LegacyGT.com

Ball joint replacement

dbrunone

Never done a ball joint before, but my RF wheel has quite a bit of play when you wiggle it around on a lift...you can see the ball joint is moving around a bit. People talk about pickle forks and presses to replace these things....but the vacation pix FS-16 makes it look like a walk in the park. Take out the retaining bolt, undo the castle nut, slide it out, put the new one in, re-torque bolts. Any tips for replacing this thing? Is it really that easy?

**** no. I cracked a knuckle trying to get my one out and for the other side I didn't even try. Just replaced the knuckle. The ball joint created a mechanical weld and for me was basically impossible to get off. What I would recommend is air tools and a ball joint puller (which you can rent from advance auto or auto zone).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the great links. Well, I went to tackle this today with the special ball tugger. But I didn't even get to that part. While taking out the retaining bolt, it sheared in half inside the steering knuckle, so the head would turn but the tip would not. So I had to take the spindle out and send it to the machine shop...havent heard if I'll need a new knuckle yet. Sad times :-(

Archived