LegacyGT.com

Looking at 09 2.5i

Nc987

Later today I am looking at a 2009 2.5i.

Guy has owned it a year. Has 110000 miles and has had the big timing belt service done. He claims to have a lot of service records.

I have always been interested in Subarus but everyone I know that has owned one has had issues it seems. My parents legacy wagon blew its engine. My three other friends all had hg issues. I want to like them but have always defaulted to toyotas and haven't had a problem yet,

What should I look for when checking out the car?

He is asking 10,600.

You should ask him if he's done the head gaskets already and go under the car and look to see if they are leaking. Honestly that seems like a lot of money for a lot of miles, but it's probably the year that brings the value up. I got my 2007 for about that much $ with 38k on it. Another thing you can listen for on the test drive is for wheel bearings (roaring noise) and that tire wear is even and that all 4 corners have the same type of tire.

Dunno if the one you are looking at is manual or auto, but I have an '09 2.5i with the 5 speed manual. 87,000 miles on mine and really haven't had any issues at all.

At 82K the throw out bearing was done which happens to most of the 5spd cars, and the rear engine main seal had a very minor leak so I had that replaced when they did the clutch. Otherwise it's run perfectly. I average 24mpg in the city and 32-34mpg interstate, but i think most people are getting 21-27 like the window originally said. Just so you know what to expect.

Dunno if the one you are looking at is manual or auto, but I have an '09 2.5i with the 5 speed manual. 87,000 miles on mine and really haven't had any issues at all.

At 82K the throw out bearing was done which happens to most of the 5spd cars, and the rear engine main seal had a very minor leak so I had that replaced when they did the clutch. Otherwise it's run perfectly. I average 24mpg in the city and 32-34mpg interstate, but i think most people are getting 21-27 like the window originally said. Just so you know what to expect.

my 09 limited barely gets better gas mileage than my highly modified 02 wrx. I really wanted the limited, but I wish i went with an SE 5-speed. MPG seems better and I already miss driving stick. :mad:

Depending on where you live seized calipers could be on the horizon. I can't speak for legacys but i know a lot of WRX owners in upstate NY with at least 1 seized caliper by 150k miles. I think the salt contributes a lot to that. A lot of them also AutoX which may not help matters.

My '07 5 speed gets better mileage than my '09 Civic ever did. I don't do very much highway driving at all and I consistently see 25 or 26 mpg. As cold as it's been around here lately I'm seeing 23 or 24.

Sent from a box in my pocket.

I've had my 09 since April and I love it. I bought it with just over 59k miles and I now have over 72k. I've had to replace my pcv valve is all due to oil consumption. Just make sure you use at least a synblend oil or you'll burn through many quarts of oil between oil changes. I use full syn and I still go though about 1 quart between oil changes, but that's normal. I feel as if a lot of n/a Subarus blow engines because people cheap out on oil changes and don't keep it topped off. I work at Jiffy Lube and almost all of the Subarus that come in have no reading on the dipstick. I'm hoping to get at least 250k on this engine before I do a GT or STI swap in it.

I've had my 09 since April and I love it. I bought it with just over 59k miles and I now have over 72k. I've had to replace my pcv valve is all due to oil consumption. Just make sure you use at least a synblend oil or you'll burn through many quarts of oil between oil changes. I use full syn and I still go though about 1 quart between oil changes, but that's normal. I feel as if a lot of n/a Subarus blow engines because people cheap out on oil changes and don't keep it topped off. I work at Jiffy Lube and almost all of the Subarus that come in have no reading on the dipstick. I'm hoping to get at least 250k on this engine before I do a GT or STI swap in it.

i should think the same thing lol.

10.6K for a 2.5i!? I would sell mine in a heartbeat if I could get that much.

I have 110K miles on mine. I've done nothing but change fluids and filters, along with the timing belt service at 100K. This car has been awesome to me. My throw out bearing has been squeaking for a good 20K miles though, and it is sounding a bit rough now. Clutch still grabs plenty fine.

I run 10-11K oil change intervals on mine, with nothing odd showing on used oil analysis reports. My engine has always burned a quart by 5 or 6K miles.

I get 28-31 mpg regularly. Hand calculated, not the optimistic computer BS.

10.6K for a 2.5i!? I would sell mine in a heartbeat if I could get that much.

I have 110K miles on mine. I've done nothing but change fluids and filters, along with the timing belt service at 100K. This car has been awesome to me. My throw out bearing has been squeaking for a good 20K miles though, and it is sounding a bit rough now. Clutch still grabs plenty fine.

I run 10-11K oil change intervals on mine, with nothing odd showing on used oil analysis reports. My engine has always burned a quart by 5 or 6K miles.

I get 28-31 mpg regularly. Hand calculated, not the optimistic computer BS.

Sell it in Utah! This is definitely a Subaru state due to 5 months of snow so they sell for more. I bought mine for 14.5 with 59k miles and that was a pretty good price. People are getting 9-10k for rebuilt titles here depending on mileage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, this is in Washington state where Subarus go for a premium. I am not going to pay 10.6, thats just what he is asking. We will see what happens. Trying to get a toyota corolla first, if that falls through then Subaru is my fall back plan.

I had an automatic 2002 Corolla two daily drivers ago. I hated it. It barely got better gas mileage despite its 30/40mg rating. My Legacy 6MT is much faster and funner to drive. The 1.8 motor has no torque. That engine sucks on the highway, normal acceleration just takes forever, unless you floor the gas and then the engine noise is horribly annoying. You can tell on hot day when the A/C is on as well. The Legacy is no speed demon either.

I recently had a 2013 Corolla rental, its the same engine and underwhelming acceleration. Gas mileage again was only slightly better than my Legacy. I would never buy one again.

Bought my 2010 2.5i Premium 6mt for 12.5k 9 months ago with 75k on it. Just to put a price on the newer body. Though most comparable were more in the 16.5k range with slightly less miles(around 50k). I think I got a hell of a deal.

Archived