LegacyGT.com

Howdy folks.

I am doing Konis in otherwise stock LGT wagon struts on my OBXT, but I had a (probably not original) thought that they could probably be used in OB struts without too much extra effort or moolah.

I know OBs sit higher because the spring perches are higher on the struts. I am under the impression though, that regular Legacy struts have just as much travel, ie. the rod sticks about the same amount. In front, it seems to me that it would just take a 2" (or whatever) cylindrical spacer the diameter of the strut insert with a suitable hole in the middle (or maybe even a stack of washers) and a longer (hardened?) bolt. Drop that in before inserting the cartridge and the front would be good to go. I think there are already aluminum rear spacers available that are an inch or more thick. It seems like something could be rigged up using those with a thinner aluminum spacer and hardened bolts or one of those places could fab up some thicker ones. It might not be possible to get full stock height, but I bet you could get most of it. I assume the rears would only be adjustable off the car unless some kind of extension was fab'ed but that doesn't seem like a big deal.

Anyway, that is just an idea I had that I don't recall reading anywhere but perhaps I did. This would certainly be much cheaper and easier than sourcing the Bilstein stuff from Japan and would certainly be better than stock or KYB replacements.

Doug

Archived