LegacyGT.com

Spring swap walkthrough - Tein H-Tech's

Pray?

LOL that could help, but in the mean time you could try heat and some hammer blows on the bolt itself. I've made either/both work a few times in the past. If that doesn't work, go back to the praying! :confused:

Best of luck!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Im attempting to install s-techs this weekend. I got the fronts on no problem, but the rear lower nut I just cant get off I tried breaker bar with a jack and also rented a impact gun still no luck on either side. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Just put my H-techs on today.

Anyone have an issue with rubbing prior to their alignment? I seem to have a bit of a rubbing issue on the front passenger side if I crank my wheel all the way to the left. Stock wheels with RE92's..... and again no alignment just yet.

I attempted a spring swap over the weekend...

Thanks for the excellent write-up! I'm a wrench n00b, and wouldn't have attempted it without this thread.

The rears were no problem for me, but when I got the the fronts, I couldn't compress the springs enough to get them off. I'm using a borrowed (from the auto parts store) MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor, and I can only get it to grab on the middle 2 coils of the spring, and it runs out of "squeeze" before the pressure's off the top hat. Should I just get another set like this and grab a 3rd coil once the first pair of spring compressors have made that possible, or is there a type of compressor that would work better, or am I doing something wrong? Here's what I was using:

http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/strut%20compressors/ATD-3054.jpg

The front's are tough....

To get them off... cock the spring compressors and try to grab as many coils as possible. Then position the strut in a vice, etc. so that the top hat is pointing up.

Slowly unscrew the nut from the strut shaft and stop when the threads are no longer visable. Re-check the tension on the top hat. At this point, you should be able to pull down on the top hat and see it move away from the nut. If this is the case... then continue removing the nut all the way. The spring may "pop" a bit... but the compressors won't let it fly off, etc.

When you put the new H-techs in... you won't even need a compressor. Just have a buddy pull down on the top hat while you start the nut on the shaft. ;)

I used the same spring compressors from Autozone. Grabbing two coils on each side and compressing them as much as I could seemed to work well. Just be slow with that nut. There will be a little bit of pressure left, but not enough to be concerned with.

On a side note, after settling a little bit last night, my rubbing issue seems to be gone. Still need to wait a few days before I get it in for an alignment.

I don't subscribe to the thought that lowering springs (1" drop or less) wear out struts significantly faster than stock springs.

Not sure what the lifespan is... as it depends on the usage (rough roads, off road, potholes, etc)..... but I've got 88K miles on my stock struts....

Thanks again, guys. I borrowed another set of strut spring compressors from the auto parts store, and with a third compressor grabbing, I was able to get the fronts done easily. iON springs are installed, things look even, no odd noises, etc. I couldn't have done it without the walkthrough.