LegacyGT.com

n00b question | Do all 3rd Gen OBXT accept same mods?

Might be buying an '09 OBXT. Before I do, I would like to know if all 3rd generation Outbacks will accept the same mods? I'd love to lower the stance, change the grill to an earlier OBXT (such as the '07 model), and be able to reflash/upgrade the ECU with a new tune.

Is there anything specific about 2009 model that I should know about before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

The delta list is pretty much exactly the same as the LGT models, lots of threads out there.

Grill, headlights, AND bumper cover are different on 05-07 and 08-09. Gotta change it all.

07+ are CANBus for ECU. Needs specific cable that supports it, cannot use the VAGCOM model.

Lowering an OB is a contradiction IMO. You want a lowered stance?!? Buy an LGT, Subaru already took care of it!

• 4 weeks later...

can i ask without being flamed...

I see you say the 05-07 is different then the 08/09, fine that makes sense.

Grills for a 08/09 legacy gt should fit an 08 outback then? im looking for a black mesh empty grill like some members have on their 05-07. just trying to figure out if i find one for the 08/009 lgt, it will fit my outback xt.

thanks

No, a Legacy grille will not fit your Outback XT. The Outback grilles are considerably bigger, and the hood and bumper designs are different. The Legacy hood curves around the top of the grille, your Outback hood is nearly straight, with chrome trim attached to your hood and not the top of the grille.

Grills for a 08/09 legacy gt should fit an 08 outback then? im looking for a black mesh empty grill like some members have on their 05-07. just trying to figure out if i find one for the 08/009 lgt, it will fit my outback xt.

thanks

The answer is a resounding, "No!"

The Legacy grill and the Outback grill are not even close with regards to shape. Study the perimeter lines and you'll see it right away.

I too would like a mesh grill, but as far as I can tell, it is going to have to be a custom job. I'm seriously considering doing just that and would likely document the process to share with others.

Finally, some OEM grill pics for reference:

Legacy:

http://images01.olx.com/ui/2/24/28/36731628_1.jpg

Outback:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/uclamutt/DSC_1876.jpg

Archived