LegacyGT.com

05-09 LGT Problems?

LegAC_GT

Hey all!

My fiance and i are looking into getting an 05-09 LGT and we were wondering if there were any common problems we should be looking for on certain years or if we should be expecting any major problems along the way. Are there problems in 05-07 vs 08-09 and things like that. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Welcome!

The Legacy has the following problem areas (there are probably more, but itis hard to keep up with them all).

Paint

Tires

Brakes

Brake Lines

Brake booster

Transmission

Clutch

Throw out bearing

Flywheel

Lack of Front locking differential

Center differential

Rear differential (except for the Spec B )

Front Axles

Location of downpipe

Shifter mechanism

Turbo

Pistons

Oiling system

Oil pickup design

AVCS

Tumble valves

Resale value

Poor quality of interior materials

Rattles

Interior space

Radio

HVAC controls and performance

Shocks

Springs

Ride height

Rear roll bar

Front roll bar

Wheel bearings

Horns

Lights

Exhaust

Weak body structure

Valve adjustment

Service manual errors and engineering mistakes

Connecting rods

Seats

Swaybar mounting points on rear subframe

Wiper heating element

Wiper park sensor

Lack of factory HID

Sunroof close requires hitting button twice

No folding rear seat on '05-'06 sedan

Insufficient fuel filtering

I have an 05 LGT Wagon. Early on, there was a recall because the cooling fans ran any time the car was running. Recall involved replacing the ECU and fan relays. Rear wheel bearings have an extended warranty until 100,000 miles. Mine failed at 60,000. Clutch is one of the most difficult of any I've driven, especially in traffic. Current mileage 96,000. Burns no oil. Gets 24 mpg in mixed driving. Did have a strange situation with the radio not working a couple times. Shut car down and resarted...radio worked again. H7 headlamp bulbs burn out frequently on some LGTs. Always start the car with headlamps off and the parking brake set. Fog lamp bulbs are a PITA to change...buy long life quality bulbs.

Rao: thats quite a lot of problems! Lol, i hope they dont all dont happen on all the LGT. The rear differential on the spec b is the r180 correct?

Bluesuby: thanks for the info, changing bulbs are cake since i have access to a lift and lots of tools as im training to be a full fledged mechanic.

Are certain years prefered over others because there are less problems? Or maybe spec b has more shock problems as i know some or all have inverted shocks which are suppose to be better but from my experience are blown more easily.

07+ have folding rear seats in the sedan.

07+ use a VF46 turbo which may or may not be more reliable than 05-06 turbos. There are more failures here for VF40s but those are higher mileage cars and 07+ also recommend a shorter oil change interval. So its unclear if there's a real difference.

08-09 had a batch of bad rod bearings, resulting in several blown engines at <20k miles. Subaru issued a Stop Sale Order and identified a VIN range. Hopefully, these issues have resolved themselves by now.

In stock form, the main thing to watch for is turbo failure. Plan on needing a turbo replacement at ~100k miles (~$1500). Driving on a dying turbo is not recommend and can result in significant engine damage.

RabidWombat: thanks for the info! I originally was planning on getting an 05-07 and modding with some rallitek parts for aftermarket turbos and intercooler but i just noticed that they pulled it off their website. Any idea where I would be able to find an alternative? Seems like there isnt too much offered for the LGT anymore. I remember i used to see them all the time when i was looking for parts for my svx and impreza.

Read in the forums here. That are still alot of god people to buy aftermarket from. I like AZPinstalls.com in NJ. They offer a lot of free help here on the forum and have great prices and can get anything you want.

The best set up would be a 07-09 Spec B or a 05 wagon 5mt with the 6mt swap then add mods from there.

Learn how to check the oil and top it off every time you check it. I drive the 05 to work, open the hood, pull the dip stick 2" close the hood. 8 hours come out and check the oil. It seems to be the only time I get a true reading.

All last weekend at home it showed at the low line. I topped it off last Thursday at work. I put in 1/3 qt Sunday, Monday after work, it was over full.

