LegacyGT.com

4th gen LGT for daily driver long commute

My story: I am currently driving 60 miles/day. I bought my 2011 2.5i new. It has 92k miles and will be paid off this year. Looking forward to not having a car loan! It's been a good car. Slow and boring, but reliable and comfortable. Not to mention 30+mpg avg. I recently started experiencing jerkiness in the CVT that could lead to expensive repairs from what I'm reading. Not sure how much longer that is going to last. And it's about due for a timing belt service. Here's the worst part, the part that gets us all...I've had the bug to get something sportier. Ran across this 07 LGT.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/il-2007-legacy-gt-limited-w-nav-245483.html

108k miles may be a deal breaker. Probably not the best idea for a daily driver given the # of miles I rack up. Not to mention much worse gas mileage than my 2.5i. But I am more concerned about the reliability and longevity. The 07 seems extremely well cared for and maintained. But who knows what could go wrong. I have been doing some reading on the 4th gen LGT's but am definitely still a noob. Thoughts?

His stg2 mods are tasteful with quality parts, and will come with stock back-ups, which is always nice as a "just-in-case". Running a custom Stg2 tune with regular OCI and 93oct, and maintenance (especially 90k/timing belt) appears up to date. The only thing I don't see is a mention of an aftermarket turbo oil line (eg, IP&T) or removal/cleaning of banjo bolt filters. Would request records of all services, Carfax/Autocheck, and independent inspection(s) with compression and leak-down tests to verify the health of the turbo. Any dyno plots to go along with that Stg2 tune (ie, whp/wtq + target boost)?

I used to commute 60-70 miles/day in a Stg2 LGT for ~40k miles, and it performed flawlessly. As long as you stay on point with regular maintenance, and perhaps take it upon yourself to do some preventative mods, the car will be reliable. Seems like this owner has taken care of his car, but I drive an MT, so anyone with an AT can probably shed additional light.

With a proper tune you can get good mpg.

My 05 GT wagon gets 24+mpg on my 65 mile DD.

That car has been off the OEM MAP for a while. That's a good thing. It's the stock tune that causes problems.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Looks like you'd be burning around 13 extra gallons a month.. Not sure what that costs in the US right now, but factor it in :)

I definitely agree with this. Even getting good mileage on these cars you're still going to burn significantly more on your commute than with your 2011 and it will be premium instead of regular.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage on the car. It's going to be as reliable as the amount of time you're willing to put in maintaining it. Gas is currently pretty cheap here, might as well have some fun.

I am going to keep the 2.5i for now. I am keeping an eye out for good deal on a lower mileage Legacy and will monitor my CVT. Thanks for everyone's input and advice. The Subaru community never fails to impress me!

Ok so I drive a 110 mile per day round trip commute. I have two cars for it and my 2005 LGT with 103k is one of them. It's great and you'll love the extra power which makes cruising at speed feel effortless. The mainance isn't too bad considering the amount of driving.

Please I'm just gonna say it, that dudes LGT looks dope, straight up dope. It's subaru AF. The only downside is that it's price accordingly.

I drive around 75 miles a day 3-4x per week and around 30 miles the remaining days. I've been doing this drive with all turbo Subarus. Wirh mixed highway/city driving I got: (pure highway is always better mpg)

2014 FXT got the best mileage at around 26

2014 WRX got 24

And my current 05 OBXT got 22 over the last 2 fill ups.

I would expect the LGT to fit somewhere in between the WRX and OBXT based on gearing.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I had a '06 LGT which I daily drove. For about a year I did a 130 mile round trip. This trip had me crawling through traffic between 2-6 hours in traffic daily. Two hours on a good day with zero traffic. 6 hours on the worst days with traffic from hell both ways. I averaged a 3-4 hours regularly.

If I had an automatic, would have probably kept. Dealing with 3-4 hours of traffic a day in a manual was not fun.

From a reliability and longevity perspective-- I had no problems with my '06. I did all general maintenance: oil, brakes, belts, tires, etc. The car spent it's life after 20k at Stage 2+ on the stock motor/internals.

I traded my 08 2.5i for a 1-owner 08 gt with 50k miles...it still ran into costly issues. But some get lucky, or get smart early on by religiously reading these forums ;)

Just be sure to have $3-5 grand set aside just in case something goes wrong.

If I could go back, I would've kept my paid-off 2.5i and bought a turbo subie as my secondary to "scrath the itch"

My story: I am currently driving 60 miles/day. I bought my 2011 2.5i new. It has 92k miles and will be paid off this year. Looking forward to not having a car loan! It's been a good car. Slow and boring, but reliable and comfortable. Not to mention 30+mpg avg. I recently started experiencing jerkiness in the CVT that could lead to expensive repairs from what I'm reading. Not sure how much longer that is going to last. And it's about due for a timing belt service. Here's the worst part, the part that gets us all...I've had the bug to get something sportier. Ran across this 07 LGT.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/il-2007-legacy-gt-limited-w-nav-245483.html

108k miles may be a deal breaker. Probably not the best idea for a daily driver given the # of miles I rack up. Not to mention much worse gas mileage than my 2.5i. But I am more concerned about the reliability and longevity. The 07 seems extremely well cared for and maintained. But who knows what could go wrong. I have been doing some reading on the 4th gen LGT's but am definitely still a noob. Thoughts?

I have an 08LGT(hence the screen name) bought used. I am getting about 28mpg in Granny mode on a 38 mile commute(1 way) and like 26.2 if I rush it. Not the 30 you had but...to be able to run with the big dogs is priceless..#sleeper

when life closes a door...open it, that's how doors work

I definitely agree with this. Even getting good mileage on these cars you're still going to burn significantly more on your commute than with your 2011 and it will be premium instead of regular.

If its just mpg...get a Prius

when life closes a door...open it, that's how doors work

Archived