LegacyGT.com

Looking at buying a second 99 SUS

I found this car on craigslist and I am considering purchasing it for my wife. I already own one EXACTLY like it, so I know a lot about the car already, and my wife loves the thing. HOWEVER, the owner claims the head gaskets/timing belt, etc. have been replaced by the previous owner. He cannot produce the reciepts, though.

I need to know if there is any way I can tell if the head gaskets have really been updated or if purchasing this car would be a leap of faith. It has 226k miles on it, so I would assume that the head gaskets would have failed by now, so they must've been replaced, right? Even if they have, are they gonna fail again at about 300k or so?

I've already had to have all that work done on the one I already own at 165k miles, so I don't want to have to do it again. I lucked out and got them done at half price because the dealership sold me a busted car. I know that I won't get the same deal again if i buy this new one.

Here is the ad for reference. I already contacted this guy to go look at it on friday, so It would be nice if I could get some advice by then. THank you all!

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3612925977.html

At a minimum, I'd get the VIN # and get a CarFax done. In addition, does he know who worked on the car? If you knew the garage or mechanic, you might be able to verify the work done on it. You might want to offer to pay for a dealer mechanic (or someone close that you know and trust) to look it over as part of a 'contingent offer' to him (sale contingent on a satisfactory inspection by a qualified mechanic of your choosing). Given the age and miles on it, I would tred carefully.

At a minimum, I'd get the VIN # and get a CarFax done. In addition, does he know who worked on the car? If you knew the garage or mechanic, you might be able to verify the work done on it. You might want to offer to pay for a dealer mechanic (or someone close that you know and trust) to look it over as part of a 'contingent offer' to him (sale contingent on a satisfactory inspection by a qualified mechanic of your choosing). Given the age and miles on it, I would tred carefully.

it's 89 dollars at my favorite shop to get a car thoroughly checked out.

The guy said via text message that the car used to belong to a Female professor who was his neighbor. He believes she bought it new. He has all the reciepts for work done After he bought it. That is all that I know beyond what is stated in the craigslist ad.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3612925977.html

Archived