LegacyGT.com

New 2.0 Turbo for Subaru, due to debut in the new Legacy.

An owner of one from Japan posted it over at nasioc in the News & Rumors forum (can't link nasioc from work). Legacy DIT thread (Direct Injection Turbo). If we enthusiasts like it, that means that it probably won't be available in N. America. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

-Dennis

• Moderators

FWIW, cars101.com 'confirmed' the addition of the 2.0L DIT engine for the 2013 WRX a little while back...

12/10/11 Will the next WRX please stand up.. 2013 WRX 2.0L turbo coming

'Subaru has confirmed that the next-generation Subaru WRX, due as a 2013 model, will be powered by a turbocharged version of the new FA direct-injection, 2.0-liter flat-four that debuted in the BRZ sports car. There’s no word from Subaru on what will be under the next STI’s hood, but it’ll almost certainly be a more powerful iteration of the WRX’s 2.0-liter.

The current WRX features a 265-hp, turbocharged 2.5-liter flat four, and despite the lower displacement, we don’t expect the next car’s output to be any lower. As for the next STI, we already know it will pack at least 300 hp. Both cars will move to a dedicated platform when they are redesigned instead of being modified Imprezas as they have been in the past. Happily, the muscular duo is expected to weigh less than the current models. If you’re wondering whether the turbocharged 2.0-liter will show up in the BRZ or its Scion FR-S twin, you’re not alone. Subaru says it won’t, but we don’t believe them." from Car and Driver

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Oh cool! I just like that this one has a few more specifics. Like the actual power output, which is 296, and that sounds like that's what the legacy is getting, which is huge! I thought it was interesting, so I posted it up here. Sorry if I was coming off as the first to know, because that is definitely not the case.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/subaru-fa20-turbo-engine-debuts-start-dreaming-about-a-boosted-brz/

Check it out. Looks like they moved the turbo down below. That should be fun. But, 296hp from a 2.0 from the factory, similar to Evo. Not bad.

Old news:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-diti-185236.html

and the turbo has been down below on the Legacy since the 2010 came out in 2009

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know, because they said it may be in the Scion FR-S which is the USDM version of the FT86. So, I think it may get it, but again, who knows.

It's slated to go in the 2013 WRX. Where it goes after that is anyone's guess.

According to the rags, the WRX/STi is eventually supposed to break away from the Impreza in the next couple of years into its own car, with a 1.6 liter turbo for a most triumphant return to WRC.

I'm assuming they didn't develop the FA20T strictly for JDM & EDM markets and a ~2 year run here in the US. I would imagine it'll find a home in a yet to be built Impreza GT or maybe a new Legacy GT. A turbo BRZ makes so much sense to me, and yet it goes against the engineer's design philosophies for it.

2 issues:

I will be surprised if North America sees a 296 HP turbo in a standard Legacy, with or without MT. A de-tuned turbo would not surprise me, in the future, but with CVT. I expect that small displacement turbos are where we are headed.

I fear for the future of MT in larger cars, like the Legacy. SOA says that next year, they will only offer MT on the base model Legacy. They are simply following Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Ford (Fusion), and most others from America and Japan. Except for a few European makers, this is the norm.

How nice it would be to have even a 225 HP turbo with MT in a standard Legacy. I suppose I can dream...

Best.

Byll

parts wise, it would make sense to have one 6cyl, one N/A 4cyl and one Turbo 4cyl motor across all lines. 3 motors, same 3 ecu's, same headers.

All they would need to do is adjust the ECU for drive-ability and transmission selection.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Comes w/CVT exclusively in the Legacy..?

I know purists don't like the cvt, but the cvt and turbo are made for each other (if the cvt holds up). The cvt keeps the engine in the rev range and makes a turbo sing. That car would take of like a fighter jet. Always in the proper rev range for the turbo to put out max boost.

I've owned at least five turbo cars over the years and can attest to the problems turbo lag and boost bleed off have for generate a smooth flow of power.

I know purists don't like the cvt, but the cvt and turbo are made for each other (if the cvt holds up). The cvt keeps the engine in the rev range and makes a turbo sing. That car would take of like a fighter jet. Always in the proper rev range for the turbo to put out max boost.

I've owned at least five turbo cars over the years and can attest to the problems turbo lag and boost bleed off have for generate a smooth flow of power.

+1. I love rowing through the gears, but would totally take the CVT/turbo combo for the reasons you state.

+1. I love rowing through the gears, but would totally take the CVT/turbo combo for the reasons you state.

Absolutely. Rowing through the gears is the way to go with a turbo in comparison to a traditional slush box.

Think about what a turbo and cvt would be like though. Stay off the accelerator and the mpg would be great. Punch it and the turbo would spool up and boost would build and be constant right up to the top end.

Archived