LegacyGT.com

My Russian Neighbor...

So I am at work, and my feet were itching the whole day to go run some errands. That being a mere excuse to drive my recently acquired Subaroooo. So I go outside, light one up, proceed to walk towards the car. I notice the neighbor's car is parked quite close to my rear bumper. I'm always suspicious of such behavior, so I went to check out my rear bumper... what do ya know. I right away noticed two decently sized scratches. Pulled out my Sony Ericsson K790i phone to document the evidence.

http://www.siewior.com/voytech/DSC01105a.jpg

Following the numerous "OH **** THIS ****"'s, I got closer to see if any of my paint was still on his car (a '06 Civic). Upon closer inspection, I saw this:

http://www.siewior.com/voytech/DSC01107a.jpg

Some plastic + paint from my bumper was still in the screw.

I finished the smoke, pondering on my course of action. I thought to myself: "Be a nice guy and go knock on their door, ask if they noticed that they bumped your car and figure out a way to resolve the issue". So I did. Rang the bell. Dog starts barking. Hear some voices upstairs. Someone peeks from the window. A minutes passes. Rang the bell again. Dog still barking. No one came to the door. Wow. Ignorant SOB's.

So I go back to the car and pull out my phone again. I launch Google Maps™ and punch in my work's zip. I then proceed to look for POLICE. 5 seconds later the local police is mapped. Clicked on the number and heard the tone.

Woman: "Ridgefield Park Police, How may I assist you?"

Me: "Yes, can you send out a unit to **** Street? Someone just damaged my bumper."

Woman: "Is the other car still there?"

Me: "Yes it is."

Woman: "Ok, I'm dispatching a unit, they should be there in a few minutes."

Literally a minute later they show up. I get out of the car.

Me: "Sorry for bothering you with this nuisance officers, but I tried to resolve this in the most civil way possible - by knocking on their door. They ignored me, so that's why you're here."

LEO1: "No problem. What happened here?"

Me: "My neighbor decided to park on my rear bumper and then moved the car back a foot".

LEO2: "How do you know it was him?"

Me: "Look at his license plate screws."

LEO1: "Ok, let me have your L/I/R please."

LEO2: "Just got the car?"

Me: "Yes, in December"

LEO2: "That's a sweet looking wagon!"

Me: [Chuckles] "I like to think so!"

So the conversation ended by one of them telling me that they dealt with this family in the past and they're "not the nicest people to deal with". Great. I took the work van instead to run the errands and as I was leaving I saw the LEO's ring the bell. They stood there for a good minute before someone opened the door. I made a loop around the block and came out at the main street to see them showing the owner of the civic the problem he had just brought onto himself.

Here's what I'm going to do now. Chime in if you have any other suggestions.

I will pick up the police report on Friday. Make a copy of it and put it in an envelope along with my contact information and a note saying that if they would like to cover the cost of the repair in cash, they're more than welcome to call me BY THE END OF THE WEEKEND. I will then put it in their mailbox.

If there is no call, Monday I will proceed to get this resolved via their insurance company.

That is the end of my little rant. Thank You all for reading.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also likely committed a hit and run per yoru states laws.

Thats probably a full misdemeanor with possible jail time. See if it is and swear out a complaint. Talk to local prosecutor and see if they're willing to set up a deal where something like 30 days hangs over thier head if they don't pay up.

Oh and your neighbors sound like tools.

Don't do it, just go through the insurance and let them deal with the bastards. The last thing you want to do is antagonize them and get some nice new deep pinstripes courtesy of a key.

Unless of course you want to watch your car all the time ;)

Don't do it, just go through the insurance and let them deal with the bastards. The last thing you want to do is antagonize them and get some nice new deep pinstripes courtesy of a key.

Unless of course you want to watch your car all the time ;)

See, the whole reason of me even giving them a second chance to do this off the record is that I don't want them to think that I'm out to get more money than it's worth.

Very good you pursue this, I hate bastards who do not care for other's property, cars in particular.

One thing though: "Russian" in the title is uncalled for and is fascist. There are asshats in every ethnicity. I for one, had a similar story with an American.

Very good you pursue this, I hate bastards who do not care for other's property, cars in particular.

One thing though: "Russian" in the title is uncalled for and is fascist. There are asshats in every ethnicity. I for one, had a similar story with an American.

Yes, the "russian" part of the title was uncalled for. I guess my elevated stress level has shown its bad side. Sorry to anyone who got offended.

Uncalled for, yes -- I agree. Fascist? No. Not even close.

fascism \fasc"ism\ (f[a^]sh"[i^]z'm) n.

1. a political theory advocating an authoritarian

hierarchical government; -- opposed to democracy and

liberalism.

[WordNet 1.5]

2. an authoritarian system of government under absolute

control of a single dictator, allowing no political

opposition, forcibly suppressing dissent, and rigidly

controlling most industrial and economic activities. Such

regimes usually try to achieve popularity by a strongly

nationalistic appeal, often mixed with racism.

[PJC]

3. Specifically, the Fascist movement led by Benito Mussolini

in Italy from 1922 to 1943.

[PJC]

4. broadly, a tendency toward or support of a strongly

authoritarian or dictatorial control of government or

other organizations; -- often used pejoratively in this

sense.

[PJC]

+1.

Good for you for handling it the way you did. They will end up paying one way or another, whether its through insurance, or settling with cash.

But there is no need to remark on the fact that he's Russian. Who cares what he is? Unless he's a dirty Commie bastard, and then it's OK.

It wouldn't have mattered one way or another if he said, my Russian neighbor, my american neighbor, my mexican neighbor, or my Polynesian neighbor. Identifying that aspect doesn't necessarily mean you're racial profiling. What if the person had been Canadian? Would it be inappropriate to say, My Canadian Neighbor? No. And neither is this inappropriate, IMHO. He didn't use any slang terms, like commie as gireland said, so I think this whole political correctness thing is a little overblown in this case. Voytech, you're obviously right to be angry, and I don't think you're wrong to call him a Russian, since he's Russian. It is what it is.

Good for you and your CSI work, hopefully your neighbor will have to pay without getting the courts involved any further.

The OP didn't say anything Derogotory about Russians, he simply stated My Russian Neighbor in his title possibly for attention purposes I'm assuming, worked on me... :redface: I think people are being way too sensitive to the OP providing detail on what nationality his neighbor is, its just part of the story.

Uncalled for, yes -- I agree. Fascist? No. Not even close.

Agreed, that was a strech. Derogatory, biased or prejudiced. ;) Whatever....

Important part: "I mean, don't **** with another man's vehicle." :)

good job i think your totally handling it right. my buddy handled it wrong, we kicked these kids out of his party at his house, they thought they would be cool and burn out across the lawn, and got stuck in the rainy weather in his yard, he kicked out their tail lights, mirrors, broke a window, kicked in the quarter pannels, then we had to tow them out ourselves with a pickup truck, so we attached the tow hook to the trunk latch loop and ripped that off, followed by the front bumper, then we put it on the axle and got it out. all on an almost new Volvo. then the kid lied and told his parents they hadnt done anything wrong and called the police. my buddy should have just called 911 and gotten the two arrested

Archived