LegacyGT.com

What's this noise?

I've heard this noise once before.. I thought it was a belt because I had put on new acc. belts. Tightened them up and then it went away.

I didn't drive the car on Sunday so it sat for a whole day, but this morning, it made this noise while starting.

http://www.jay-d.com/brooklyn/noise.mp4 (33mb)

It only happens when it's cold.. as soon as I got to work (30 minutes later), turned the car off then back on again.. the noise is gone. It never happens when it's hot outside, but since it's getting colder, it looks like it's come back.

I've never heard a noise like this, doesn't sound like a belt to me anymore.. maybe my starter? :redface:

When I read your post, I knew before even listening to the clip that it'd be the same as mine. Now that I've looked at your video, I can confirm that my car does this too, same exact behavior. Weather's been cool as of late and the noise is back. I've been ignoring it, car's been working fine for the last 2 years since it's been doing this on and off. :)

sounds like your starter, you're holding the key in a too long when you start it. I'm already use to it so i let go of the key the second the engine starts to turn over. My gf still cant figure out how to turn the key and kills me to hear my car make that noise. so she hardly uses it now.

sounds like your starter, you're holding the key in a too long when you start it. I'm already use to it so i let go of the key the second the engine starts to turn over. My gf still cant figure out how to turn the key and kills me to hear my car make that noise. so she hardly uses it now.

Definitely not holding my key in! It's making that noise when I've already released the key.

It only does it when it's cold, not warmed up. I held the key in once about 8 years ago and never again once I heard that noise!

But, it does sound like maybe the starter isn't releasing because it's cold.. will a starter from a 99 Legacy GT fit? I have a rebuilt one already that I could use if it's the same!

When I read your post, I knew before even listening to the clip that it'd be the same as mine. Now that I've looked at your video, I can confirm that my car does this too, same exact behavior. Weather's been cool as of late and the noise is back. I've been ignoring it, car's been working fine for the last 2 years since it's been doing this on and off. :)

I'm starting to think it's the starter.. I'm going to replace mine and I'll let you know if that fixes it !

Definitely not holding my key in! It's making that noise when I've already released the key.

It only does it when it's cold, not warmed up. I held the key in once about 8 years ago and never again once I heard that noise!

But, it does sound like maybe the starter isn't releasing because it's cold.. will a starter from a 99 Legacy GT fit? I have a rebuilt one already that I could use if it's the same!

I'm starting to think it's the starter.. I'm going to replace mine and I'll let you know if that fixes it !

well its the same basic idea as holding in the key! lol let us know!

Check the tension on the belts again. New belts tend to loosen up once they get warm requiring you to tighten them up again. If it only does it when cold and only started after you changed the belts, Id bet thats the problem.

Make sure you use a belt tension tool. You dont want to overtighten them.

MAP

New guy's.

I haven't heard the video yet. If the noise happens after you return the key to run it's the starter hanging up. These cars do that when it cold, it's well documented on there.

Mine did it for years before it began to do it every time during winter.

You can replace the starter or may be get lucky and just grease the shaft the gear slides on.

There is even a link in here to buy the parts to rebuild it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
Had a similar issue with mine, turned out to be the idler bearing. Seemed it didn't like to rotate when cold, but once it warmed up... no complaints (noise). The colder the weather, the longer it lasted. Took a while to figure out. Check the idler without the belt on and see if it is a little stiff or has any play.

• 2 weeks later...

Hah! Mine has been doing this for a couple years (ONLY on cold mornings). I have suspected idler pulley, didn't think about he starter (never replaced).

I just decided I should look into it and plan to fix it.

I've seen a few situations described, I summarize (in order of cheapest):

1) AC idler pulley

2) Timming belt rubbing on timing belt guides

3) Timing belt pulley

4) Starter not retracting

5) Turbo going out

Maybe we should have a vote?

I'm going to the try the cold morning - test the idler without the belt test, probably this weekend.

Just had this happen for the first time this morning. Thought a cat had decided to sleep under the car and half-expected to see one running for its life...I watched for it and for some reason was disappointed, then worried when no cat dashed away.

Strange thing was the rhythmic squeaking it made at idle thereafter. Quick prod of the throttle and the squeak would go away for about 10 seconds and then return. By the time I got down the road a tad and the car warmed up it was gone.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I've got an update!

I was waiting until I did my timing belt as that was due shortly and a few of you mentioned it could have been a pulley.

Replaced timing belt and all the pulleys and the noise was still there so yesterday I replaced the starter and as far as I can tell, the car starts a lot quicker and when the engine turns it feels a lot more solid.

The noise hasn't come back and before I replaced the starter, a couple of times, the engine would turn and then the starter motor would just die and not turn the engine anymore.

It was definitely the starter so if anyone else has a similar noise, I would check that first.

Took me 20 minutes to replace it as well, what an easy fix!

Archived