise as they wear down. I'm still planning on installing a set of DWS' when my present set of extreme contacts wear out...

In all honesty, a dedicated summer and winter set-up would probably be in your best interest for a New England winter. Try to find a cheap set of wheels (or your stock wheels if you have aftermarket ones) to mount the winter tires on and put summer performance tires on another set of wheels and swap them back and forth each fall and spring. The difference between an all-season and a snow tire on snow and ice is phenomenal, especially if you are on anything other than plowed city roads.

If you are only interested in finding an all-season, the Conti DWS's that max capacity suggested are probably your best bet. DO NOT BUY RE092's again. They're all season tires that suck in every season.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Sounds like he/she only wanted a all season. Remember I only use snows because of the HP the car has. I have not had snows on my 00' 98'GT's or the 92Civic that took us skiing every winter weekend. All you really need is a good all season, unless your looking for the all out best set up.

In the end it comes down to money.

But yes, don't buy RE92's. They really suck after the first season.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The Nokian WR G2's are great all around and incredible in the winter and great longevity. The con is high price.

I currently own Continental ExtremeContact DWS and happy with them but no experience in winter. I am hoping the $230 savings vs WR G2's is worth it in winter performance and longevity.

Yea I defiantly will not buy the re 92's again. I was thinking go getting another set of steel rims for my lgt. But Idk what the offset is. Like a 16" rim. Will the impreza's wheels work? If not does the conti DWS wheels come in 17" rims?

You must use 17" or larger on a GT Brakes are to big. The Conti dws comes in 17" seems like most of us will use the 225/45-17 oem is 215/45-17

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

michelin pilot exalto a/s. We've used through 4 sets on: my legacy, my dads audi, mom's tribeca, and our old grand cherokee. Nothing but great news. Excellent dry grip, wet grip, and for the mud and snow it can't be beat as far as a performance tire. A little more on the pricey end, but well worth it. We've done 50k on the audi's set and there's still a little tread left, so they last and last too.

I'm looking at the sumitomo HTR A/S P01 for my wife's car. 1st in the Tirerack test in May 2010 (although no snow involved in the test).

FWIW, Sumitomos are very hot over on the Porsche sites as the economical tire of choice right now. Excellent handling and great value . . . way cheaper than other brands, especially the OEM Michelins. I've had good experience with Conti Extreme Contacts, especially in the snow (although on an Audi, not my two Subarus). I'll likely go to the Contis when my Subies need tires.

I've heard great things about the sumitomos as well, but don't have any first hand experience with them. One of my buddies ran nothing but sumitomos on his car and loved them, but I'm not sure if that was only for his summer set up or if it was an all-season.
It's cool; I'm with the band

For what it's worth, Team O'Neil Winter Safe Driving School requires snow tires EXCEPT Conti DWS and Nokian WR / WRG2. They're that good in snow. I've owned the Nokian WR, WRG2, and the winter Hakka R. The all seasons are very snow biased, but they don't feel like total mush in warm weather (as the R's do... don't do that). I've since switched to summer / winter sets.

Sounds like for the money, Conti DWS is the way to go. If I were to go back to all-seasons, I'd probably just do that and save a few bucks.

I have the Gooyear eagle gt and they were better in the snow than I expected for a performance tire. 225/45/17 not great but you can make it through. Gotta love all wheel drive!
Same here, got caught in a CO snow/ice storm with fairly new GT's and was quite impressed.

But yeah could be more about the car LOL.

Archived