LegacyGT.com

Subaru synthetic oil

I've been trolling on fredbeans and found this

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/maintenance/subaru-sae-5w-30-subaru-synthetic-motor-oil.html

"With the ever changing technology in today’s vehicles, it has never been so important to be

selective on the motor oil we put into the vehicles we service. Subaru is no exception! That is

why Subaru of America Inc. is announcing the Genuine Subaru 5W-30 Motor Oil.

-Recommended for (2010 and prior) Turbo-charged engines but is required for all 2011

Turbo charged engines.

-This oil is also excellent for all non-turbo vehicles with the exception of the new 2011"

does anyone have any experience with it?

After the honeywell oil filter, I find myself hard to trust any SOA's product.

Look like if u dont use this oil for your 2011 turbo, you will void your car's warranty hahaha

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The maintenance requirements must have changed for 2011 for them to be requiring a synthetic now. I doubt anything mechanical changed.

yea, that's what I'm wondering here, and also who made this oil? from wat base stock?

Oil thread is just going on and on and on (thanks SOA for adding another oil into our life :spin:)

I thought SOA (or my dealer) dont recommend using synthetic unless you want to constantly check your oil level so I was told by dealer:confused: all well...(I know most people dont have problem with oil level)

BTW my old dealer used/recommends synthetic blend for oil changes, so the oil shouldnt vanish as fast as synthetic:)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I thought SOA (or my dealer) dont recommend using synthetic unless you want to constantly check your oil level so I was told by dealer:confused: all well...(I know most people dont have problem with oil level)

Checking oil level often on synthetic oil isn't really depending on if the oil is synthetic or not, that's just an excuse from the dealer to avoid irritating customers.

453747.png

Please excuse my ignorance but what's wrong with honeywell oil filters?

Some people feel that you get a subpar product for the price you are paying. Low end honeywell filters like fram extra guard use fiber end caps, while other filters that cost the same price use metal end caps. I've cut open one of our subaru oil filters after an oil change, and rest assured they are very, very strong even though they use fiber end caps.

These pictures are not mine, just to show what I'm talking about. Subie fiber end caps

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1858579&page=3

Other filters metal end caps

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1858579&page=1

Doesnt the GVMT have an issue with this, look into it, air, oil and other such things have to meet standards? Since like the 70's or 80's?? I dont feel like looking.. Just use Syn oil and you will be OK. Us any filter that is approved and you will be OK.. for a list go to the GVMT website and look, pretty much, buy one off the shelf and you will be OK, BUT! Get a better one to protect better, like iso 9001 vs iso9004 standards, things have improved.

BTW my old dealer used/recommends synthetic blend for oil changes, so the oil shouldnt vanish as fast as synthetic:)

I run pure synth in my STI with no useage. Granted, I use Castrol Edge. I hear Subaru engines LOVE to drink Mobil 1 though. As for checking your oil, you really should be doing that at every gas fill up anyways.

• 1 month later...

I have an 08' LGT running stock with the exception of a K&N Airfilter. It ate Mobil 1 for breakfast. My Subaru dealer then recommended using their DINO oil with the MOA Synthetic additive. Ran that for 3,500 and needless to say the car ran like crap.

I switched to using Castrol Edge with either a Mobil 1 EP filter or a K&N filter. If you catch Advanced Auto doing a sale you can get 5qts with either of those filters for $32. The Edge easily holds up for 3,500 mi. and, at least in my situation, can go up to 4,000 mi without eating a drop.

I have an 05 LGT with 84000 and ive been using the oil since its realease ( 3 oil changes now ) along with the honeywell filter. No problems at all, no comsumption and the car runs great. I figure an oil designed for a specific type of engine layout is probably better than an oil meant to perform well for many different engines. Its also priced cheaper than the mobil1 we sell at the dealer.

• 1 month later...
I've been trolling on fredbeans and found this

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/maintenance/subaru-sae-5w-30-subaru-synthetic-motor-oil.html

"With the ever changing technology in today’s vehicles, it has never been so important to be

selective on the motor oil we put into the vehicles we service. Subaru is no exception! That is

why Subaru of America Inc. is announcing the Genuine Subaru 5W-30 Motor Oil.

-Recommended for (2010 and prior) Turbo-charged engines but is required for all 2011

Turbo charged engines.

-This oil is also excellent for all non-turbo vehicles with the exception of the new 2011"

does anyone have any experience with it?

After the honeywell oil filter, I find myself hard to trust any SOA's product.

Look like if u dont use this oil for your 2011 turbo, you will void your car's warranty hahaha

FWIW,

It's federal law, if the manufacture requires that you use their oil. They must supply it free of charge. So may be the Dealer should add "that type of oil" is required.

The consumer has the right to use any oil that meets the requirements. So you don't have to only use Subaru oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you consider the downgrade from the "made in japan" tokio roki to the honeywell, you will see whats wrong with it

I'm not sure about doing this myself but people have been using the tokio roki filter from the 2009 Mazda RX 8.

Any opinions on this oil filter?

I'm about to do an oil change and at the moment I have the factory Subaru oil filter. The only other filter I've been able to find here in the auto shops is mostly Fram. I have seen the Mobil 1 oil filters...

Haven't been able to find a supplier for the Amsoil filters which I hear are also good.

Any thoughts?

Anybody know where the Subaru oil refinery is?

Obviously, they don't have one nor do they manufacture a synthetic oil. The only thing they can require is that, for warranty, you must use the correct API spec oil.

I've been an oil distributor since 1993, the first thing to remember is, the API spec is an additive package, and does not specify what base oil it is added to. The oil companies do their best to hide that information. The only Mobil 1 that is a full synthetic is the 15,000 mile version, the rest are mineral/synthetic blends. If you want full synthetics, find MSDS sheets on the oil you're looking at using. They must disclose the base oil used. BTW, there is nothing wrong with mineral oils, especially if you are changing them every 3000 miles. Synthetics can go longer between changes, 5000 is what I do, but I know I could go longer.

Oil is one of the most intentionally confused products sold, because truthfully, there isn't much difference between them. If you want maximum protection run specialty oils, Redline or Amsoil. They are full synthetics and meet warranty API specs. But, they cost more and if you plan on changing at 3000 miles, just use a brand name oil you buy on sale at Walmart.

"just use a brand name oil you buy on sale at Walmart."

Gee that's what I have been doing for over 139,000 miles now. I also use Fram filters.

Been doing that since I started driving back in 1972.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived