LegacyGT.com

My Dirty Cheap 03 Legacy L Awesome Deal of the Century

aloha people, im dave from indiana and i just got my 1st subaru with this little gem. i found her as a dealer trade-in on c-list. figured i would start me a thread so if/when a problem arises i can get solid advise from experienced owners.

i got her for only 2 large and shes only got 113k. everything works just fine and she runs and drives great. but, (theres always a "but" when getting a cheap car) she was absolutely filthy dirty from front to back, the dealer just parked her on the back row and put up her up for sale. "but" she ran so well and drove so smooth and straight i bought her. after 10 hrs of interior cleaning, some new seat covers, and a trip to the carwash she looks pretty dang good now.

the body has a couple scuffs and dents on both front corners (no big deal), "but" there are surface scratches all along both sides of the car. they didnt make it into the paint but they are everywhere. looks like some idiot keyed the crap out of it but didnt know how deep to go to get all the way through the clearcoat. because of the color you cant see em real well but they are there.

so heres where im at.

car, 2 grand

seat covers, 50 bucks

can of spray paint for scuffs, 30 bucks (terrific match)

bottle of goo-gone, 6 bucks (used about every drop too)

real nice 18 spoke spare wheel and tire from junk yard, 100 bucks

2 brake lights and wipers, 40 bucks

used haynes repair manual, 15 bucks

to do list,

windows tinted, quoted 160 bucks ... seems reasonable enough

new battery and cable ends, 100 bucks ... dont really need em but dont want surprised at the wrong time.

some type of stereo upgrade, this stock system works, but thats the only good thing i can say about it. aint got a quote yet, will be the last thing i get.

get quote from pro-buffer to polish out the scratches ???

after the tint and battery (in a week or two) i should be at around $2500, so what do you think, Deal? or No Deal?

sub3.jpg.6b46dc6a2e21dba56f5c31bd2e83eee1.jpg

sub1.jpg.d0081baad8f7cebed6414fca95b1cf19.jpg

sub2.jpg.cae16560ed3d6692f3fd568defa29137.jpg

Excellent deal! Picked mine up for 5k from an old Marine who put 50k on it before going to the nursing home

thx for the vote Soup :) ,and 5k for a 50k is beyond sweet, great find man.

pics of my $50 covers (ebay) not too shabby for the price

sub7.thumb.jpg.9ea0dfed67705d5dc2617fc6de463a14.jpg

pic of my nasty scuff spray paint job / / / scratches (a few of 200 or so)

sub11.thumb.jpg.ec732bf3b8370548bac7550645c71caf.jpg

sub6.thumb.jpg.cbc0f1738ff61f26c27ec64cb5cb550f.jpg

sub10.thumb.jpg.836771c587c91d8d1b6e8ea5035cfcdf.jpg

2K? Great deal. I recently got my first subie, and first car for 5300 with 115mi. Mint body though. Mines a GT. Wish I had pictures available to show ya. I'll get her washed soon and post them!

hi k, ya got her for 2k and that even included the taxes, just had to slap on some insurance, a plate, and fill up the tank. i did go to the body shop and got some bad news. while most of the scratches can be sanded and buffed out there are some that need fixed beyond the clear coat (aka paint job). he also told me that if i got the car prepped for him to mask off and paint that it wouldnt be a whole lot more than if he was to just fix all the scratches. so i guess all of sudden i dont need just 2 new fenders, i need a bunch of sandpaper too lol.

Hey man kbb is around 6300 in good condition I believe. If you can manage under that I say you got a good deal on that sucker

not sure how far i want to go with this? 1/2 of me wants to spend a few bucks, but the other 1/2 says just drive it like it is :confused: im sure ill end up spending something, just not sure how far i want (need) to go?

after my 1st 1000 miles review:

001.thumb.jpg.bbb1900e35685a2ea994d894de415482.jpg

love my beat up / scratched up leggy. the motor/tranny is still running perfect, no weird noises, vibrations. no leaks of any kind, all fluids still look great and have held perfect levels. still drives straight as an arrow with very tight steering and quick braking.

i really have only 1 complaint: the frickin seat just doesnt go back near far enough. other than that im very pleased with my 1st subaru

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for hittin up my thread and a double thanks for the compliments guys, and your right about doin stuff kiyo

update: so i head down south to french lick to play some golf and all goes well, but when i was coming home my right front broke a belt, picked up a slight vibration and a tiny pull to the right. wasnt nothing serious but man by the time i got home that tire was howlin at the moon. went to wally world and got 4 new all seasons and wow what a difference. didnt get the greatest set but the car really seems to like em.

new cheap tires, blah blah blah, but ...

does anyone know what the actual part name is of this missing trim piece? i tried google searches for legacy trim piece but cant never find this piece. thx

001.thumb.jpg.f17de2540e04a1d2ca257306ea47022f.jpg

big-time thanks for the link zues, very much appreciated.

ok btd, you got my attention, ive read a few horror stories about those issues, so whats a round figure one would expect to pay to have said work done, and what else would you (or any experienced owner) recommend doing while the engine is pulled.

Timing belt and head gaskets...that's what I'd do asap if I wanted to keep the car. In tip top running shape.

Neglect either of those...and the car becomes disposable real quick!

took car to the subaru dealership, was test driven and given thorough inspection. car (engine / tranny) was given a very nice report but 1 soon to be major issue was noticed, mechanic says although its not in terrible shape the left rear wheel bearing will eventually need replaced. when the car turned to the right a friction noise was heard, i never noticed it till he said something, but if your alone away from traffic and over 50 mph and listen real hard you can hear it, barely but it is there.

quoted: head job / timing / differential + wheel bearing = $ 2750.00

job includes a bunch of small stuff too, new plugs,wires,fluids,filters, ect ect.

so in roughly 2 weeks she will be going away for 3 days, was saving up for a paint job but its just going to have to wait till i can re-save.

Archived