LegacyGT.com

ISC Coilovers - How do I go lower??

bboygreddy

Hey guys,

Anyways this thread is not really a review. I originally loved the coilovers because it's a huge jump from the floaty stock suspension until passengers in my car complained how bumpy it really is, aside from that. Don't get me wrong I love them for the price I paid and as a DD I only drive maybe 50 miles a day so it's not bad. How do I go lower?

car. 2008 LGT with stockies at the moment, maybe getting 18s will fill the gap better

My front:

My shaft is twisted all the way into the base (it seems bottomed out, as I can't twist any more, or maybe i'm just weak?), the springs are 200mm long and There's enough preload for them not to wiggle around while not loaded. When I originally installed I preloaded them 5mm and I noticed this made the ride much bouncier. My front is perfect, a little lower would be nice but right now it's right at the point where I have no wheel gap. I think if I lower the spring perches this will lower the ride height however ultimately reduce shock travel

IMG_00268.jpg

The rear:

again springs are barely preloaded, enough so that they don't wiggle not under load, however this one all my perches are at the bottom already? The rear has about 1-1.5" finger gap and I'd like for the rear to sit a bit lower. Any suggestions here? I was thinking about removing the bottom 2 perches

IMG_00267.jpg

any suggestions would help guys. Maybe buy shorter springs? ISC instructions say they springs are suppose to be 180mm and mine were 200mm? I also read a post somewhere, which I can't find anymore but it looks like the newer sets come with shorter bodies (the bottom piece), at least for the rear. But I can't find that comparison pic anymore. Even if it does I don't know how I would get my hands on a set of these

Thanks

Who you brought it from? Find the part # and start cross reference with different years or models??

was bought from IIR awhile ago, the only reason why I want to go lower is becuase i'm picking up a set of advans and if there's any wheel gap I want to lower it a bit to make it not look so weird

Andrew at AJW said you could remove the lower collar all together. That was his suggestion a while back when another member had this issue.

yeah I figure removing the bottom one should be ok, I was going to just remove the bottom bolt, unscrew the bottom piece and remove perches that way.

If you jack up your car and the spring moves and doesnt with weight, your preload is wrong. Coilovers are bouncy when the spring is loose, not tight.

instructions say to set preload 5mm tighter than the length of the spring, ie if it's a 200mm spring, preload to 195mm. I noticed that with that 5mm worth of preload the ride was WAY bouncier, so right now it's "preloaded" just enough for the springs to be seated properly. I can forcefully spin the springs but there is no up and down movement.

Yeah, an easy way to do it would be to turn the top collar by hand until you can turn it anymore, then turn the bottom collar until it touches the top, then turn the top until you can fit the spanner (4mm) in between the two collars. Thats how I set mine and it rides great.

Yeah, an easy way to do it would be to turn the top collar by hand until you can turn it anymore, then turn the bottom collar until it touches the top, then turn the top until you can fit the spanner (4mm) in between the two collars. Thats how I set mine and it rides great.

that's a smart way of measuing 4mm preload :)

i'll double check but it has to be becuase i literally can't turn the shaft anymore. i was thinking about cutting it open haha but that's probably alot more work =\

Thats what I was going to suggest. I dont see that being that hard of a job.

so I contacted ISC, and spoke with Tim. I actually caught him on his way out of the office and he still took care of me. Basically I told him after doing some research, it seemed like a common problems for isc coilovers was that it lowered the rear very little, if at all any for the LGT. He knew about this and I told him I read about how AJW posted the v2 with the shorter body, shaft, and springs and he told me he will be shipping out a new set to me on Monday

This is after buying the coilovers from IIR 3 months ago. I emailed him my invoice from IIR as well as some more information. I need to confirm what he actually means by sending me a "new set" Whether it's a pair of rear coilovers or just the bottom piece. Either way, props to Tim at ISC for the service

IMG_00271.jpg

the rear had about a solid 2 finger gap, after this doing (undid the one bolt from the bottom and unscrew the bottom piece and the 2 perches) I went to about half finger gap, or almost no gap

IMG_00282.jpg

front is "maxed" out with proper preload, only way to go lower is to do negative preload which will affect shock travel and cause it to bottom out or clunk even

Y'all are all doing it wrong.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-wheel-fitment-thread-182819.html

Post #5. No crazy preload, all collars, better ride. Tucking with room to go if you remove the collars/preload/etc. Now raised up about half an inch with the 235's to avoid rubbing on my now crazier daily commute. I'm as low or lower than bboygreddy with room to go.

Archived