Mine uses oil so I check it twice a week. Car runs great, but I abused it early on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just my opinion, but i would avoid the 05-06 and stick with the 07-09. Personally I like the headlight/taillight changes of the 08-09 so I would be looking at those.

GF and I like the seat heater on/off better in the 05. Do all the 07-09's have that useless S# knob on the consul or just Spec B's ?

The radio sounds better in the 05 then my Spec, but I like the serius XM radio in the Spec.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Max capacity: a 6mt sounds awesome but i would probably do that do an lgt sedan later on down the road if thats even possible. Is it a direct swap or will driveshaft need to custom fabricated? Or would the whole drivetrain from an sti fit directly?

I think the s:drive are lgt+spec b on 07+ if i did my research correctly. I usually get my oem specs for subies off of cars101.com

Rock2534: i actually prefer the tail lights on the 05-06 where thers more red then chrome. Are the tail laights interchangeable between the years?

I think the people in this thread make it sound worse than it really is. There are turbo failures with the VF40 and the throw out bearing for the clutch can go without warning or very little warning. But despite the issues the cars are solid and very fun to drive. While the after market isnt huge, your best bet is to stick with quality parts.

When looking for a car always look for a well maintained one. Subarus are finiky when it comes to oil levels and condition etc. So one that was better cared for will be the better buy. If you have specific questions or need parts etc feel free to PM us.

- Jake

Welcome!

The Legacy has the following problem areas (there are probably more, but itis hard to keep up with them all).

Paint

Tires

Brakes

Brake Lines

Brake booster

Transmission

Clutch

Throw out bearing

Flywheel

Lack of Front locking differential

Center differential

Rear differential (except for the Spec B )

Front Axles

Location of downpipe

Shifter mechanism

Turbo

Pistons

Oiling system

Oil pickup design

AVCS

Tumble valves

Resale value

Poor quality of interior materials

Rattles

Interior space

Radio

HVAC controls and performance

Shocks

Springs

Ride height

Rear roll bar

Front roll bar

Wheel bearings

Horns

Lights

Exhaust

Weak body structure

Valve adjustment

Service manual errors and engineering mistakes

Connecting rods

Seats

Swaybar mounting points on rear subframe

Wiper heating element

Wiper park sensor

Lack of factory HID

Sunroof close requires hitting button twice

No folding rear seat on '05-'06 sedan

Insufficient fuel filtering

^ minor quibbles, lol.

Look for an adult owned specimen and you'll be fine;

most likely :)

Our site is AZPInstalls.com We really just have the basics on the site for reference. Fredbeansparts.com has a pretty good selection of stuff and if you need to just reference something then opposedforces.com has exploded views of everything with part numbers.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

OP, remember if you want something aftermarket, check with AZPinstalls first. They can get just about anything you want. If you don't see it on thier site, PM or email them and ask about it.

Forgot to mention the Subaru Mastercard which gets you 3% rewards on parts and service. The dealer maintenance items done over the years have been "free": spark plug installation, new LCA bushings (yes add those to the problem list, good for maybe 70,000 miles) and new Koni struts.

GF and I like the seat heater on/off better in the 05. Do all the 07-09's have that useless S# knob on the consul or just Spec B's ?

The radio sounds better in the 05 then my Spec, but I like the serius XM radio in the Spec.

Yea, I believe all have the S# knob on the console and the button on the steering wheel.

I can't remember the last time I used S# now that I think about it. Before going stage-2, I used S# all the time. Now, I just leave it in S as default.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There's probably turbo issues with the VF40 if you're one of those that beat the ass out of your car. Personally, I don't use my LGT to race with on daily basis nor do i go looking for trouble on the road. I've got almost 59,000 miles on my '07 LGT (auto) and no turbo issues yet. Only thing I've had wrong with the car so far is a battery that went bad and caused a mess of electronic issues. She runs like a champ now!

Im not gonna lie. Im still relatively young and quite a spirited driver. Especially since my cars have all been gimp cars with some slow acceleration. My svx has a semi shot tranny ready to give at any moment and my 2008 impreza 2.5i is a 4eat which blows lol

Archived