LegacyGT.com

Matching paint or close to it?

donyzfr1

I have the 05 OBSIDIAN BLACK PEARL LGT and my rear wing is fading. It is the only paint defect on the car, so i want to remove it, prep it, sand it, paint and clear coat it. The only problem Im having is finding the darn paint. Dupli color makes BSU 1349 which is the paint but you can't order it nor any store like advance or auto zone or pep boys. WOW I see it on the computer and can't get it LOL. I wonder what universal black would look like. I can't stand the wing looking like that. Any suggestions

Just go down to your local auto body supply shop and give them the color code and spray a base/clear coat. They can mix up a rattle can of base color it for about $15. Buy a $6 can of clear coat and you are set! They can even come and look at the paint on your car and match that. Best way to go.

Let us know how it works out. All the work is the prep. Painting is fun. Get a tack rag if you can. In between coats you can use it to pick up any dust. If you don't wait very long in between coats (including the clear coat) you shouldn't need to do any additional sanding. Go with two light mists of color, then a third wet coat. If it is warm out then you don't have to wait much more than 8-15 minutes between coats. When you put on a coat it will look glossy, then the 'flash' will go away and it will look a bit duller. Then you know it is time for the next coat. Repeat the same process with the clear. If you have to wait longer than a half hour or so between the base and the clear you don't have to sand in between coats. Good luck! :)

No problem! I like to paint. :)

Get a few sheets of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to scuff up your old paint. It will make your paint stick better. Tear it into 2"x3" pieces or whatever seems to work for you and use it to wet sand, dunking the paper every couple minutes. As soon as it feels like the paper dulls and isn't doing anything toss it and grab another piece.

Then rinse and wash with a bit of dish soap, and rinse again. Let dry and paint! If you really want to get crazy, you can get some degreaser to prep the surfaces. Not necessary, but nice if you do. You can get a large gallon container of degreaser for $16, or get a spray can of it for $9 or so. Simple Green works well too.

If you get any runs in between coats, use some 400 grit to smooth it out, and your tack rack to pick up the dust. Runs are not the end of the world.

STOP! If it has simply dulled out, try power polishing it first. Also, rattle can clear is mostly garbage. It has no true UV protection, and will fail prematurely. If it's something you want done right, use quality products, and quality does not come out of a rattle can. Clear gets its UV protection from hardeners, and there are none in rattle clear. Did you consider an estimate from a bodyshop?

Polishing or power polishing won't help. The paint is gone, the wing is turning white. Polishing may take more paint off LOL. Paint and body shops are ridiculous, $800 just for painting the wing Please!!! I ordered some from automotive touchup (micro finish), I see they have a lot of good reviews. But $800 kiss may a*$. LOL

What kind of wing are you talking about? A factory spoiler shouldn't be any more than 1 hour to paint, and an additional .3 to clear. 1.3 hrs x shop rate, plus materials. It shouldn't cost you any more than a couple hundred bucks. Shop around. Unless you have a complicated aftermarket wing, then it might be more labor intensive. It will be cheaper in the short term to do it yourself, but a professional paint job will stand the test of time.

Its just the factory spoiler (wing). I think since I already have the paint I will try it myself and maybe next year I will have the whole car painted back black. But for now money is funny and my wife would have a fit if I paid $800 to have the wing only painted. Hell I think I would too lol

Archived