LegacyGT.com

Bad noise on below freezing cold starts.

The past couple weeks have been below freezing every morning and when I start my 2005 Legacy GT I find that the last 1-2 seconds of the engine turning over ends with a loud almost grinding noise coming from the engine. I've recorded this noise to give a better description of the issue.

I checked around on the forum and found one thread with a similar issue but I've also noticed my engine loudly idling on stops with the cold weather as well so I'm unsure if it's the same thing or not.

Go to this youtube link to listen to the noise:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpSjWWgsy0]YouTube[/ame]

It is probably your starter. When it is very cold, an older Subaru starter, for some reason, does not dis-engage as quickly as it should. All three of my Subaru vehicles have done this in the winter when it is very cold. A new starter would probably take care of the problem, but is probably not necessary.

Mine makes the exact same noise whenever its cold enough to frost my glass. So I had a block heater installed last week not so much for the noise but for my future e-85 conv and it just so happens that the block heater has seemed to fix the noise.

Since this thread is about noises on cold starts I figured I'd go ahead and ask:

My car will make a rough idle sound when it's cold (below freezing). It seems to go away for a second when putting the car in first gear and starting to drive and then will come back until the car is warmed up. Is that a normal?

does it sound like this? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/weird-winter-noise-151428.html 4th post which is mine with a video...

Since this thread is about noises on cold starts I figured I'd go ahead and ask:

My car will make a rough idle sound when it's cold (below freezing). It seems to go away for a second when putting the car in first gear and starting to drive and then will come back until the car is warmed up. Is that a normal?

Much like many other members I also have this problem, after doing some research I have found it to not be a Subaru specific problem. I ran across this website while searching for a solution... http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84940

I have not however had time to fix the issue, so I can't say if it will work for us or not.

Mine has started doing the same

Thing lately. I've been trying to get a video of it, did it yesterday and my phone didn't record, didn't do it when leaving work even though it had been parked for 10 hours while I was at work.

I did a little search yesterday too and confirmed it's a Subaru thing and cleaning/greasing may work but if not a new starter might be in order. If it goes too long one person said they had to get a new flywheel as well. Sorry no links as I was at work.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I thought I said, mine has been doing this on/off for years. I did put in a Spec LWFW back about 72,000 miles. So may be I'm a little ahead on the flywheel thing. But I have no plans to do anything about the noise.

If it happened all the time...then I'd do something about it. Today it was 9F the noise didn't happen.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
My 2005 LGT auto started doing this on Christmas morning when it was around 32F (Merry Christmas to me!). That was the only time it happened until today when it was just above freezing. It's supposed to be cold again tomorrow morning, so I'll see if it does it then.

My 2005 LGT auto started doing this on Christmas morning when it was around 32F (Merry Christmas to me!). That was the only time it happened until today when it was just above freezing. It's supposed to be cold again tomorrow morning, so I'll see if it does it then.

Didn't happen when I started the car this morning, and it was 31F outside. The car had been sitting there about 12 hours, if that makes any difference.

Archived