LegacyGT.com

Anyone start burning/losing oil after Stage 2

These things use oil get used to it.

Check the oil every few days and top it off every time. DO NOT let the oil get low. You well be sorry you did.]

Oh, what upgrades do you do to the tranny for stage 2 ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

These things use oil get used to it.

Check the oil every few days and top it off every time. DO NOT let the oil get low. You well be sorry you did.]

Oh, what upgrades do you do to the tranny for stage 2 ?

Just a tranny cooler. I'm going to buy ClimberD's valve body mod but I won't be able to install until the spring due to unheated garage.

Just a tranny cooler. I'm going to buy ClimberD's valve body mod but I won't be able to install until the spring due to unheated garage.

Good to know you've done your homework. It should be cool enough for the next few months you may not need it. Just be careful with the trans.

How many miles on the engine ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Good to know you've done your homework. It should be cool enough for the next few months you may not need it. Just be careful with the trans.

I've got 76,000 on the car, went stage 1 about 50,000 miles and stage 2e85 at 75,000. I just switched it back to 91oct for the winter. I don't race or drag (although plan on hitting the strip once next year) so I don't go WOT very often. I do like to give it some throttle but just not WOT that often.

Spring to do list:

1) vBod mod

2) TD05 18g & new intercooler with tune (maybe w/e85 but 91oct may be enough for me)

3) maybe center diff bushing install

I've found with more HP you don't need to use as much throttle. That's pretty much how I drive the wagon, just short burst fo WOT every now and then.

I find the car will accelerate quicker and quicker as the rpms build and I haven't moved the throttle. Pretty cool feeling.

So what you're saying is that since I don't have a tranny cooler or the funds to get the valve body, I shouldn't go Stage 2 ?

Oh well...

I have 95k on my car, with about 20k stage 2. I don't burn any oil as far as I can tell, but I don't boost around much other than the occasional sprint and monthly highway merge.

I also do oil changes around 4000 miles with 5w-30. I used Mobil 1 for a few changes and the last 2 have been Pennzoil platinum synthetic.

I think it's been fine for me. I only check the dipstick nowadays and it seems to be steady through the duration of the OCI. I went 5100 on Mobil 1 the first time, 3000 on the next Mobil 1, 4000 on Pennzoil, and I have Pennzoil in it now and will probably do my normal 4000-4500 OCI.

To explain the 3000 Mobil 1, I thought I might have been losing oil, but it turned out I didn't torque the crush washer enough and had a very slow drip. FWIW I had a compression test done in Jan. of last year and had an even 140psi on all cylinders

I drain into a 15Q container, so I don't know the exact quantity that came out. I typically add 4.2 quarts per oil change.

So what you're saying is that since I don't have a tranny cooler or the funds to get the valve body, I shouldn't go Stage 2 ?

Oh well...

Just telling the OP what I've learned from reading the forum for 7 years. Automatics don't handle the extra power as well as a manual.

I have no personal experience because I normally don't buy cars with automatics.

Just telling the OP what I've learned from reading the forum for 7 years. Automatics don't handle the extra power as well as a manual.

I have no personal experience because I normally don't buy cars with automatics.

I've heard horror stories of the autos not holding up with much past stage 1, which is why i'm skeptical. I was feeling ambitious one day and snapped up an UP and DP, but now I think I may just re-sell them to someone who won't just stare at them. No problem. I would've got a 5mt, but they weren't available when my old car bit the dust :(

actually i can find it at wallmart for the best price.but it sells out quick!

try autozone or pepboys or whatever auto parts place is near you...

What I have learned about oil lately is buy it before you need it. If you wait until the week you need it...you know they won't have what you want.

Archived