LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake - removed it today, after 2+ years of it. Now, it's got more torque.

I removed my SPT Intake today, after using it for the past 2+ years. Now, the car is very very quiet - no engine or exhaust note, no sloppy sucking sounds from intake, no more turbo or blow off sounds - just silence and tire noise.

One thing I noticed tonight was I now have more torque. It pulls hard - very hard, giving me a very firm push back into my seat. Not sure if it is accelerating the same or quicker, but it sure as hell has a lot more torque.

Disappointed now that I got the Intake instead of the exhaust. I do miss the turbo sounds, but I can't believe I was missing out on all that torque. I did a lot of driving this evening, and noticed I am now getting less gas mileage with the stock intake. I definitely think I was getting better mileage out of the SPT Intake. Another thing I noticed is that my LGT is idling very smooth now, there is no more slight vibration in the car/steering wheel when the car is idling in park.

So, if you are looking for sound - the SPT Intake might be for you. Other than sound, there is no other reason, except for maybe fuel mileage, to recommend the intake.

I hope that helps someone from these boards out if they are deciding to get an intake.

Sometimes i wish i could put my stock intake back onto my car, but having a FMIC i cant. At this point it would be a cascade of things that needs to be changed to just go back to stock intake...I.e. Change my intercooler set up, change my foglight set up in my JDM bumper(otherwise there would be gaping holes) then change my intake then change my AP custom tuning map. No point, if only there was a "silencer" for an intake.

Personally, I'm going with an AVO dry panel filter. Supposedly gives you the benefit of a louder intake noise (which I like for rev-matching and engine feel purposes) with maybe a slight decrease in air-flow resistance in the stock intake. Plus it's reusuable and cheap.

Joe

P.s. Godwhomismike - Perhaps the SPT intake simply heatsoaked you more, and you are feeling the effects of a cooler intake charge? From what I understand, the SPT intake basically draws air from the back of the engine bay, not exactly a cool-air place.

Personally, I'm going with an AVO dry panel filter. Supposedly gives you the benefit of a louder intake noise (which I like for rev-matching and engine feel purposes) with maybe a slight decrease in air-flow resistance in the stock intake. Plus it's reusuable and cheap.

It definitely gives you more sound. I attribute most of my car's "spaceship" sound to the AVO drop-in I have.

Joe

P.s. Godwhomismike - Perhaps the SPT intake simply heatsoaked you more, and you are feeling the effects of a cooler intake charge? From what I understand, the SPT intake basically draws air from the back of the engine bay, not exactly a cool-air place.

I had the heat shield too. I guess it wasn't overly effective.

i did the avo, joe. it's nice but not really going to help all that much for revmatching or engine feel purposes, i'm afraid.

you're goign to want a catback for that:)

car for sale. PM me!

SPT sucks air from the front of the engine bay, not the back. I am stage 1 with avo panel filter, you really can only hear more engine/turbo noises when you drive with the windows up and radio off (hasn't happened for me in months). I do have the silencer in, maybe removing that lets you hear more feedback in all driving conditions (windows down, etc.)

That's fine, it's a re-usable engine air filter. I'll get it just for that.

If I want a cat-back sound, I'll go hog-zaust. Otherwise, a de-catted DP (probably just one cat) is the only exhaust mod I see in my future :)

Joe

SPT sucks air from the front of the engine bay, not the back. I am stage 1 with avo panel filter, you really can only hear more engine/turbo noises when you drive with the windows up and radio off (hasn't happened for me in months). I do have the silencer in, maybe removing that lets you hear more feedback in all driving conditions (windows down, etc.)

The sound will definitely change if you pull that silencer out. It's much more apparent. Especially spool up. I can't speak to BOV operation, as I'm running a GFB.

The OP in this thread motivated me to put my stock airbox back on, too.

This was no small thing for me, as I'm an all-thumbs sort of under-the-hood mechanic. (For example: when I was done, the car wouldn't start, providing me with my week's worth of adrenalin all at once. I figured out pretty quickly that I needed to reconnect the battery, but it was panic city there for a minute.)

All-in-all, it was much easier than I thought it would be, and that Giant Sucking Sound is, of course, blessedly gone. There's still the Boxer grumble, considerably more enhanced than in my wife's Outback XT; and that's just fine.

I can't speak to the torque thing, as I didn't drive it enough to get a real feel. But there are no weird lights showing, and it sounds happy. Thanks to Mike for the suggestion!

Now I'll have to resist the siren call of the AccessPort...;) HPH

PS: If anyone wants a slightly used SPT intake (from an 08 LGT.B, about 3K miles of "used"), pipe up. It's got the heat shield, too.

Edited by DrCloud

• 8 years later...

Joe

Sorry for a "late question", but i'm still new to the Subie world......(well, post 1980....my dad's car was a 1980 GL wagon...)

anyway, is the AVO drop in the same or better than a K&N drop in?

• 5 years later...
I got a spt intake for my 2008 legacy gt I ordered the one for the 02-07 WRX on accident. I still tried to run it, there's no issues so far I was wondering if anyone else has the same thing I just rotated it down into the bumper and it doesn't seem to upset the MAF I'm just worried it might break something.