tougefox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reminder- next WRX Atl dinner meet is this coming Tuesday. Great BBQ. gcbbq.net

While the mailing address is in "Roswell" it's actually in NE Cobb.

Who is ready for BBQ?

The next Bi-Weekly WRXAtlanta/86 Atlanta Dinner meet: Grand Champion BBQ, Roswell

[An annual favorite]

7:00 PM June 2nd, June 16th:

Park in the middle of the lot away from the restaurant which is generally pretty open for a good line-up of cars.

If you post 'going' to the FB site it really helps us get a headcount for the Hosts to seat us promptly.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/QXNPW

Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/grand-champion-bbq-roswell

More info on the bi-weekly dinner meets at: http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36125

Yeah, this kit is taking quite a bit of research to make certain to order the right parts to fit this but I am so excited to have such a unique brake setup that's functional and not just for bling. I was gonna do brembos anyhow and these were cheaper so why the heck not try? The rear pistons might be a bit smaller but at least it'll have 2 per side equal clamping force.

They'll be special top hats for the rotors from what I can tell and the Ferodo DS2500 pads I think? I'm hoping to find a more street-driven friendly pad, maybe Project Mu has something? I have no idea what color to paint them, maybe just black or just sand them down and fix the red?

Depends on if you want a stock look, classy look or stand out. Also depends on wheel color and car. I am pretty picking depending on brake color option.

With my SWP, I went with a silver color for the Brembos since my wheels where a little darker. It looks classy and not to standoutish. I would like to get bronze/gold rims downt he road so I didn't paint them that color. Red would be nice but again they would stand out to much in my opinion.

Don't that helped at all haha. And Project Mu breaks are freakin expensive!

Also just noticed, why are there bolts coming out in that direction and not going into from the side?

The bolts were just put in the holes for the time being, not their permanent placement, I have a box full of necessary bolts.

Well I was looking for wheels (2-3 posts), going to sell my stock LGT calipers to someone (1), and I was asking questions about my brakes (1). lol! :p

I did get those XXR 527 wheels for my car b/c they fit perfectly and he added cash on top. He got a good deal and now I know 100% that the brakes will fit under the wheels w/ plenty of clearance. They're 18x8.75 +35 with brand new tires. So no more posts for that. I'm a very active online community member.

http://i.imgur.com/9ggOGh9.jpg

So I know they're not radically different from what I had on the car but they're brand new wheels and tires and they're much bigger than the BBS setup. 18x8.75 +35 w/ 225/40/18 Falken Pro G4 A/S. The tires are stretched for my taste but I now have the wheel size to finally fit 255 or 265s under the car when I go through these.

Brake update: Front will be 2pc DBA cross drilled and slotted 4000 series friction rings (Didn't want to spend $900 on just front rotors) and I'm getting custom top hats made for the front.

The rears will be running the DBA 2657-4653XS cross drilled and slotted rotors to match the fronts but these are 1pc because of parking brake clearance issues. The LGT/WRX uses a 170mm parking brake rather than the STi 190mm. The friction rings and hardware should be on their way soon and then i'll have to buy pads and install all this ridiculousness.

Edited by benfrancis

Anybody else affected by the over 9 hours and counting power outage off Burnt Hickory Rd? Seriously Cobb EMC?

Nah man, I luckily wasn't effected by that. I hope everything is alright now.

On a personal note, I am debating whether this AP brake kit is going to be worth the hassle. So I have to buy:

Rotor rings 330x28mm front & 330x25.5mm rear

Custom make rotor hats: I have NO idea what this will cost...

Pads: Ferodo DS2500 or Project Mu pads (~$350 or so)

I'm weighing my options of trying to sell this kit and get STi brembos which will fit easier but less clamping power overall or push through and get this kit made to fit. Thoughts?

I've always wondered how much clamping power was enough, especially on street tires or even for autocross. I mean, once you exceed the stick of your tires (either tripping ABS or locking up), isn't that all you're going to get? To me it's more about feel and heat dissipation.

I agree, I don't want to over-brake the tires. I want a good feel but I really want something that will resist fade for many many more track days to come. Either way, I want to have this all finished by the August 4th track day at AMP.

• 2 weeks later...

So my ADD has kicked in and I am getting rid of the XXR wheels.. When the guys @ Gran Turismo East told me NOT to hit the track on this setup that got my attention. So I will likely be ordering 18x8 +38 Enkei RPF1s and putting as big of a tire as I can under it, and they'll be Pilot Super Sports. No brake update as of yet, I am trying to trade for Brembos b/c it's just easier for me and then I can be ready for an Aug 4th track day.

What's up with everyone else?

Bought these: http://i.imgur.com/j8DtitS.jpg

Edited by benfrancis

I plan on installing my Q300 this weekend. I need to finish my home subwoofer build as well.

What is the running price for Brembos these days? Maybe some time in the distance future, I can find the money and the justification for them.

I plan on installing my Q300 this weekend. I need to finish my home subwoofer build as well.

What is the running price for Brembos these days? Maybe some time in the distance future, I can find the money and the justification for them.

They run about a grand, I traded the AP brakes for them.